RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Gaius Honorius Felix - 02-02-2006

Ok how do I do that, I cant find it in my profile preferences? :oops:

Re: NEW RECRUITS - FAVENTIANVS - 02-02-2006

Once in the your profile button (on top), press profile settings and then press reading, you'll see it. :wink:

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Gaius Honorius Felix - 02-03-2006

It says its all activated, it should be working. And it is Big Grin

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Matthius - 02-08-2006

Ave everyone.

I am new here, with a question for anyone who'd like to PM me the answer.

What is the correct way to greet a fellow Roman of the same class? Or does it change?

If so, what was the correct way of greeting in Commodus' reign?

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Legatus - 02-08-2006

Hiya, I posted a short intro in my topic in the Roman section but here's the slightly more in-depth version.

Real name's Peter Downing, just turned 18 studying Ancient History at A-level in Leicester.

Always been fairly interested in Rome I guess, my parents go me the odd book about Rome when I was a kid and then I entered college and picked the subject. Since the I've been getting steadily more interested in ancient history, specifically the Romans, particularly those of the early republic and (of course) the ones who came to Britain.

Other stuff about me. I'm a keen wargamer, mostly steampunk (Warmachine) and Sci-fi (Starship Troopers and Babylon 5) but the moment I have the cash to get more I'll be investing in some Ancients stuff (OK, I admit it's partly so I can nick a table at the local Games Workshop because they make an 'ancients' game Tongue ).

I'm an avid reader, currently rereading Dune, Julius Caesar (by Christian Meier, it's a good look at Roman society in Caesar's lifetime) and reading Plato's Republic and On Liberty by J.S. Mill as side stuff for my politics A-level.

I really don't read that much fiction do I, only just realised that.

I occasionally think about re-enacting but i never have the money and it's a little too close to LARP at times for my liking...

I picked the name Legatus mostly because I remembered it as the name for the youngsters learning the basics of military work, seems pretty appropriate :lol:

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Praefectusclassis - 02-08-2006

Hi Peter,
Welcome to RAT. Hope you'll find it a good place to stay in.
Nice rank you picked yourself, I assume you mean tribunus angusticlavus :wink:

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Legatus - 02-08-2006

Y'what?

I'm not too hot up on the specific ranks, haven't done much in-depth work on the cursus honorum. A little enlightenment?

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Praefectusclassis - 02-08-2006

I'm teasing :wink: Rich youngsters could be in two (partially military) careers.
Equestrians younglings started out with the tres militiae, command of an auxiliary cohort, tribunus angusticlavius of a legion and prefect of an ala. The could then go on into higher administrative or military jobs.
Senatorial brats would start as tribunus laticlavius of a legion and became, at a later point, legatus, commander of a legion.

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Legatus - 02-09-2006

Blast. Well, I'll call it a field promotion :wink:

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Praefectusclassis - 02-09-2006

:lol:

Re: NEW RECRUITS - emj1s - 02-09-2006

What Happened to the one with my info.

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Jeroen Pelgrom - 02-09-2006

a warm welcome to Matt and Peter!

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Matthius - 02-10-2006

Ahh thanks.Smile

Certainly one of the most inviting boards I have visited for a while.

Introductions - Primitivus - 03-26-2006

I enlisted a few days ago, and have become so engrossed in the different conversations that I neglected to introduce myself. My name is Rob Stroud, and I'm a chaplain in the United States Air Force. My home is in the Puget Sound area (across the waters from Seattle), but Uncle Sam currently has me stationed in America's heartland, near Saint Louis. I've served around the globe, including Korea and Guam in the Pacific, and RAF Greenham Common and RAF Alconbury in the United Kingdom. While in England I joined the Ermine Street Guard as one of their non-drilling associate members. Unfortunately, I have too many other pressing duties to become a reenactor, although I envy those of you who do reenact.

One of my bachelor degrees is in History (with an emphasis on the Roman era). Studied Latin in high school (along with Greek in college and Hebrew in seminary), but languages are not my forte so I claim no expertise in that area.

If I do possess any special knowledge, it would be in the subject of the early church during the Roman era. After receiving my Master of Divinity I earned a Master of Theology in Patristics from the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley. And no, I'm not a Catholic priest. I'm a Lutheran pastor, with three grown kids and one grandson.

I have always been greatly interested in Rome, and am amazed at some things I've already learned here during the past couple of days. It is a genuine honor to be part of this community, and I hope that my own modest contributions will help to make RAT even better.

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Ramesses II - 03-26-2006

Hello, I'm from Belgium and I'll be 19 at the end of this year. For the moment I'm still studying, after high school I'm going to study history.

My first memories of anything about some sort of passion for history goes way back into my early years, must have been 7 years old or so. First, it were just the Roman times but later on my interests expanded from Egypt until the 14th century AD. The campaign of Napoleon and the Zulu Wars I find interesting too, but I mainly focus on the Classical Ages (Egypt, Greece and Rome). I'm quite fascinated by the things Leonidas, Alexander, Hannibal, ... did and so I'm trying to learn as much as possible from them.

That's about it, if any questions feel free to ask Wink