RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: Ahhh - Anonymous - 04-08-2003

Ok, thanks. But, not to take up space for such a question in this forum, but how would I go about moving the reply to where it should go?<br>
<br>
-Andy <p></p><i></i>

Re: Armor and Things - richsc - 04-08-2003

Unfortunately, the admin's can't move a post, just an entire thread. You can cut/paste it into the proper forum. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Robert Vermaat - 04-09-2003

Hi Lucius,<br>
Welcome to the board. It seems more and more miles from Hispania are joining us. By the way, do you know Aitor Iriarte from the Late Roman <em>Cohors Prima Gallica</em>? They are from your area, I think?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert Vermaat<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]FECTIO[/url] <p></p><i></i>

LUCIUS ALFENUS - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 04-10-2003

<br>
SALVE,<br>
<br>
LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS was a real soldier of Tarraconensis. He was a primus pilus, and then tribunus of vigiles. You can see his carer in one of my posts at the RAT in the section of archeology.<br>
<br>
I have know Aitor Iriarte here in the RAT. I hope to know him personally at the legio VII event "Tarraco Viva".<br>
<br>
I'm so impressed by Roman Army Talk. I'm think is a very good place to get all kind of information, and, of course, make friends and "comilitones".<br>
<br>
VALE<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: LUCIUS ALFENUS - aitor iriarte - 04-10-2003

Salve Lucius,<br>
Perhaps we'll meet earlier this year at Zaragoza (not yet fully confirmed)<br>
Anyway, last year I was walking (one man's army!) through the Camp of Mars dressed as a late Roman soldier. In the last Pompa I defiled alonside Iván Perells, who was dressed as a Greek hoplite (the most ancient and the most recent soldiers in the Pompa marching together!)<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>

Salvete - Anonymous - 04-11-2003

Hi all -- I'm currently a grad student in classics in North Caroline (but moving up to DC soon). I'm officially a student of Latin poetry, but I've always had an interest in military history. I've mostly written on Greek stuff so far. I'm currently (as in taking a break from it right now) writing a master's paper on horses as an element in aristocratic life of post-Bronze Age Greece, which centers mainly on the usefulness (or lack thereof?) of horses as weapons in the wars of the time.<br>
Anyway, anything interesting roman-military-wise to do up in the DC area? <p></p><i></i>

Re: Salvete - Anonymous - 04-11-2003

AVE ET SALVE, GVCATVLLVS!<br>
<br>
If you're interested in re-enacting at all, there's a group in Maryland, and RichSC just happens to be a prominent member. <p></p><i></i>

Legions in DC - richsc - 04-12-2003

Salve Gucatullus! Glad you found your way to RAT. Yes, there is a Roman military presence in DC, one of the best and oldest, Legio XX run by Matt Amt. www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
<br>
We have events in April and May leading up to our Roman Days event June 7-8. We also have fabrica monthly. You're more than welcome to attend.<br>
<br>
The link below has some photos of us at the Univ of Penn at their opening of the Greek/Etruscan/Roman wing.<br>
www.geocities.com/richsc5...UPenn.html<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 4/12/03 4:01:59 am<br></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Matt Lukes - 04-14-2003

Avete!<br>
<br>
Let's see- I've been interested in the Legions of Rome for about two years now, ever since I discovered a photograph of a recreation of a Corbridge B Lorica segmentata in a book on armor (a subject I've found fascinating forever), and decided to see if I could make one myself. I quickly discovered the Legio XX website and was hooked. I've now made 3 segmentatae in total (learning new things each time), as well as a full set of arms and equipment. I did buy the Gladius, helmet and Pugio, but I made all the rest myself and it was SO much fun At present I'm not a reenactor myself as there is no group in Vancouver that I'm aware of- so I'm a Legion of one it seems.<br>
<br>
Salvete<br>
<br>
Matt <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 04-14-2003

Salve Matt! Welcome to RAT! I see you've already gotten Matt Amt's attention, so you're at home. I'm in Matt Amt's (we have three Matt: two Matt L's, one Matt A. ) group, and he can spot a bad hinge at 100 yards.<br>
Do you have any photos of your existing segmentata? Sort of a 'experiences learned' type of thing? What did you do with all of them? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Matt Lukes - 04-14-2003

Salve Rich,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the welcome!<br>
<br>
Yes, Matt's reply was quite useful and was just what I was hoping to learn. Indeed I am a 'learn as I go' kind of builder- the photographs of recreations, and all the information on the Legio XX website gave me an excellent starting point for building the segmentata, but I did encounter issues related to my own materials, capabilities, etc. during the construction that have made each subsequent project better than the last. In fact I learned things making my present and third cuirass that would make a fourth the best yet- assuming I ever get the urge to do it all AGAIN (which isn't all that unlikely ). An easier method of edge-rolling, proper oil-blackening of the interior and better mirror-polishing of the exterior, are three of the things I've learned to do by research and experimentation since the completion of my last segmentata.<br>
<br>
I actually sold my first two to a fellow in Texas- for a nominal price since the 4'x10' sheet of steel I bought initially provided me with enough material for 3 segmentatae and because I did have the desire to build "another, better one" after each attempt, but couldn't justify it as easily with the earlier one still around.<br>
<br>
I do have some photos of all three actually, but haven't scanned them- I'll do so and post them.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
Matt<br>
<p></p><i></i>

equites stablasiana - Anonymous - 04-21-2003

Hello,<br>
<br>
I'm an ancient historian and archaeologist living in The Netherlands and very interested in the Roman Army. I'm also a reenactor and like to make Roman and early medieval weaponry.<br>
I'm currently trying to find out more about the equites stablesiana VI, a late roman cavalry unit. In 1910 in the Netherlands a silver gilded helmet stamped Equites Stablesiana VI was found. I'm looking for any recent information about this and other equites stab. units. I'm aware of the article by M.P. Speidel about the Stablesiana in Chiron 4 (1974), but I haven't found any new information yet. Can anybody help. My most urgent questions are:<br>
- where do the equites stab. come from<br>
-what was their function (other then the equites comitus etc)<br>
-what could a soldier of one of these units be doing in the Netherlands, as this part of the Roman empire was just peacefull again.<br>
<br>
Marcus<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 04-22-2003

Salve Marcus! we welcome another of those awesome Dutch scholars to RAT.<br>
<br>
ps. note that Sander has copied your interest and answered it:<br>
pub45.ezboard.com/fromana...=570.topic <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 4/23/03 12:24:32 pm<br></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Praefectusclassis - 04-22-2003

Hoi Marcus,<br>
Welkom bij RAT! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: equites stablasiana - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-22-2003

welcom to the board!<br>
<br>
hoera, nog meer Nederlanders!<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen<br>
<br>