RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Glad you\'re with us - Anonymous - 05-06-2003

Welcome libitinaantonius,<br>
Sounds like you have your hands full! Thanks for finding time to enjoy and contribute to RAT I hope your stay here is enjoyable<br>
~ Q <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 05-08-2003

Greetings everyone! This is my first post at R.A.T., the first of many, I hope.<br>
<br>
I´m 17 years old and Portuguese. I´ve been a medieval reenactor for some time now but I´ve become really interested in Roman History and reenactment. It´s a shame that we don´t have a Roman reenactment unit here in Portugal. Well, at least not yet!<br>
I would like to portray a roman auxiliary in this western frontier of the Empire. And help to found a roman unit, who knows!<br>
<br>
Expect to have regular posts from me and forgive any idiot question. <p></p><i></i>

New Recruit to RAT - richsc - 05-09-2003

Salve Lupus! Perhaps you are the first Roman reenactor in Portugal and starting a trend. Welcome to RAT and glad to have you here. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Introduction - richsc - 05-09-2003

Salve Libitina! If you write any more webpages Jenny will be recruiting you for RomanArmy.Com!<br>
I too am in computers, but find the study of Rome a lot more interesting.<br>
I had the impression that there were Romans in Oregon; would anyone know?<br>
Welcome again.<br>
<br>
(I edited your post only to make the link work) <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Introductions - Anonymous - 05-13-2003

Dear anyone who cares,<br>
<br>
I am writing from canada, eh, and I live in the capital eh, and yes...I do play hockey (sigh...stereotypes) and lacrosse which by the way is our national sport. I became interested in Rome at the tender age of six when I read about ancient civilizations and I learned about Romans which I thought was the coolest, carthiginian ass-kicking civilization in the world. And with my violent...*cough* ...agressive...self I became interested in the Roman army. I am NOT a re-enactor but I am a student. I am looking for a SIMPLE way to make a gladius pilum and scutum with SIMPLE (emphasis on simple) tools and materials (non-expensive if possible).<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance...(If anyone responds)<br>
<br>
Regards, My Isometric Ass <p></p><i></i>

Re: New Recruit to RAT - richsc - 05-13-2003

Salve Bear!<br>
<br>
For hints on making your own gear, start with the Legio XX web site:<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
<br>
Making a gladius is something most of us don't do, just the smithies out there. Likewise the pilum shafts, though you can make a 'cheapie chucker' with a rod with one end flattened.<br>
Almost anything else can be done. Try asking over in the Reconstruction section. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 05-15-2003

OK, here it goes<br>
<br>
I’m from New York, and I am currently working for a firm that builds Civil projects.<br>
<br>
Most of the time I’m tied to the computer, but sometimes I am shipped out to the field.<br>
<br>
“Thank God!â€Â

Re: Introductions - richsc - 05-16-2003

Salve Philippians!<br>
Yes, active and vociferous. There is a gladiatorial group near you, but I think the nearest Roman legions are Legio XX in DC, and Legio XXIV in Penn. <p></p><i></i>

D Millis, Curator - richsc - 05-26-2003

<em>D Millis asked that I post his introduction to RAT. He is curator of a museum of USMC history and teaches as well:</em><br>
<br>
I teach USMC and Roman MIlitary History frequently at<br>
the Jr. Col here in town for the Western Civilization,<br>
American History, and American Gvt instructors.<br>
<br>
The first display in the museum discusses the rise of<br>
marines as a class of trooper and we take it back to the<br>
Greek/Persian wars, up through Rome, then into the<br>
"Modern"era starting in the mid 1500's w/ the<br>
re-establishment of standing corps of sea soldiers.<br>
<br>
I served 22 years in the Corps, my father 20. We come<br>
from a family which has over 142 combined years of<br>
service in the Dept of the Navy only, no soldiers or<br>
airmen.<br>
<br>
This service is also amazingly, unbroken since just after<br>
WWI and continues today with my brother a Chief in the<br>
Navy and currently in Iraq, and his son also in the Navy<br>
just returning from the Gulf two weeks ago. (I have great<br>
hopes for my grandson to become a Marine...we'll see<br>
LOL!)<br>
<br>
Roman Military History had been a strong interest of<br>
mine since Jr High school, and USMC history since I<br>
can remember.<br>
<br>
We maintain a web site at www.mclm.com and I may be<br>
contacted at:<br>
MCLM, P.O. Box 2654, Harrison, AR 72602<br>
(870) 743-1680 Tues-Sat Central<br>
<br>
Hope that this answers the question, if there is anything<br>
I can do for you, let me know.<br>
<br>
Semper Fidelis!<br>
D.A. "Red" Millis II<br>
GySgt USMC (ret)<br>
Curator, MCLM Project<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc>Richsc</A> at: 5/26/03 3:23:43 am<br></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 05-26-2003

Salve everyone ... My second post here (posted the topic about the dacian military&tactics, please fell free to post your opinions about the subject). I'm from Romania, quite young I'd say: 17 years old Still, my interest in history is more of a passion, since childhood. My knowledge resides on reading the ancients and of course contemporany works (romanian authors mainly). I have a vast orizont, but can't say to have ever studied a particular period. By and large, I am familiar with any historical subject, and can say that being objective is my main quality ... My interest grows deeper when talking philosophy and politics, as I am preparing for a career in the area<br>
<br>
Also, I'd like to congratulate you for your activity here! Keep up the good work! <p></p><i></i>

Re: Introductions - Anonymous - 05-29-2003

Welcome pr! I'm glad you found Roman Army Talk.<br>
May it develop your interests and passion for history.<br>
Good luck in your pursuits!<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>

New Roman Recruit - Anonymous - 05-30-2003

Salve all:<br>
<br>
My name is Jason Patterson, I am from Georgia, United States. I have been interested in ancient Rome since I was a little boy. Currently I am developing a "role playing society" based in ancient Rome, called Imperial Rome.<br>
<br>
The reason why I am here is because a personal friend Peter Vanderzwet, introduced me to Roman Army Talk. I find that this site is one of the best discussions about the ancient Roman army. I would like to thank the founders for it's creation.<br>
<br>
As to being in a re-creation society, I am hopefully going to be joining the Legion I Itali in Atlanta, Georgia.<br>
<br>
Also might be interesting to mention I am writing a fiction book on a civil war in the Roman state.<br>
<br>
Jason Patterson <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 05-30-2003

thank you for your warm welcome, Quintus! <p></p><i></i>

The Founder sez... - JRSCline - 05-31-2003

Hey, you are very welcome, my friend. Welcome aboard! Glad you are enjoying yourself.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>

NEW MEMBER - Anonymous - 05-31-2003

SALVE<br>
<br>
As a brand new member let me first introduce myself.<br>
<br>
My name is Jean-Luc and I am currently the Signifer of the LEG VIII AVG in France. I was introduced to this talk by Dan Peterson that I last saw 2 weeks ago in Ostia.<br>
<br>
I am 40 years old, currently running my computer shop in Marseilles. I grew up in Nîmes (NEMAUSUS) a city that is also nicknamed the French Rome because it has so many Romans monuments. So as a child, I always felt the influence of Roman culture around me, always wondering all those magnificent monuments might have looked at the time of their splendor. None to speak of the roman amphitheater were you could hear all those cheering and noise when they had bullfight, and of course as a kid I was strictly forbidden to enter.<br>
<br>
I moved away from that city as a teenager, but always kept that Roman influence and interest. As an adult I have travelled the world quite a bit in my early career, and finally went back to Provence partly because I was missing these old stones too much.<br>
<br>
Then one day I made a new friend in the mountains above aquae sextiae, we started to talk roman history and I discovered that he had just finished writing a book on Caius Marius and his struggle against the Teuton, with location maps of the famous battle. We even went as a small group to clean up a bit of what his left of the monument that Marius has erected there and that was being invaded by roots and plants. we have since then formed a small group trying to find funds to restore the monument.<br>
<br>
In order to show the people what was their past we had organized an exposition on the roman army at a local museum. It was originally to last for one week-end, but due to the success, the mayor asked us to keep it for another 2 weeks.<br>
<br>
That was then that we were contacted by the Optio of the LEG VIII to see if we would be interested in experimental archeology. We were pretty reluctant first, and it took me almost 6 months to give it a try.<br>
<br>
That is how I got the virus. We are about 20 in our group, but being spread all over France we are seldom more than 10 at the same time. I have to admit that we had a lot of pioneering to do as it was pretty difficult to get the equipment, so some of us spent a lot of spare time building stuffs that we would never have thought that we were capable of making.<br>
<br>
We have done quite a lot of appearances with the guys from LEG V, also they do Augustean period and we are Flavians. We have also done other appearances with other Europeans Groups. This are the best because everybody share his techniques and experiences.We also do fight with a couple of Celtic Groups from the North of France once or twice a year, and also you always end up with a lot of browses, we love it.<br>
<br>
I hope that I can continue to achieve what I am really interested in, that is get enough peoples interested in the early romans and republican era to form a group within our group.<br>
<br>
That's it, I hope that this will help you to know me and our group a little bit better.<br>
<br>
I look forward to chat with you all on a lot of great topics<br>
<br>
Jean-Luc FERAUD <p></p><i></i>