RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: Ave, What\'s up doc? - Praefectusclassis - 01-12-2003

Hoi Sebastian,<br>
My work at Nijmegen University <em>currently</em> does not entail any academic research, but there's a very good chance that pretty soon it will. Then I'll be paid to continue to work on the Roman Imperial Navy, instead of doing it in my own spare time. Weehee! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: Ave, What\'s up doc? - drsrob - 01-14-2003

Hi all<br>
<br>
I'm relatively new on the forum, although I've already been engaged in some interesting debates. I only came across this thread today. It's a bit late, but I'll introduce myself now.<br>
<br>
My name is Rob Wolters. I'm from the Netherlands (Leiderdorp, near Leiden) I studied history at the University in Leiden and did a workshop in the Dutch Army museum, working on the Dutch East-Indies Army. Following this a wrote an article for Armamentaria (publ. of said museum) on the subject. I'm not currently employed in this field. Rather, I sell motorcycles (another hobby!)<br>
<br>
I have long (I'm 41 now) been interested in various military subjects. The Roman Army has always been one of them. I restarted on it recently and came across this site. I joined immediatly!<br>
I've a modest library but with about 125 on Rome and related subjects ( EM , I didn't count them before) I read a lot, but only recently started to write things down. That means that I regularly have to check about 20 books before I find were I read something. You can imagine what happens when I read it in a book I don't own! E EM<br>
<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Rob Wolters <p></p><i></i>

new recruit - Anonymous - 01-16-2003

Hello,<br>
<br>
I'm a 40 something female, originally from the U.K but now living in Israel.<br>
<br>
-How'd you become interested in Roman history?<br>
Just to be original(?) -by reading The Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch etc as a teenager.<br>
<br>
-Why are you here?<br>
My interest in ancient Rome has recently been re-ignited and I'm eager to learn more on the subject. I've always been particularily fascinated by Roman Britain and as it seems you can't get away from the influence of the army in that province, my curiosity has been straying towards the military in general.<br>
I stumbled on this forum quite a while ago, and don't seem to be able to keep away. It's not just all the knowledge that gets bandied about-and that's impressive-I kind of like the warped sense of humor too!<br>
<br>
-Do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional...?<br>
No, no, and no. The nearest I ever got to anything academic was volunteering on a few Roman period digs. That by the way, was back in the good old days when one could still get paid for the privelage of mattocking and shovelling rather than vice versa!<br>
Well that's about it. I look forward to be a part of this forum although I won't be able to contribute much.<br>
<br>
Jackie.<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: Ave, What\'s up doc? - richsc - 01-16-2003

Salve Jackie! Welcome to RAT. I too can't seem to keep away.<br>
Did you see the threads on Masada etc? You at least are much better situated than any of us to go poke around.<br>
<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

re:new recruits - Anonymous - 01-17-2003

Hello Richard<br>
Thank you for the welcome. I did check out the Masada threads. Very interesting but a bit disappointing too I guess.<br>
I can understand Dan and Luca's enthusiasm to get stuck in there though. The few times I've visited Masada I've wondered about those siege camps. You can see their outlines so tantalizingly clearly from the top of the mountain. It does seem such a waste of oppurtunity that they are just sitting there on the hillsides apparently unexcavated.<br>
I would love to take part in excavations if the chance ever arose-preferably in the winter! Only problem is I couldn't quite see hubby agreeing to look after the kids whilst I disappeared in to the desert for a few weeks.<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Hi there - Anonymous - 01-23-2003

New guy from Roseburg Oregon. I've been trolling here getting Lorica construction help for a while. Great site! <p></p><i></i>

Re: re:new recruits - richsc - 01-23-2003

Salve Chuck; if you're looking for lorica experts this has to be the place to start. Are you thinking of doing it yourself? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: Hi there - Anonymous - 01-23-2003

Yes, So far I have plans (did the cardboard model last night!)to do everything but the hinges. I have doubts on my skills in that department!<br>
<br>
I read a post saying "we are not building Rocketships"...That is a good statement that I'll take to heart!E EM <p></p><i></i>

Re: re:new recruits - richsc - 01-23-2003

There are sources for hinges for Corbridge A and Newstead, I do believe. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

intro - Anonymous - 01-24-2003

Hi, you've got a great board. I've been a serious Roman military history student for 30 years or more, and look forward to our association. <p></p><i></i>

Re: intro - Praefectusclassis - 01-24-2003

Hi Edward,<br>
Thanks for the compliment and welcome to the board! The only way we can keep it this good is by getting contributions from all the RAT-ers, so get posting!<br>
<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: intro - richsc - 01-25-2003

Salve Edward; I see you are preparing a lecture: where are you giving this? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: intro - Anonymous - 01-25-2003

Hi Richard,<br>
<br>
I'll be giving a talk at a university seminar group up here in icy Amherst, MA. I've in the past done much the same thing at the Roman Army Course held in Durham, England hosted by Brian Dobson. I know at least one of our correspondents on this board have also been there, and the likes of Peter Connolly are regulars. Now, that's a tough audience!<br>
<br>
Perhaps you can help me. By your reply you saw a post I made re: the Varusschlacht. Stupid as this sounds, I can't seem to find the beast. Can you point me in the right direction?<br>
<br>
Thanks <p></p><i></i>

Re: intro - Praefectusclassis - 01-25-2003

Hi Edward,<br>
You'll find your thread [url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm10.showMessage?topicID=214.topic" target="top]here[/url]<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: intro - Anonymous - 01-26-2003

Thank you, Jasper- got it. Now, if I can only find it again..... <p></p><i></i>