RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: Hi Gary Rumor, so you like Julian? - Praefectusclassis - 03-23-2003

Huh? Only that the Dutch and about half the Belgians speak the same language? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

RE: New Recruits - Anonymous - 03-25-2003

O.K., in at the deep end....I'm Steve,from the UK, a quite happy 17/18th cent re-enactor with a developing interest in two Roman periods...<br>
a) conquest of Britain<br>
b)350-450 AD<br>
...a quick look has shown me how research has moved on in the last few years..would like to get up to date. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 03-26-2003

Salve Steve and welcome to RAT. Many of the reenactors here do 1st century, and there is a growing number doing 3rd/4th centuries as well. What is hard to do is earlier periods. Plenty of threads and books on the Claudian invasion, to be sure. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 04-02-2003

Salve, fratres.<br>
<br>
I am a archeologist from Tarraco (Hispania Tarraconensis). I'm 30 years old. My hobbies are roman re-enactment, making of roman replicas, travels, modelling, etc.<br>
<br>
My militar career (re-enactment, not real ) is<br>
<br>
gregalis of the Legio IV MAC<br>
gregalis (TIRO) of LEGIO VII GEMINA.<br>
<br>
I have made one article about a roman officer called LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS, and because that i tried this name for the RAT.<br>
<br>
Please, don't make me a FUSTUARIUM by kill the english language.<br>
<br>
FORTUNA ET VENUS IUVANT AUDACES<br>
<br>
VALE, COMILITIONES<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-04-2003

Salve,<br>
<br>
welcom the the board.<br>
<br>
This officer LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS, was he a real person or fiction? Sounds interesting.<br>
<br>
don't worry about the language, there are lots of non-english speakers here (i'm from the Netherlands for example)<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen <p></p><i></i>

NEW RECRUITS - NightHunter24 - 04-05-2003

Ave fratres,<br>
<br>
I reside in Bklyn, N.Y. I became interested in the Roman period ever since the seventh grade when I saw a little book entitled 'Ancient Rome'. I still have this little book in my possesion which was given to me by the librarian when I left that school. I'm now thirty two and still follow Roman history whenever possible. I am not a re-enactor, nor a student, just an enthusiast. My main focus in the the Roman timeline is from the founding of the city to the reign of Justinian ( which I consider the last great Roman emperor.) I got here to this forum just by chance while searching for Roman military organization on-line. Well, I hope this will be the first of more posts to come.<br>
<br>
And, yeah I have a ficticious Latin name that I made for myself a long time ago: IVLIVS MAXIMVS CELER. What do you think of it?<br>
<br>
Vale <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Praefectusclassis - 04-05-2003

Hi NightHunter/Celer,<br>
Welcome to the board, make yourself at home.<br>
Nice focus you have there, just over a 1000 years<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 04-05-2003

MAXIMVS?<br>
<br>
You certainly have no self-esteem problems.<br>
<br>
-CA TARQ GEM LAT <p></p><i></i>

NEW RECRUITS - NightHunter24 - 04-05-2003

Definitely not, Casca.<br>
<br>
And a GRATIAS to you Jasper. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 04-07-2003

hello from Seattle <p></p><i></i>

Avete et salvete, Heavy! <p></p><i></i>

Hello all. Greetings from Massachusetts (Or should I say Taxachusetts? ;D)<br>
<br>
I don't know how or when I became interested in Roman stuff. I think I've always had a little interest from my Military history interests, but last 2 years it has really grown on me.<br>
<br>
I work (part time) at [link=http://www.higgins.org newwindow]Higgins Armory Museum[/link] in Worcester, and I'm working to put together a Roman kit to provide public demonstrations with another person at Higgins who is also big into Roman stuff.<br>
<br>
Hope to give and get interesting Roman Geek Tidbits!<br>
-ANDY<br>
<br>
PS I'm also a member of the [link=http://www.higginssword.org newwindow]Higgins Armory Sword Guild[/link]<br>
(Shameless plug) <p></p><i></i>

Welcome Andy good to have you with us. I hope you find this site beneficial in furthering interest.<br>
~Q <p></p><i></i>

Re: Armor and Things - Anonymous - 04-07-2003

Hello all. There was a very interesting thread that I read recently that was talking about Lor. Segmentata and how to put it on by yourself versus a buddy. The discussion lead to a very hot debate on the effectivness of armor itself. I can't find/remember where it was and I wanted to add my own "duo denarii"<br>
<br>
What I wanted to say was that one should keep in mind (as far as I know ) that the shield was to be used as the main means of defense, and that the Roman soldier was dependent on his training and group/unit tactics in battle. I believe that armor of the time was meant as a "last ditch" defense, and that the shield was meant to take the punishment; to be used both offensively and defensively. I esspecially think of the Republican shield and it's very large size and "beefyness" and how Testudo and other formations are used. During my Arms and Armor Demos at Higgins Armory, I'll say "It's like a huge marching wall with sharp pointy thingys (referring to the Gladius being drawn).<br>
<br>
From my perspective, I see that the 3 main types of [Roman] armors, Maille/Hamata, Scale/Squamata, Plate/Segmentata, are basically designed to defend against downwards, diagonal, and sideways slashing and cutting attacks, and neither do a particularly great job versus hard thrusts, smashing, and "uppercuts". Think of Greek/Hoplite armor, the Bronze cuirass and Linothorax...would you <em>really</em> want to take a direct thrust in either of those? I sure wouldn't! That's what the darn shields are for! So I'm thinking that body armor at the time is really meant as a secondary means of protection, behind the shield, for those unexpected hits and cuts and that it's up to the shield and unit/formation fighting that protects the soldiers.<br>
<br>
We don't see armor built for direct punishment until full plate armor comes along in the 15th and 16th centuries.<br>
<br>
So, that being said...For putting on one's armor, I think it's both. When you're in a hurry you can put it on yourself, but otherwise it's nice to have a buddy or some poor Probato on latrine duty help you out. (He'll have to learn how to do it himself too someday!) I'm sure my comment will change once I myself start waring Lor. Segmentata for a Roman Demo at Higgins soon. (it's the Newstead type!)<br>
<br>
::hiding behind scutum::<br>
-ANDY <p></p><i></i>

Re: Armor and Things - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-08-2003

Andy,<br>
<br>
i think that the reply above belongs in th Re-Enactment & Reconstruction -section (for easier finding etc.).<br>
<br>
just my two denarii. <p></p><i></i>