RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: Hi - Anonymous - 01-06-2005

Ave,<br>
<br>
I am a student at the Department of Classical Archaeology and Ancient History at Stockholm University, Sweden, and have since I was a kid, had a predilection for ancient military history. I besides studying various aspects concerning arms, armor and warfare, like analyzing Greek and Roman Art. In May 2004, me, my group of students and two of our lecturers / archaeologists went to Copenhagen, Denmark, and the extensive collections of ancient art, beholding and analyzing sculpture and pottery from Greece, Egypt and Rome. The NY Carlsberg Glyptotek housed portraits off some of my favorite Roman characters, of which Julia Domna is one, hence the choice of my nickname. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=juliadomna@romanarmytalk>Julia Domna</A> at: 1/7/05 6:33 pm<br></i>

Re: Hi - richsc - 01-07-2005

Salvete! I do think there are folks in north Texas, certainly in Oklahoma, who can talk to you about reenacting there.<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 01-08-2005

Hi.<br>
I first became interested in the Romans when I was at secondary school, trying to learn Latin.<br>
That's when I discovered I don't have a gift for tongues.<br>
I did however, enjoy the parts about the Roman Army.<br>
Many years later, I discovered the books of Simon Scarrow, and this rekindled my quest to learn.<br>
I also managed to read Colleen McCullough's books as well.<br>
I have since then worked with a colleague who has a degree in History, and particularly enjoys the Roman Army, and we have many chats about this subject.<br>
I'm 46 and live in Glasgow, and work as a civil servant. <p></p><i></i>

Why? - Tarbicus - 01-17-2005

Hi, I've only just started posting after occasionally following the board for a year or two. I started on a screenplay around 15 years ago, but had too much work to do all the time. So, all that time I managed to spend in libraries was going to waste. However, after going into business for myself I've made a concerted effort to get it on paper during quieter periods. As it's based around legionaries I decided to buy a Gallic H helmet for reserch (how does it feel to wear one? answer = pretty cool, especially when you slap yourself about the head!), which then also became a Gallic G, an Italic D, a Ribchester, a Corbridge A lorica, balteus, etc etc. In short I caught the bug, got the kit, my mates think I'm nuts (but love me for it), and the house is looking more like the barracks at Housesteads.<br>
<br>
I don't re-enact, but the kit actually is really good for research and ready props for a short film I have planned. If nothing else, I've learnt a hell of a lot from forums like this, and feel I'm still only part way in the research. I work in the film industry as a digital matte painter (putting cities into backgrounds etc) and animator. I began reconstructing Housesteads in 3D cgi but became too busy. I'd like to restart that little project again.<br>
<br>
And there you go. I'm 40 years old, live in London, and can't decide between a centurion or signifer for the next additions to the ever-expanding kit (they're in the stories I'm writing as well). a hamata either way. Actually, a signifer would put me on the road to a cavalry set .......... ...... Hmmmm<br>
<br>
And here's the little number: hometown.aol.co.uk/jimmy5...anus2.html <p></p><i></i>

Re: Hi - Tarbicus - 01-17-2005

Actually, I know how to keep the belt up, and it is still very very unfortunate how my link gets abbreviated <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 01-24-2005

Hello:<br>
My name is Pieter (hence: Petreius, I know its typically a Cognomen, but someone out there is allready using my real name). I am 34 years old. I am originally from South Africa, but have been living in the USA since I was seventeen. I am now living in New Hampshire. I have been interested in military history in general and Ancient Greek and Roman military history as far back as I can remember. I was given Peter Connolly's "Ancient Greek Armies." , "Roman Army." and "Hannibal and the enemies of Rome." as a birthday present when I was in my early teens and took Latin at the boys school I attended in South Africa, which helped stimulate my further interest in Roman history (in particular military history) and culture. I consider myself an amateur historian, since I do not work, nor am I qualified in the field, but spend my private time reading all that I can, and do not suffer of any lack of enthusiasm or interest. I have recently read: "The complete Roman army." by Adrian Goldsworthy; All the Osprey books on the subject that I could get my hands on. Obviously all the Peter Connolly books mentioned above. I am in the process of reading "Neros Killing Machine." by Stephen Dando-Collins ( I know the book has been reviewed on this forum). I do miniature war-gaming, though not Rmans at the moment. I do not belong to any Roman reenactment group, but I am interested. I do belong to a group reenacting the late 15th C. I am however a bit of a thread counter and authenticity-nut when it comes to how I would like to do things. It is really good to find this forum - I'm really looking forward to taking part in it. Thank you.<br>
<br>
Pieter. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Why? - richsc - 01-25-2005

Salve Petreius, glad to have you. I think there are severarl groups in the New England region, Legio III comes to mind. You can look our Matt Amt's Legio XX website<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx<br>
for a list of active groups up there. <p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>

New from Legio IX Hispana - Anonymous - 01-25-2005

Avete,<br>
I live in Vancouver, WA.<br>
I am active in the SCA as Late Roman, 490CE.<br>
However, the SCA lends itself heavily to many who are not as interested in actually living in the period as they are in "playing". Don't get me wrong...I LOVE being able to hit people, but would like to be more authentic. My SCA Knight went Roman 2 years ago, and dragged me along. Since then, we have joined LegioIX Hispana, and are constantly looking for ways to better our depiction of Late Roman miltary life.<br>
<br>
I have a couple of questions...<br>
<br>
I currently wear Lorica Squamata (leather lemallar) to fight. It works great on the field. My question is, how period is this type of armor for Late Roman Auxilia, specifically Cavalry?<br>
<br>
Should I go back to my Hamata to be more authentic?<br>
<br>
I would appreciate any input any of you might have.<br>
<br>
By the way, thanks for offering this awesome site.<br>
<br>
Rufrius <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 01-26-2005

Salve,<br>
<br>
I'm 17 years old, my house is in Zaventem (next to Brussels in Belgium) and I'm reenacting the 1st-2nd century AC, during the reign of Traianus. For the moment I'm still doing this on my own, but I'm planning to join the recently new-founded group here in Belgium (Legio XXX 'Ulpia Victrix' Coh IV).<br>
<br>
My interests also go to the Greeks, which I'm planning to do within a couple of years. My military history interest stretches out from 1285 BC (battle of Kadesh between king Ramses II of Egypt and king Muwatilis from the Hittites) until the battle of the Golden Spurs, here in Flanders in 1302 AC, so it was quite a hard choice which one to do for reenactment. I'm planning to become history teacher for the Greek-Roman-Medieval times (here in Belgium kids from13-14-15 years old).<br>
<br>
As a kind of end a seeing from Vegetius :<br>
<br>
Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.<br>
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. <p></p><i></i>

Rufrius - Anonymous - 01-28-2005

Salve, Welcome!<br>
<br>
I don't know too much about Late Roman stuff (I currently portray Mid-1st Century CE Miles Gregarii...Perhaps going earlier to Late Republic/Marius/Augustus in the future)<br>
Anyways, There are 2 good Osprey books on Late Roman stuff from what I know, one on Infantry and the other on Cavalry.<br>
<br>
There is still no Historical/Archaelogical evidence for Leather armor. Not as far as I know.<br>
<br>
I would suggest you go back to Lorica Hammata/Maille armor. You don't need the "Greek"/Early style with the shoulder-doubling, you can go with a "typical" long-sleeved, mid-thigh length riveted maille armor - that seems to be the more typical armor of the time period.<br>
<br>
But that's the extent of my knowledge on Late stuff. There are a few Late Roman people here on the board, you'll seem 'em around.<br>
<br>
good luck, have fun. <p>Titus Vulpius Dominicus ~ Your Friendly Neighborhood Roman Dude.<br>
<br>
Svaviter in Modo, Fortiter in Re (Soft in Manner, Strong in Deed)<br>
<br>
www.higgins.org <br>
www.higginssword.org </p><i></i>

Re: New from Legio IX Hispana - Robert Vermaat - 01-28-2005

Vale Rufrius,<br>
<br>
Being one of the 'Late guys' Andy mentioned, I agree with him. The Lorica hamata would have been the most common armor around, infantry and cavalry alike. A squamata would be made from scales (currently busy with that) but I'm not sure if the Romans even had a word for lamellar armour. But there seems to be evidence of this being around. How does yours look? (Best aswer this in one of the other sections so we'll get noticed ) <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>

Late Roman Armor - Anonymous - 01-28-2005

Thank you.<br>
<br>
I'll probably stick to the Leather Lemallar for SCA combat, cause I'm gettin' old, and am averse to too much pain.<br>
<br>
But outside of combat, I'll switch back to my Hamata, like a Good Roman Soldier...I love the looks at SCA events from people..."Why is he still in armor at midnight?"...always on duty... <p></p><i></i>

Hi - Anonymous - 02-26-2005

My name is Ed Chavez, I live in Mexico, i like all the stuff about the roman army, I paint milititary miniatures, one of the things i would like to ask is if you guys can recommended me some good books about the roman army and its history.<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance<br>
Ed <p></p><i></i>

Re: New from Legio IX Hispana - richsc - 02-26-2005

Salve Ed! Plenty of books on the Roman army. If you look through the 'references' section there are many books discussed. At one point we had a bibliography, though it may be down the list. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 03-01-2005

hi all.<br>
<br>
just like to say hello.<br>
<br>
im chris i live in the uk/ england and am 20 years old..<br>
<br>
i have always been into the history of rome and more importantly the battles military tactics, and bravery and courage..<br>
<br>
for the last 4 years very much so ihave read endless books and frequented hundreds of sites looking and studying..<br>
<br>
i also have been playing a game recently called rome total war i am one of the best players online... and i love everything to do with rome..<br>
<br>
Hey all. <p></p><i></i>