RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: New Members - Anonymous - 08-28-2002

Howdy,<br>
<br>
I've been registered for quite a while but have never posted...<br>
<br>
I honestly do not remember how I found this site, probably on the ancmed e-list on Yahoo. I'm in the Seattle area and am mostly interested in wargaming with either cardboard or minis. I predict that I will lurk most of the time since my knowledge is limited.<br>
<br>
I am interested primarily in the Punic wars, and I have a soft spot for all aspects of naval matters.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Greg<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 08-28-2002

Welcome Greg, check out the Historical Gaming and Modelling section when you get a chance.<br>
<br>
BTW, often I have nothing intelligent to say either, but that doesn't usually stop me! <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 08-28-2002

Actually, tiberius, you often have quite a bit of intelligence when you post...However, your sense of humor is warped, just like the rest of us...E EM<br>
<br>
Welcome, Greg...fresh opinions are very well received here, and believe you can learn quite a bit... <p>Marcus Bruttius Romulus<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio III Augusta</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-04-2002

Hey, I've been looking for good history-related boards, and this one kicks <i> ass</i>.<br>
<br>
To answer the questions from the first post:<br>
<br>
- I'm in Eugene, Oregon, and yes, it's true about the hippies!<br>
<br>
- I've been discovering my love for history over the last few years, and as they say, all roads lead to Rome. I also discovered one of those cheap uncleaned Roman coin auctions on eBay, and I've been an enthusiast ever since. <p><div align="center"><font size="-1">A.D. 793. This year came dreadful fore-warnings over the land of
the Northumbrians, terrifying the people most woefully: these
were immense sheets of light rushing through the air, and
whirlwinds, and fiery, dragons flying across the firmament.
These tremendous tokens were soon followed by a great famine: and
not long after, on the sixth day before the ides of January in
the same year, [url=http://pub78.ezboard.com/bhistoryboard" target="_new]the harrowing inroads of heathen men[/url] made
lamentable havoc in the church of God in Holy-island, by rapine
and slaughter.<br><br><i>- The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle</i></font></div></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 09-05-2002

Welcome GVX! Hope you enjoy it here. Ask away and feel free to jump in. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-06-2002

I am new to the subject..............<br>
I visited Rome last year and I left with a story.............<br>
I am writing a book about the life and times of Julia Caesar.<br>
It has taken over my life. I feel I am living with one foot here and one foot in Rome 2,000 years ago........It has been very exciting. I am looking forward to sharing with all of you and hope to gain some of your knowledge. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-07-2002

Why thank you Marcus. I've always said you are a gentleman and a scholar.<br>
<br>
Julia, welcome to RAT. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised with the amount of information and resources the members here have to offer.<br>
<br>
Enjoy! <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 09-07-2002

Welcome Julia Caesar! Please do share and feel free to ask. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-09-2002

Welcome Julia.<br>
A fellow writer is always welcome<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>

NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-10-2002

Hi all,<br>
<br>
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada with my husband and 2 dogs. (Kids grew up and left *sob*)<br>
<br>
I became interested in Roman history when I read Rosemary Sutcliffe's books as a kid (That woman has a lot to answer for). My interest was reinforced by visits to Hadrian's Wall and other Roman sites when I was a teenager. I have quite a large library of reference books on Roman history, daily life, the Roman army, etc. and also quite a few books about the Celts. I also love to read historical novels from any period.<br>
<br>
I am currently working on a novel set in Roman Britain myself. Although I am a published writer, I have not actually written a novel before. I've been working on this one for years, though, haha.<br>
<br>
Hope to take part in some great discussions. Sometimes I'm kind of opinionated. But I'm polite, so I hope no one minds.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-10-2002

You are very welcome Aelyn.<br>
Don't worry differences in opinion can provoke some great<br>
discussions!<br>
Just curious....<br>
What reference books have you found to be<br>
the most helpful?<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-10-2002

Saskatchewan eh? See? Us Canucks are taking over, just like in hockey! E EM<br>
<br>
Welcome to the board Wendy! Look forward to your opinions in our debates! <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>

Books - Anonymous - 09-11-2002

Hi Quintus and Magnus,<br>
<br>
Yay Canada! We too have a proud military tradition.<br>
<br>
Quintus you have asked me a difficult question because I have so many books. I am a Roman-History-Book-aholic. Borrowing from the library is not good enough for me 'cause I don't want to give them back! And now I can order books from all over the world on the internet--argh! I have to admit that I haven't read all the books I own, but use some of them to look up specific stuff when I need it. I really like the Penguin Classics translations of Roman writers like Cicero, Pliny the Younger, Julius Caesar, Marcus Aurelius and Juvenal.<br>
<br>
I also like to get books with lots of illustrations and pictures because I'm very visually oriented. Some of these books are written for younger people, but that doesn't make them any less helpful. I really like Peter Connolly's 'Roman World' series (Oxford University Press).<br>
I have 'The Roman Fort', 'The Legionary' and 'The Cavalryman'. Great illustrations!<br>
<br>
'Life and Letters on the Roman Frontier' by Alan K. Bowman is also an excellent book with information taken from the excavations at the Vindolanda fort, Hadrian's Wall.<br>
<br>
Aelyn<br>
<br>
"Enter into the ruling principle of your neighbour's mind, and suffer him to enter into yours."--Marcus Aurelius<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: Books - Robert Vermaat - 09-17-2002

A fellow-book-a-holic, great! You should see my library...<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Robert<br>
Vortigern Studies<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum' <p></p><i></i>

New Member - Anonymous - 09-19-2002

Salvete Omnes.<br>
<br>
No more lurking for me. The Off Topic thread concerning 'addiction' persuaded me to come out in the open. I found R.A.T. about 8 months ago, but only recently started following regularly. I too check R.A.T several times a day. And I'm hooked.<br>
<br>
My primary interest is the First Punic War timeframe but I've been collecting books about Rome generally for several years. I started with McCullough's series - but only after watching the "I, Claudius' PBS series and reading the books.<br>
<br>
I am an active duty Army Officer at Oregon State University. I'm not doing re-enactment now, but that's a possibility in the future.<br>
<br>
<br>
Dave Loeffler <p></p><i></i>