RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: Greetings from Roman Tribune - richsc - 03-06-2003

Salve Stickers. Where did you do your SCA bit? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

SCA - Anonymous - 03-06-2003

New Zealand - Christchurch (Barony (then the Shire) of Southron Gaard) and Wellington (Incipient Shire of Darchester).<br>
<br>
It was a lot of fun - I was a stick jock with more enthusiasm and agression than skill who left the serious stuff to those better suited to it and tried not to spoil their game either <p></p><i></i>

Re: hi folks - Anonymous - 03-09-2003

OK Third time is the Charm they say. I have been a Roman History buff since I was a kid and had to look up my patron saint as part of Catechism class. St Martin was a Roman Soldier who gave a piece of his cloak to an old lady. That is about all I can remember, but I liked the picture of the uniform, that must have been in 1st or 2nd grade.<br>
I am 48 now living in Santa Monica, CA by the beach, otherwise I couldn't stand the heat and the smog here.<br>
I recently reread Gibbon for the 3rd time and still find Julian to be the great Emperor who could have been. Kind of the Kennedy of his day. Severus Alexander is one emperor who deserves further investigation as possibly one of the unacknowledged good guys. I am an amateur historian, political activist and concerned that postmodern america is about to shift from Republic to Empire. I don't think that Bush rates as an Octavian though.<br>
I guess I would be with Spartacus when the slaves revolted. Maybe with Cataline in his debt relief plan, the Gracchi's with their relief for the poor and a supporter of the plebs when it came to where I stood in the republican political scene. Although my personal area of expertise would be the transition from Roman to Byzantine and from Pagan to Christian Empire.<br>
I was all over Gladiator for the way it compressed the history of Commodus from 12 years to what seemed to be a few months in the movie.<br>
I feel that the Roman Army was as good as ever right up to the middle of the 5th century in the west. The problem seemed to be a lack of good leadership, corruption at the top. and ongoing incurrsion of moblie Barbarian forces, but most of all a represive tax and social structure that made the barbarians often seem as liberators than as enemies at the gate. This especially became true in the 6th century when the armies of Justinian and the various germanic tribes fought over Italy and devestated most of the cities in a series of sieges and counter sieges. The population treally dropped and Rome lost all its desire to be part of the Roman empire. But that is history. - Gary Rumor <p></p><i></i>

Re: Greetings from Roman Tribune - richsc - 03-09-2003

Salve Gary! You have friends in the study of the later imperial times, and I have to admit I've not read Gibbon, which I take to mean not any abridged version either. Glad you're here. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: SCA - Anonymous - 03-09-2003

Salve Gary, glad to have you with us<br>
As always feel free to jump into any area that interests<br>
you!<br>
Veritas Omnia Vincit,<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>

Lawrence: "The laurel-crowned" - Anonymous - 03-16-2003

Hello.<br>
<br>
I'm a Roman History fan between the ages of 10 and 15. Though I'm an authority on the subject among my peers, I do recognize that there is more to learn, which is why I am here.<br>
<br>
BTW, if I've done my research correctly, the first part of my screenname is descended from a Latin word meaning "the laurel-crowned." Unless I'm mistaken, being crowned with laurel was some sort of military honor among the Romans.<br>
<br>
Anyway, I hope to enjoy you guys' company. I'll see you around. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 03-18-2003

Hello,<br>
<br>
1. I am from Baltimore, Maryland.<br>
<br>
2. I am of a professional military background. I'm also a bit of an amateur historian. I've always been interested in Rome, I was simply unaware of this forum.<br>
<br>
3. I am here to learn as much as possible about the military organisation of the Roman army.<br>
<br>
4. I'm not a re-enactor, and I am no longer a student; I am a military officer (U. S. Marine Corps, infantry). However, the study of military history is something that I pursue as a hobby.<br>
<br>
<br>
Very Respectfully,<br>
<br>
G. Brooks <p></p><i></i>

Historians in Baltimore - richsc - 03-18-2003

You came to the right place! As luck would have it, there is a reenactment group in your area (shameless plug) and we do events mainly in Maryland<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
<br>
and workshops once a month that are half work half book reviews and discussions, not to mention lunch. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Hi Gary Rumor, so you like Julian? - Goffredo - 03-19-2003

I am trying to find a copy of "Julian" by Gore Vidal an historical novel he wrote some time ago (sixties I believe). I read very good reviews about it; apparently Vidal did excellent homework.<br>
Unfortunately I have not yet been successful in finding it. Right now I am in the US in Chicago and have hit all the main bookstores but with no luck. I hope you find it instead. Good liuck to you<br>
<br>
jeff <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 03-19-2003

There appear to be many copies available used, according to Abebooks, anywhere from $3 and up. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 03-22-2003

Well, let´s get it over with.<br>
I´m a sixteen year old highschooler from Holland, and have stumbled on this exciting place doing a search for Conn Iggulden (The Gods of Google follow strange paths).<br>
<br>
I´ve always had a big interest in history, and, in fact, plan to study it, if I´ve got what it takes. This interest was sparked by military miniatures, especially Napoleonic ones, when I was about 9 (although my memory can´t give me certainty about this), and I have since then painted my fair share of historical and fantasy miniatures, and read a lot of historical books.<br>
My interest for Roman history suddenly developed when I first read Caesar, and this interest has now been cultivated through many hours of translating Latin texts in school (*sigh*).<br>
<br>
I am mostly ignorant on the exact facts of Roman history, so I think I´ll mostly be lurking here, and trying to learn from the wise ones available here. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Hi Gary Rumor, so you like Julian? - richsc - 03-22-2003

Salve Peculiaris! I too worked through Latin translations when I was 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, and still need to sit at the feet of the wise ones. But always feel free to ask a question or make a comment. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: Hi Gary Rumor, so you like Julian? - Praefectusclassis - 03-23-2003

Hoi Peculiaris,<br>
Somehow, this site attracts a relatively large number of vocal dutchies, isn't that wierd?<br>
Welcome to the board! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 03-23-2003

Thank you for the warm welcome.<br>
<br>
I think it is because a lot of Dutch have internet acces. As we are speaking, hundreds of thousands of Dutch are swarming over the internet, across various sites, and simple logic dictates that a couple of those must eventually end up here.<br>
<br>
Or it could be that our education system is so unbelievably great, that all students are extremely thrilled by the lessons about the ancient world, and want to explore that world in their free time. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Hi Gary Rumor, so you like Julian? - richsc - 03-23-2003

It must be the Dutch education system, but what does that say about the Belgians? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>