RomanArmyTalk
NEW RECRUITS - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: NEW RECRUITS (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Another recruit from Tarraconense - Anonymous - 03-28-2002

Salve,<br>
<br>
I have registered just today, although I've been reading the posts for some months. My name is Marc and I'm from Barcelona (or Barcino, if you prefer), but right now I'm living in Lyon (Lugdunum) for a year or so.<br>
<br>
I'm physicist, and currently working in my PhD thesis, and I've been always interested in Ancient and Medieval History. Some months ago, just surfing the web, I found the Roman Army forum and I've visited it almost every day since then... great discussions.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Marc <p></p><i></i>

Re: Another recruit from Tarraconense - Praefectusclassis - 03-28-2002

Hi Marc,<br>
Welcome & make yourself at home! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: Colorado - Anonymous - 03-28-2002

<i> - where are you from?</i><br>
I have lived in Colorado for last 25 years.<br>
<i> - how'd you become interested in Rome?</i><br>
Became interested in "things ancient" at about the age of nine when I became interested in Greek mythology (especially Trojan War), which led to history. Was reading <i> The Odyssey</i> and Caesar's <i> Gallic War</i> in translation (which I'd received as a gift) a year later. Read Sutcliffe's <i> Eagle of the Ninth</i> and then <i> The Lantern Bearers</i> early on. I've had an interest in the 'historical' Arthur ever since, as well as a fascination with the decaying empire - the 'lights' going out one by one.<br>
<i> - why are you here?</i><br>
Stumbled across this board in the ezboard index.<br>
<i> - do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?</i><br>
I do not re-enact, but I do own a replica <i> gladius</i>, if that counts for anything. I have had an interest in history, and especially military history, for over 40 years.<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: Colorado - Anonymous - 03-29-2002

Well, you've stumbled to the right place Kalvan. Good to have you.<br>
The interested are really coming out of the woodwork, now.<br>
<p><a href=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic><u>Rules For Posting</u>

</p><i></i>

another physicist! - Goffredo - 03-29-2002

Hi there mfigueras. What are you doing your Ph.D. on?<br>
I am a high energy physicist ("particle physics"). Glad to see you on this board. <p></p><i></i>

Re: another physicist! - Anonymous - 03-29-2002

Salve, Goffredo. I'm working on dynamical systems (you know, "chaos theory"), seems rather theoretical, but in fact we work a lot in the lab also. On the other hand I've done some research on physics history (not very surprising, as I like both physics and history ).<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Marc <p></p><i></i>

Re: Montana - Anonymous - 04-04-2002

I just moved to Montana after six years in Seattle.<br>
Good to get away.<br>
I became interested in the Roman Army as a teenager<br>
when I learned that the Romans had a standing army that<br>
could be studied. I bought Parker's book and have been<br>
hooked ever since.<br>
I hope that this board can fill in the gaps of my knowledge<br>
and lead me to other sources. I own the major legionary works (Parker, Webster, Le Bohac), but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal knowledge that never gets put into a major publication. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Montana - Anonymous - 04-04-2002

Hi Aussum. Welcome to RAT. I suspect one of two things will happen: You will come away from the board enlightened with a new sense of wonder, or you will end up confused more than ever before.<br>
Feel free to join the discussions, as I see you have already. <p><a href=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic><u>Rules For Posting</u>

</p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 04-04-2002

Welcome Aussum,<br>
<br>
My single favorite book on the Roman military is Peter Connolly's Greece and Rome at War. You can get it from Amazon($35) or Barnes and Noble.com.<br>
<br>
You will find a wealth of info in that tome. If you don't like the book I'll buy it from you and give it to one of my new recruits! Guaranteed.<br>
<br>
PAVLVS FLAMINIVS<br>
LEGIO XI CLAVDIA PIA FIDELIS<br>
Georgia, USA <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 04-07-2002

Salve,<br>
<br>
Well, I've been lurking around here for some time and finally decided to become a member. Only problem was that I had bookmarked the URL for Romanarmy.com, so I only recently found out that the board was still running. I'm a 40-ish (but young at heart!) Danish guy and I really have no professional connection to things roman, unless some time as a game retailer counts. Why I'm interested in Roman history, etc. is kinda weird. One of my first memories is of me running around in the "basement" of the Colosseum, playing with some Italian kids. The same in Pompeii, I must have been about 5 years old at the time. My family used to go to holiday in Italy for something like 10 years when I was very small, and I've been there a few times since, I tend to get kinda "lost" in old ruins :-)<br>
I've been interested in history (primarily Roman and Mycenean) for as long as I can remember, Though I have a few other hobbies as well, motorcycling, wargames, etc.<br>
I game with miniatures (WAB primarily) in 28mm, for those of you who wants to know such things. Some time back I noticed you talking about making a Roman legion in a 1:1 scale, so I'm actually doing that now (in 6mm, though). It's a "project" type of thing, I take it up some time, and leave it at others, so it'll be quite a bit of time before I'm finished.<br>
I guess I'm here because, since I'm reading practically all of the posts, I might as well chip in when I can. Also it's always nice to have access to knowledgeable people, and there certainly are many of those here!<br>
All in all, I blame Goldsworthy, really. He rekindled my interest in things Roman after I bought his "Punic Wars", also I'm into "toga detectives", so I guess I'm pretty hopeless at that<br>
:-)<br>
<br>
I'd better stop now, before this post turns into the story of my life.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Svend Erik Jepsen, Odense, Denmark <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 04-07-2002

Salve Quintus Fabius<br>
Welcome aboard and you stopped the story to short was just getting interesting look forward to hearing more from you.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
Tiberius <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 04-09-2002

Welcome Quintus Fabius.<br>
Glad you decided to come and join us<br>
Quintus is such a great name isn't it?<br>
<br>
~Quintus <p></p><i></i>

Re: NEW RECRUITS - Anonymous - 04-12-2002

Ave!<br>
<br>
I'm Sam Kimpton and I am a member of Legio II Augustus in Portland, Oregon.<br>
<br>
My interest in Rome recieved a huge boost from my involvement in this group however I have never been a stranger to history. One of my long standing interests and a major focus had been The Egyptian language until my new found interest in all things Roman.<br>
<br>
I have also been involved in Living history for some time. Past, and other, Have included Just about every phase of American military history from the War of Independance to WW II.<br>
<br>
I beleive strongly in the idea that The value of this area of "reenacting is two fold: 1. public education and 2. experimental archeology. It is out of a desire to fulfill the former that I have engrossed myself in the study of Roman history.<br>
<br>
What a complex and fascinating topic.<br>
<br>
Well anyway that's who I am and the reason I am here is to ask questions, share ideas and to learn a lot from you guys.<br>
<br>
Very glad to be here.<br>
<br>
Sam <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/usamkimpton.showPublicProfile?language=EN>samkimpton</A> at: 4/14/02 2:58:46 am<br></i>

ciao Sam - Goffredo - 04-13-2002

Welcome Sam. Hope you dive in head first into our heated debates. And spread the news this forum exits!<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Gratis - Anonymous - 04-14-2002

Thanks for the welcome. looking forward to it.<br>
<br>
Sam <p></p><i></i>