RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: New guy - JRSCline - 05-21-2004

Welcome, Cinna! What are you studying? Something Roman, I hope. <br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jrscline>JRSCline</A> at: 5/22/04 8:29 am<br></i>

subjects - Anonymous - 05-21-2004

I'm studying English as my main subject. Been messing around with 2nd subjects a bit: Russian, Political Science and Ancient History (idoes that one count as "something Roman"? ).<br>
<br>
At the moment I'm focussing on History. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Quintius Clavus - 05-23-2004

Aaron,<br>
You were looking for someone in central Pennsylvania who might be willing to speak at your school. I suggest you take a look at www.LegionXXIV.org which is based in the greater Philadelphia area, and is the work of George Metz. You can contact him through the website. He is retired, and has a lot of gear to show your students! He lives just west of Philadelphia, and loves talking about the Roman Army to school children. He's been known to travel considerable distances.<br>
I am also a member of the same legion, but live in Connecticut, in New England. I just spent the day at the Higgins Armory Museum in Roman Legionary armor talking to the public and then helping Andy Volpe with his regular Roman Legionary program.<br>
Welcome to Roman Army Talk and hopefully George can help you out.<br>
<br>
Marcus Quintius Clavus <p></p><i></i>

Re: New guy - Anonymous - 05-23-2004

Thanks, Marcus; I'll definitely have to check that out. (Since we're down to our last week of school, I'm thinking in terms of next year at this point, but given how far a reinactor would have to travel, I'm sure planning well ahead would be a good idea.)<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>

Re: subjects - L C Cinna - 05-24-2004

Had to change my nick in order to create a global account. So from now on I shall be known as L C Cinna instead of Lucius Cornelius Cinna. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - JRSCline - 05-25-2004

That'll actually be easier to recall. It's so difficult to remember the many Roman aliases used here!<br>
<br>
<br>
Jenny <p>--------------------<BR><BR>"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they are realities, and are often even more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are."<BR> - Niccoló Machiavelli, <i>The Discourses</i>, 1517. </p><i></i>

New Name - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus - 05-25-2004

In order to get a global account and to create pompey's official name , I had to delete pompeius magnus to create gnaeus pompeius magnus, same guy just a different name. <p></p><i></i>

New Guy on the Block (though not new to the Army) - Anonymous - 06-10-2004

Name's James. I've been in the US Army since 1993, and was recently transferred from Armor to Infantry (hence the name). Getting ready to head to Iraq soon.<br>
<br>
I've been interested in Roman history my whole life. I've been so absorbed with it that my wife (who's a lover of Egyptian history) thinks that I may have been an NCO or Centurion in the Roman Army in a past life, if you believe in that sort of thing.<br>
<br>
I'm mainly looking for insight on the Roman Army, as well as info on books to read, mainly historical novels. I also like hearing other people's takes on movies that butcher Roman military history. Like you, just ONCE I'd like to see them get it right! That's all for now. <p></p><i></i>

Re: New Guy on the Block (though not new to the Army) - richsc - 06-10-2004

Salve James, glad to have you here and feel free to join in the discussions. Are you located near any of the groups? We in Legio XX have monthly get togethers, um, workshops, where we make things but mainly share our enthusiasm. Might be worth looking a group up in your area. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Hi, I\'m Paul - Paullus - 06-23-2004

Hi my name is Paul and I am a universtiy student. In my spare time I practice karate, read books on ancient combat, watch movies, and spend time in the great out-doors. Romans have always fascinated me and that interest has lead me to somehow becoming head "historian" on Wildfire Game's Project 0 AD (wildfiregames.com/0ad/portal.php ), a freeware real time strategy game. In my lurking days I found RAT to be a great place to find useful information on many things historical and hope to get even more out of it by posting <br>
<br>
EDIT: there we go, the link should work now <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=paullus@romanarmytalk>Paullus</A> at: 6/23/04 6:45 pm<br></i>

Re: New Guy on the Block (though not new to the Army) - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 06-23-2004

<br>
<br>
Salue Paul,<br>
<br>
welcome aboard!<br>
Your Wildfire Game's Project page seems not working...<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>

NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 07-04-2004

Hello My name is Billy and im a Legate in the the newly formed "Florida's10th" Legion were only a legion of 2 right now in tampa florida. But i hope it will grow stronger. Im 18 and have been a Roman military fanatic for about 5 years now. Im hoping to study roman history in college. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Hi, I\'m Paul - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus - 07-04-2004

Welcome, its nice to see some younger people getting involved in this site, even though I am not much older at 21. I, like most others here, are either currently studying, or have studyed it and have a vast amount of knowlege on just about every area of the civilization of Rome. I have recieved a vast amount of knowledge from more knowledgable people on this subject when I have made a mistake, or by just asking a question. <p>THERE ARE NO STUPID PEOPLE, ONLY PEOPLE STUPID ENOUGH TO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY'VE MADE A MISTAKE</p><i></i>

Re: New Guy on the Block (though not new to the Army) - Anonymous - 07-08-2004

Hi:<br>
I am from British Columbia (Canada).<br>
Currently I teach Science at a local Science Centre.<br>
I have degrees in Classics, mainly Latin and Greek, with a strong interest in History.<br>
I build Trebuchets for local pumpkin tossing contests.<br>
Currently I am working on an accurate (I hope) reconstruction of Vitruvius' scorpio.<br>
<br>
Kevin <p></p><i></i>

Re: New Guy on the Block (though not new to the Army) - aitor iriarte - 07-08-2004

Another fellow artilleryman, G-R-E-A-T!<br>
I felt really lonely since Ildar Kayumov stopped posting here<br>
Vitruvius is hopelessly corrupt as a source, be careful with it!<br>
If you want to discuss something, you could open a new thread on History/Archeology or Reenactment/Reconstruction...<br>
<br>
Welcome!<br>
<br>
Aitor<br>
<p></p><i></i>