RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 10-06-2002

Hello Marcus and Welcome.<br>
Visit often and enjoy yourself.<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>

Salve - Anonymous - 10-07-2002

I'm attending school in Colchester in England and every time a new building is built a team has to be called in to check for archeological finds first. The area is full of Roman culture.<br>
<br>
I've also got an interest in history in a number of widely-spread areas, from the Mongol hordes, to medieval Russia to the Jacobite Rebellions.<br>
<br>
I'm studying for Latin and Greek GCSEs and I'm a prolific reader so I often buy Herodotus, Polybius or some Plato and read it. I already had a latent interest in Rome, particularly the Punic wars so I thought I might take a look here.<br>
<br>
I'm also interested in the wars of Marius and Sulla, the reforms of the Gracchi, the Severans and the post-Roman Visigothic kingdoms, among other areas. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Salve - Robert Vermaat - 10-10-2002

Shadow, are you in touch with the Colchester Roman Society? (homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.martin/CRS/index.html Sounds like that could be just the group for you.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum' <p></p><i></i>

New Recruit - Anonymous - 10-13-2002

Avete folks!<br>
<br>
I'm Eric Morse from Toronto, age 53, former Canadian diplomat, now propagandameister in amateur sport and Canadian Olympic movement, occasional writer. Been fascinated by Rome since childhood, never grew out of it. I did a couple of stints with the Vergilian Society in early 80s at Cumae and the Limes Germanicus. Any other veterani Vergiliani around the forum??<br>
<br>
I've never done any reenactment stuff, mainly because (a) I never heard of a unit close to Toronto and (b) I don't drive so unless we're drilling in Queen's Park (a definite security menace) it's pretty hard to do.<br>
<br>
I once wrote a scenario for a TV series set in the northern wars of Marcus Aurelius, sort of MASH/Deep Space Nine by Glenn Cook out of David Drake. If anyone knows how to peddle that sucker I'd be fascinated. The deranged and amusing cast includes Nottfried Bierfahrtsson the German kid mascot who pees in the tribune's boots before mess dinner, Ballista the fat old one-eyed artillery centurion, Winifried the German Priestess who lives in a Sacred Oak Tree six miles into enemy territory 'It's drafty but the rent is cheap and it's sacred, you know.' and gives Friday night sex-and-sorcery lessons to Carnifex the legionary surgeon, Hermann the local cathouse operator, rum-runner and intelligence thingy, and M Furius Valeria Victrix, a young centurion with a Deep Dark Secret, revealed in the pilot...<br>
<br>
Glad to be with you,<br>
<br>
Eric <p></p><i></i>

Vale Masavo! - Anonymous - 10-13-2002

Masavo I envy the daylights out of you! I spent a wonderful day at Vindolanda around 86 ( thats NINETEEN-86!) and have read as much as I can find on the topic.<br>
<br>
Eric <p></p><i></i>

Recruits - Anonymous - 10-13-2002

I love the site too Silver Fox...see you around and about.<br>
<br>
Eric from Toronto <p></p><i></i>

New Recruit - Anonymous - 10-14-2002

Another SPQR Australis!<br>
<br>
57 year old ex pom who spent his youth exploring Hadrians Wall and other Roman sites in UK. Captured by Rosemary Sutcliffe and Henry Treece as a kid.<br>
<br>
Now pining....everything in Australia is either 200 years old or 40,000.....nothing in between.<br>
<br>
A bit of a scholar and loook forward to learning something. I have already learnt something about Varus.<br>
<br>
Ave <p></p><i></i>

Welcome Spurius - richsc - 10-14-2002

Greetings Spurius! Don't want to post a bit of the plot do you? <p></p><i></i>

\'Black Eagle\' scenario - Anonymous - 10-14-2002

Hi Rich!<br>
<br>
I could do that since it's registered with the screenwriters guild. Just not sure how. What it is is a scenario with a cast of major and minor characters, and a plot outline for a pilot.<br>
<br>
Here's a few paragraphs anyway...remember it's aimed at production executives, not aficionados like us...<br>
<br>
'The Scenario<br>
<br>
It is about 172 AD - midpoint in the Great Northern War. The scene is set in "the Fort", a nameless fortress about ten miles west of the Third Legion's base at Regensburg on the Danube. It is the linchpin between the fighting sectors and the (almost) quiet Military District of the Rhine. It is nameless because it is the base of the Black Legion.<br>
<br>
The Black Legion officially does not exist. The Ninth Legion was destroyed on the Eastern Front six years ago. Three cohorts of the Ninth were left in garrison in Germany. When the Legion was destroyed and its Eagle burned in disgrace, the three cohorts should have been broken up and spread out among other units. But the survivors threatened mutiny, and while the Imperial High Command was making up its mind what to do about them, the Germans invaded in force, and suddenly the High Command had other problems. AND needed three veteran cohorts very badly. So the unit - effective strength about 1500 - was reorganized as the 35th Independent Cohort of Roman Citizen Volunteers, brigaded with the Third Legion Italica at Regensburg, and told to go hold the section of the frontier west of the town. They have been holding it ever since, through some heavy fighting in a sector that doesn't always get much attention from the Big Show farther east.<br>
<br>
The 35th didn't take the reclassification kindly, it was an insult. To themselves, they were still the Ninth Hispana and ever more would be so. But the Ninth is disgraced, and its name may be not be mentioned aloud in public. So they call themselves the Black Legion. They have made another Eagle, and have painted it black instead of gold, and it goes into battle before them. Since last year (the pilot), it goes before the Emperor Marcus Aurelius himself.<br>
<br>
The year before our series begins, the tribes across the frontier got active. In a surprise attack they surrounded and mauled a piece of the Third on a supply mission to The Fort. The Black Legion got wind of the attack and in a desperate counterattack rescued what they could of the convoy. The counterattack was made by a scratch team led by Staff Sergeant (Optio) Marcus Furius Valeria Victrix. Now he is a Centurion, promoted and decorated by the hand of the Emperor. What even the Emperor didn't know till just a bit too late isâ€â€Â

Sounds like a great new thread - richsc - 10-14-2002

Thanks for posting that! It should really be a new thread, as I'm sure folks would like to hammer away at this one! Maybe off topic? <p></p><i></i>

\'Black Eagle\' - Anonymous - 10-14-2002

I'll welcome your guidance on that one Rich. I'm so new here I haven't figured out the mechanics of the site properly, just posted something on 'time perception compression' issues and can't figure out where it went...thought I'd started a new thread.<br>
<br>
Eric <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 10-15-2002

Magnus<br>
<br>
Thanks for the link to the psychology of combat. It's much more than I expected to find -- very useful and much food for thought.<br>
<br>
masavo <p></p><i></i>

Re: Women Re-enactors/Bread? - Anonymous - 10-15-2002

Richard<br>
<br>
Thanks for the link to Legio XX's caupona. That's the kind of thing I'd like to do.<br>
<br>
Can you tell me how Roman soldiers bakeed their bread -- what kind of ovens did they use?<br>
<br>
Is it correct that forts had no messes and that soldiers cooked and ate in their contubernia?<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
masavo <p></p><i></i>

Re: Vindolanda - Anonymous - 10-15-2002

Eric<br>
<br>
Vindolanda has come a long way since 1986. About time you paid another visit.<br>
<br>
You can find out more at www.vindolanda.com<br>
<br>
One of the notable finds from 2001 was what's described as a centurion's helmet plume made of local hair moss. There's a photo of it on the website, in the Archaeology and Excavations section (for late 2001).<br>
<br>
A book that's worth a read: Garrison Life at Vindolanda: A Band of Brothers by Anthony Birley (Tempus 2002), available from the website's excellent bookstore (no, I'm not getting paid for this plug -- you can get it from amazon too). It brings together all the discoveries, including the most interesting writing tablets, right up to 2001 and paints a vivid, detailed picture of life in an auxiliary fort c. 100 AD. One of the most striking things is how literate everybody was, even slaves (and women).<br>
<br>
Just about my favourite message is from decurion Masclus out on patrol with a vexillation. After requesting further instructions from the C.O. back at the fort, he adds: "The lads have no beer. Please order some to be sent."<br>
<br>
I like your screenplay.<br>
<br>
masavo<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Vindolanda - Anonymous - 10-15-2002

Hi Masavo!<br>
<br>
Was hoping you'd show up again soon! Glad you liked the screenplay, thought at least one character would appeal :-)<br>
<br>
I'd LOVE to revisit Vindolanda, if I ever get the money. I'm going to lay hands on that Birley book, just hope amazon.ca stocks it...I've had recent bad experiences with any kind of cross-border shipment. I didn't think much of A Birley's book on Severus but I'm willing to try him again on firmer ground...<br>
<br>
I have a particular question about a Vindolanda tablet translation. Should I pass it by you privately or throw it up here? How's your camp-Latin? My ANY Latin is despicable but I caught this one going by.<br>
<br>
Question for everyone...if you're aiming a question at someone in particular and you don't know their e-mail (most dont seem to have them in their profiles including me, for some reason, where's the best place to post? For that matter how do you navigate the threads and replies here? I'm having a very hit or miss time, took me ages to find a thread I'd started.<br>
<br>
Eric (L. Spurius Rutabaga Cocles)<br>
[email protected] <p></p><i></i>