RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: HI - Anonymous - 09-18-2003

Welcome to all of our new members!<br>
<br>
<br>
~ Clearchus,<br>
If you're looking for a Roman Army icon, Jenny has created some that are up for grabs at this link.<br>
[url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessageRange?topicID=42.topic&start=1&stop=20" target="top]pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessageRange?topicID=42.topic&start=1&stop=20[/url]<br>
<br>
~Jim<br>
Check out this thread. Perhaps you would be interested in being an Admin. for this site.<br>
[url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=149.topic" target="top]pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=149.topic[/url]<br>
<br>
~Q<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 09-18-2003

Salve,<br>
After quite some time of just lurking around, I finally decided to sign up. Great community we people have here!<br>
I'm 36 years old, a technician in paper industry, and sadly, the only Roman Army Reenactor that I know of in my country, Finland.<br>
For most of my life I've been interested in things medieval, but as I've grown older I've noticed my interest drift toward more ancient times until, finally, I've arrived at my final destination and true love, The Roman era.<br>
My long term goal is to start a reenactment group here in Finland. There seems to be surprisingly little interest in the Romans here in Finland, perhaps because our history has very little ties to that culture. No Roman ruins here, damnit! Plenty of viking and medieval groups, but no Romans. I intend to change that!<br>
So, if any Finns read this, don't hesitate to contact me!<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - richsc - 09-18-2003

Salve Valdemar! let us know how we can help. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Finland - John Maddox Roberts - 09-18-2003

Valdemar:<br>
Welcome to RAT. Your countryman, Mika Waltari, wrote among many other fine historical novels, one titled in English "The Roman." I'm a professional novelist myself, and for background music while writing my favorite is another of your fellow Finns, Sibelius. Just because there was never a Roman presence in your homeland doesn't mean Finns can't be Roman enthusiasts. They never got to America, either. <p></p><i></i>

New Recruit - Anonymous - 09-29-2003

Salve,<br>
I'm a postgrad student in Roman Military History and I have been interested in the Roman Army for as long as I can remember. I have just started my Masters here in the UK and am amazed at the wealth of bibliographic sources availbale on this website! I will definitely be back here a fair bit...especially when I run into any research dilemmas. Valete. <p></p><i></i>

Hello Brothers - Anonymous - 10-02-2003

Well I have noticed about every thing here. I have loved Roman History for as long as I can remember and I always wanted to fight as they did. I am a Junior in High School, and am Looking for a Leg or Coh that is near me. I am in Tennessee. MY only problem is that I have none of the Kit to start. I am an SCA member, so naturaly I would have to make some of my own gear. IF any of you can tell me were I can find these things it wouldbe most helpful. Also I need a name. I have talked to my latin teacher and he said that "Marcus Gauis" are first names. The only name I would need is a Family name. if you can help me on that I would be thank full.<br>
<br>
ROMA VICTOR!!<br>
<br>
Marcus/Gauis Letviticus<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Roman names - Anonymous - 10-02-2003

Salve!<br>
<br>
Welcome and Bona Fortuna:<br>
<br>
The Legio XX and Nova Roma websites have extensive lists of Roman names, but the actual choosing can be tricky. If you have a good public library or university library near you, articles on naming customs in "Daily Life in Ancient Rome Handbook" by Acker and Acker and the "Oxford Classical Dictionary" have some entries on the traditons. Marcus and Gaius are both "praenomen" which are forenames. The next is the "gens" or family name of which there are many choices; it depends on how historically accurate you wish to be. The final one is a "cognomen" or nickname which may be indiviual or may be inherited from an ancestor. I'm sure your Latin teacher can help you with all of that, including the spelling.<br>
<br>
I might suggest that a series of novels (The First Man In Rome series by Colleen McCollough which is available in paperback at most large bookstores has a whole appendix just on Roman names--some of which are very cool!) could give some background and good ideas. There are a number of groups listed via links available through some of the threads on these fora, but I checked for you and I can't find any in Tennesse, but there are some in North and South Carolinas, Kentucky and Georgia.<br>
<br>
By the way, I am not an official moderator; one of them may be able to give you more advice, but you might check the links from Matthew Amt's or Rusty Meyers's entries for other groups you might contact. You might also tell your Latin teacher about my website; if that's not too shameless a plug on my part. I expect you will receive an official greeting from another moderator very soon. But welcome from me anyway! And don't be afraid to ask questions; that's what we're all here for.<br>
<br>
Roma Victa!<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=togaman>Togaman</A> at: 10/2/03 11:49 pm<br></i>

Lucius - Anonymous - 10-03-2003

AVATE!<br>
<br>
Thanks for all your help. I will ask Mr,.Warren tomorrow when I see himand I will give him your website. I am right now trying to contact a Centurio in Ky. I think that it is Legio XX or something like that.<br>
<br>
Thanks Lucius<br>
<br>
Meus caparum Romanus-Ad Victoria!<br>
<br>
Gauis Letviticus<br>
Samuel<br>
<br>
[email protected] is my e-mail <p></p><i></i>

Re: Hello Brothers - richsc - 10-03-2003

Salve Marcus, yes, check out our Legio XX site<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
<br>
I had heard of a group around you, or at least a person, but I don't think they're active. If you were near by (we're in Washington DC) we would have spare kit to get you started, so give you time to get you started.<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Andrew Brozyna - 10-03-2003

Hello all. I've been reading through this forum for a while and just now decided to join up. I became interested in Rome about 5 or 6 years ago after seeing some documentaries on the Discovery Channel. I was getting interested in collecting toy soldiers around the same time, so the two hobbies got mixed up. I never studied the subject in a class, but as an art student I became very interested in the construction and decoration of Roman military equipment. Currently, my interested has shifted to the more specific subject of shields.<br>
I wanted to teach myself html, so as practice, I created a website that reflects the more interesting roman stuff I learned: www.redrampant.com Hopefully other people will gain an interest in this fasinating subject as a result. So! I look foreword to talking with you guys!<br>
<br>
-Andy <p></p><i></i>

NO WAY!! - Anonymous - 10-03-2003

SLAVE ANDY!!<br>
<br>
I am impressed by your owrk Andy, I do look at the web site alot. Thank you for your offer, about joining Legio XX. I am only in VA for Holidays and Summer break. But I can see what I can do.<br>
<br>
ROMA VICTOR!!<br>
<br>
"Rome didn't have an army. Rome was an army!" Leg VI<br>
<br>
Gauis<br>
<br>
p.s. I found a new name. It is:<br>
Gauis Quinctilius Honoratus <p></p><i></i>

Re: NO WAY!! or Ita ve - Anonymous - 10-03-2003

Samuel,<br>
<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Before you post; proofread, unless you have a Latin spelchek. You might offend someone without meaning to. Have you checked your EZboard Control Center emailbox? (Spelling of Gaius ?) I would not have posted this here, but if you look at your last post, you might have insulted Andy. Were you really calling him your slave? Or were you trying to spell "Salve?"<br>
<br>
LCL <p></p><i></i>

My Bad - Anonymous - 10-03-2003

Andy no offence to you but I did mean Salve..not slave! MY mistake. Togaman I did check it and it is spelled "Gauis" I did misspell it. I havve been quite busy lately so sorry for any misunderstanding.<br>
<br>
"Gaius"...LOL<br>
<br>
sorry again <p></p><i></i>

Re: My Bad P.S. - Anonymous - 10-03-2003

Last time Gaius!<br>
Then we can do personal chat off the board; you can edit your posts afterward (we all do it a lot) if you're logged on as a member with your member name. You can edit your member name via your control center as well. Good new name! Edit your Logon. And welcome! Roma Victa! (I'll bet Mr. Warren will remind you that you must always agree in Gender, Number, and Case.) But next time, get in a thread and talk some BELLUM!!!!<br>
<br>
LCL<br>
<br>
BTW thanks for the website visit and guestbook entry. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=togaman>Togaman</A> at: 10/3/03 11:44 pm<br></i>

Re: NO WAY!! - Andrew Brozyna - 10-04-2003

Whoops! I'm sorry, Gauis, when I said "join up" I was referring to this ezboard message group, not to Legion XX. I should have been more clear, especially since the previous posts were talking about your reenactment group! Though, I must say I have been considering it lately. My concern with enlistment has been time and money - both of which are in short supply currently. So! For now at least, I think I will content myself with reading and talking about the subject. Once again, I appologize for the confusion!<br>
<br>
-Andy <p></p><i></i>