RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Re: NEW RECRUIT FROM HISPANIA - Anonymous - 03-26-2002

Ave,<br>
<br>
I have entered my first posting today... I was introduced to the site by a friend.<br>
My name is Daniel Alfonsea, and I live in Barcino (now Barcelona); my nickname, Laietanus, comes from the denomination of the ancient tribe dwelling in the area.<br>
I work as a Police officer, in the Car Crash Investigation Dept., Traffic Division.<br>
I am attracted to the Roman Army topics both by my interest in historical matters, and by my hobby: historical figure modelling. I have not completed any Roman subject, but have a couple in progress. Will let you know if you like...<br>
Well, nice to be here. Will be around...<br>
<br>
BTW, what is the system behind my denomination as "tiro" as I have entered?<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Dani <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUIT FROM HISPANIA - Guest - 03-26-2002

Salve,<br>
<br>
Welcome to the board. The title is linked to the number of posts made on the board. You will progress up the ranks as you post more messages.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUIT FROM HISPANIA - Praefectusclassis - 03-26-2002

Welcome to the board! Show us some of your models when you've got them! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Robert Vermaat - 03-26-2002

Hoi Jasper,<br>
<br>
I'm from Houten, for the non-compatriots that't right below Utrecht. At the moment, my 'group' cocsists of only two people, although we have some links with Derk groeneveld's Exculcatores Votadini and Wim van Broekhoven of Archeon.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Praefectusclassis - 03-27-2002

Houten? Could you do me a favor? Two years ago a Roman tombstone was found there. It is supposedly on display in 'het Gemeentelijk Wooncentrum' (o.i.d.). Could you check it out? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 03-27-2002

Welcome one and all! As always, please<br>
feel free to post anywhere you like! All opinions<br>
and questions are valued.They make the<br>
discussions a lot more interesting and worthwhile!<br>
<br>
~Quintus<br>
<br>
<i> Veritas Omnia Vincit</i> <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Robert Vermaat - 03-27-2002

Hi Catiline,<br>
<br>
Indeed it would not, even more so because sadly West Wansdyke is rather like an elongated molehill when compared to East Wansdyke.. Although on Odd Down it may be still something worth seeing. Maybe you can check it out for me, some time? I welcome all local help that I can get and publish anyone who's daring enough to file a visit report.<br>
<br>
But, I may have a possible Roman road for you to ckeck out, if that's more up your alley..<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Robert Vermaat<br>
[email protected] <br>
Vortigern Studies<br>
www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/<br>
Wansdyke Project 21<br>
www.wansdyke21.org.uk/<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Robert Vermaat - 03-28-2002

Hi Jasper,<br>
<br>
I don't think it's in the WIC right now, but it might have moved back there. From the top off my head I can tell you it's nicely displayed in the entrance hall of the Gemeentehuis (that's the town hall for all you English folk). I had planned to take some pictures there, posing in my new kit. Apparently, all images of this unique find have disappeared from the internet.<br>
<br>
But just for you, I'll upload some big pictures of the stone, the reconstruction and the instription. They're to be found at:<br>
www.vortigernstudies.org....ructie.jpg (99kb)<br>
www.vortigernstudies.org....riptie.jpg (338kb)<br>
www.vortigernstudies.org....nsteen.jpg (127kb)<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Robert Vermaat<br>
[email protected] <br>
Vortigern Studies<br>
Wansdyke Project 21<br>
www.wansdyke21.org.uk/ <p></p><i></i>

... - Catiline - 03-28-2002

Hello Robert. I have found what I think is a bit of the Wansdyke near Englishcombe in the past, but it's hard to tell. Englishcombe has the remains of a Norman castle which is what they're most proud of, What seems to be the dyke near there is by now as you say not a great deal more than a glorified molehill. Assuming you have access to OS maps of the area or similar i live in Priston which is about 2 miles West of Englishcombe. If you want me to take a look at anything i'll happily do so. The old roman road is apparently evident in some fashion in the woods the other side of the ridge from me, that is to say some part of the old Fosseway, but it's ages since i was over there, IIRC what i was following was not much more than a footpath, though it was on the line of the Fosseway.<br>
<br>
As to Odddown I don't know where the dyke runs, but it's quite heavily buit on in places. again if you tell me what you want me to look at i'll happily take a wander up there over Easter weekend.<br>
<br>
Ed<br>
<p></p><i></i>

... - Catiline - 03-28-2002

As an aside I was saved from walking back by spending far too long discussing cosmology and string theory with my friend on Monday night, although 4 pints of Barnstormer don't aid scientific conclusions, and i ended up kipping on his florr, so no muddy shoes lokoking for wansdyke in the moonlight. <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - naso - 03-28-2002

Hello to everyone,<br>
<br>
I'm new to the message board so I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm a reenactor with legio XI in atlanta and I also do rev war. It seems as though I can't stick to just one period<br>
I'm also a student but not for very much longer hopefully. As far as when I became interested in roman history well I've always been a history buff. Well I suppose that's everything<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>

Re: Wansdyke - Robert Vermaat - 03-28-2002

Hi Ed,<br>
<br>
Glad you did not 'stumble' across it in the dark! But seriously, remains at Englishcomebe are present: there IS a large embankment (www.wansdyke21.org.uk/wan...groot.jpg) west of Manor Farm, but the rest is buried under the village, with the main street following the line of the dyke. The remains on Odd Down should be quite visible for at least some part of the section.<br>
<br>
Would do me the favour? Please contact me at [email protected] , then we'll discuss deatails, OK?<br>
<br>
My 'roman road' to check out is not the Fosse way road, but one that I may have found on an air photo. This one leaves Bath SE towards Bradford. But it may be nothing at all.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Robert Vermaat<br>
Vortigern Studies<br>
Wansdyke Project 21<br>
www.wansdyke21.org.uk/<br>
Robert's Arthurian Collection<br>
www.geocities.com/vortige...grarth.htm<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUIT FROM HISPANIA - Anonymous - 03-28-2002

Avete,<br>
<br>
Just trying to add a "personal photo"... I could not. What´s the way to have a "photo" besides my postings? I would use an image from a plate on a book, to keep in style. I have selected a suitable "face", and have it as a file in my computer. Now, what should I do?<br>
<br>
Valete <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=laietanus>Laietanus</A> at: 3/28/02 3:55:48 pm<br></i>

Re: NEW RECRUIT FROM HISPANIA - Praefectusclassis - 03-28-2002

If you've got a picture, upload it to a domain that allows outsourcing. Then in your profile add the link for your personal profile. If you can't find a domain, send the file to Jenny ( [email protected] ), she can upload it and give you the correct link. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUIT FROM HISPANIA - Anonymous - 03-28-2002

Welcome to the board Naso!<br>
<br>
~Quintus<br>
<br>
<i> Veritas Omnia Vincit</i> <p></p><i></i>