RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

New Recruit (...or a wannabe, at least). - Anonymous - 06-17-2003

Ave, all!<br>
<br>
Ah, Roman-minded types! At last I've found you.<br>
<br>
I'm a secondary school history teacher in Ontario, and have been in love with Rome since I was a kid. I used to read Conan comics and would sigh wistfully that our own world history "didn't have" anything like Aquilonia in its past (silly me!) -- then one day I stumbled across a Roman history book and realized that we did! I've been addicted ever since.<br>
<br>
Question to anyone from my area: I'm interested in getting into some re-enacting but don't know of any Legions in my area. Can anyone help? (Ontario or New York?)<br>
<br>
Well, that's it for now. Thanks for reading.<br>
<br>
C. Minucius Afer <p></p><i></i>

Re: New Recruit From Legio XXX - Anonymous - 06-17-2003

Salve Caius! Welcome to RAT!!!<br>
<br>
Well, it just so happens that my legion, XXX "Ulpia Victrix" is based in the Niagara Falls/Hamilton Area of Southwestern Ontario. Where are you from?<br>
<br>
Here's the URL for my website:<br>
<br>
[url=http://www.geocities.com/legio_xxx/" target="top]Legio XXX Homepage[/url]<br>
<br>
Drop me an email and we'll chat!<br>
<br>
Look forward to it. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Nothing happens to any man, which he is not formed by nature to bear."<br>
<br>
- Marcus Aurelius<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>

Re: Mosaics - Anonymous - 06-18-2003

Sure thing Flavivs And believe you me, I really meant them!<br>
Some of those ancient mosaics are truely amazing aren't they? It's incredible how some of the colors have survived and remained vibrant through all those years!<br>
When you finish your masterpiece on your entryway floor be sure to send me a picture!<br>
<br>
~ Q<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-21-2003

A Cananefat adopted by the Cholcester Roman Society.<br>
<br>
Don't have as much time to go with them as I want to, working in shifts.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Meer Nederlanders! - Guest - 06-24-2003

Salve,<br>
<br>
Another Dutchman. Welcome to the forum.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-28-2003

I'm from St John's Newfoundland<br>
<br>
I have always had an interest in Military History and find the Roman Legions facinating<br>
<br>
I'm here because I'd like to learn more about the Legions<br>
<br>
I am 45 and other then being a student of life, its been a long long time since I was in school<br>
<br>
I am a Professional Firefighter<br>
<br>
<br>
<p><span style="color:red;font-family:century gothic;font-size:large;">Ain't No Rocket Scientists In The Firehall</span></p><i></i>

New Recruits - rekirts - 06-28-2003

Yay!!! Another one to swell the Canadians' ranks. Welcome from Wendy (me) in Saskatchewan! <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-29-2003

Thank You........WOW......What a Forum. Very informative. I have a very intense interest in all things Rome. I have very graphic memories of what I believe is a past life as a Roman soldier. Yes Karma is real....paybacks are Hell! <br>
<br>
Please tell me of your experience.....totally confidential of course.<br>
<br>
[email protected] <br>
<br>
Yours Truely Irvin <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-30-2003

Hey Irwin, welcome to RAT.<br>
<br>
I know what you mean about past lives. I was a dressmaker from 1812 in a former life. I made necklaces out of people's toes, and dresses out of their toe jam. It could've been worse I suppose. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Nothing happens to any man, which he is not formed by nature to bear."<br>
<br>
- Marcus Aurelius<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 06-30-2003

Thank You for that welcome........from New Zealand you said! hehehe <p></p><i></i>

Romans in Oregon - Anonymous - 06-30-2003

Salve,<br>
I am the only Roman in Roseburg I believe!<br>
<br>
There are an organized few in Portland...Legio II Augusta is in Portland (legioii.org/), very helpful in supplying me with aid in making my gear.<br>
<br>
Should you get the urge to get into reenacting, drop me a line, I can use all the help I can get! <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 07-03-2003

Hi, I'm from Ohio, 15 years old. I'm interested in many periods of history, most recently Rome. Having an interest in the early history of the Catholic Church I spent 2 days watching Roman Empire programs on the History Channel and now I am hooked. I probably won't post much, just here to learn more about Rome. I have taken the name of my favorite Emperor, Constantine. <p>† In Hoc Signo Vinces †</p><i></i>

Another beginner - Anonymous - 07-03-2003

I am English, have re-enacted since 1983 first WWII German, Then WW1 German and latterly American Civil War Union 4th US Regulars both in England and on holidays in the USA.<br>
<br>
However I have been rather remiss in my re-enacting recently, instead I have collected, Roman mainly, coins, brooches, rings, arrow & spearheads etc anything interesting Roman that came along - and at least in the UK we can be thankful that 400 odd years of occupation left plenty of treasures for us to find.<br>
<br>
I am just now starting to seriously think about re-enacting Roman, at 47 summers Im no spring chicken and so whilst prepared to don the armour for non strenuous duties I think I would prefer to do a civilian Impression - perhaps a politician - someone everyone can hate!<br>
<br>
I always reply to e mails and am looking for advice on where to get good kit - I see a lot on E bay but much of it looks wrong?<br>
<br>
GustavianIII <p></p><i></i>

Re: Romans in Oregon - Jeroen Pelgrom - 07-03-2003

Salve,<br>
<br>
welcome to the both of you. Feel free to look around and don't be shy to ask questions. To learn is what we are here.<br>
<br>
GustavianIII, look in our Re-Enactment & Reconstruction section for info about re-enactment.<br>
<br>
Vale, jeroen <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 07-04-2003

Salvete,<br>
<br>
Many of us are 40's and 50's, so don't feel odd man out. If you're looking for advice on kit you've come to the right place.<br>
<br>
For guidance: www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
for you make it kits: www.rlqm.com<br>
for ready to wear: www.albionarmorers.com<br>
<br>
which is only a short list of resources, not to mention asking questions here. Plenty of correct suppliers out there so you can avoid ebay.<br>
<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>