RomanArmyTalk
Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Allies & Enemies of Rome (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) (/showthread.php?tid=6780)

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Agraes - 02-18-2010

Quote:Perhaps the Scholae Palatinae shown in the game Brabarian Invasion are a better comparison. But at least we've made advances, now we have eye-witness accounts of Sub-Roman British cavalry which actually fit the specifications of "heavy cavalry", and more importantly, is actually reliable! All right, weapons check. Contos, out the window. Longsword, without a doubt. Javelins, pretty much any shape and size. Four-Sided spear, debateable but destructive. Hmm... not a bad ensemble, doesn't fit with Melcor's ideas (thank goodness!) or the Romances (Perfect!) but it is certainly realistic. As for armour we have mail, paded leather jerkins, a small shield, and maybe just a dash of scale armour. Also perfect for the circumstances. Agraes, I'll need your help for this one, with this sort of equipment could the cavalry preform the functions your Breton cavalry does and still fight hand to hand with infantry? Also does nyone have a lead with Y Gododdin's shaggy white ponies? With that final bit of information we might get somewhere definitive and end all argument once and for all! (Well, one can hope) and then move on to details like numbers, tactics, and location. How exciting is that!

I don't think a game is a good comparison to Y Gododdin warriors, as it is usually done the other way round. I tell you this, and I used to be the project leader of a 'mod' of Barbarian Invasion called 'Arthurian: Total War' even before I started to do re-enactment - it got me started it.
Mind there could be some artistic licences in such poems as well, not always real fact. It is debated when it was really written down for the first time - 9th century is often suggested - and wether was it really originally composed in the early 7th century. I do believe it speaking for myself but different opinions have to be taken in fact. Don't deduce too many stuff from only one source. I think the poem has the original word lluric which is derived from latin lorica and stands for any kind of body armor. It could be lorica hamata - mail - or lorica squamata - scale - but Leslie Alcock for exemple guessed it could well have been a kind of leather armor.
The passage I quoted about Breton cavalry doesn't clearly mean if they got in contact with heavy frankish infantry. Certainly there is a clear emphasis on the use of javelins, and possibly they did come closer to flanks with swords and spears. It is not a picture of full frontal charge however, very far from it, but quite the opposite.

Again I post a picture of the 8th century Aberlemno stone. It is believe the carving display the battle of Dunnichen between Picts and Northumbrians (who are likely armored, at least with helmets which remind the Coppergate and Wollaston helmets). Don't overspeculate on it, but that's a clear depiction of early medieval northern british cavalry. The Gododdin horsemen could have look partially like this a hundred years earlier.
[Image: 465px-Pictish_Stone_at_Aberlemno_Church_...Detail.jpg]

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Ron Andrea - 02-18-2010

Thank you (again) for posting that picture of the Aberlemo stone.

It probably tells us--concretely, at that :roll: --as much as we can hope for about mounted warriors in post-Roman Britain. Advances in equipage probably came slower than digressions in those days. So we can reasonably posit that similarly equipped horse warriors existed a century or two before and after the event depicted. (Notice the lack of stirrups, which fits the theory that hard stirrups were not introduced to the West until after the Battle of Tours in AD 732.) And certainly might be valid for mounted forces at the battle of Catraeth circa AD 600, whatever the Y Gododdin recorded.

Of course, if the stone was carved too long after the Battle of Nechtansmere fought in AD 685, there's the danger that then-current hardware is depicted, rather than the styles actually employed.) That the mounted characters were assumedly Northumbrian King Ecgfrid's soldiers tells us that the Germans, now the resident rulers to the south, have adopted mounted warfare despite earlier documentation that they mostly fought on foot. It is exactly that transmission of Roman technology to the Anglo-Saxons--and the question of what the intermediate stages may have looked like--which interests me.

I'm with Robert. I don't care much about the derivation of names as much as on equipage and tactics. I too have polluted the discussion with digressions about [he who should not be named]. :oops:

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - ArthuroftheBritons - 02-18-2010

Agraes,

Thank-you for the response. However I should like to bring up the fact that I don't really think comparing Picts to Britons is a fair comparson. Picts and Britons had two different fighting styles. Picts struck like lightning and then ran away. Britons struck hard, struck fast, and followed up the first attack with more and more charges. Also, the Alans, whom you compare the Bretons too, didn't just swarm their opponents with javelins, once they were out of javelins and the enemy disorderly and confused they charged into the thick of it. Also I know a game isn't a good comparison for tactics and strength, I just meant for apperace. (And I actually have downloaded Arthurian, briliant job by the way) And leather scales or llamelar doesn't change a thing but the materials.

Carvetia,

Thank-you for the help, I now realise that the "hue of swans" part was poetic license, but perhaps the shagginess of the fur is a better lead. Either way keep up the good work!

Ron,

Your ideas about the intermidiate stages are interesting, chances are this intermidiate stage is the cavalry of the Britons, which brings up all sorts of interesting things to dicuss. While I realise we can't glean much from Y Gododdin I don't think we've finished with it yet....

Quote:That the mounted characters were assumedly Northumbrian King Ecgfrid's soldiers tells us that the Germans, now the resident rulers to the south, have adopted mounted warfare despite earlier documentation that they mostly fought on foot. It is exactly that transmission of Roman technology to the Anglo-Saxons--and the question of what the intermediate stages may have looked like--which interests me.

Northumbria is a bit of a special place. It was an anglo-saxon kingdom, yet it covered much lands that saw few if any germanic settlement such as Cumbria or Gododdin. Deira probably saw more angle settlement than the rest of what will became Northumbria. There is to my knowledge few germanic burials in Bernicia, and both Bernicia and Deira were originally Brittonic kingdoms. Bernicia may have been taken over by a small anglo-saxon elite and consequently, the nobles and the folk slowly adopted germanic language and customs. Bernicia showed much alliances and diplomacy with 'celtic' kingdoms, be they brittonic, gaelic or pictish, and the church of Iona had a huge influence on it. So it is really possible that in such an 'Anglo-British' kingdom brittonic warfare traditions were kept alive.
Alternatively, it has been suggested that Ecgfrith warriors fought at Dunnichen on horseback because they were taken by surprise. In my opinion it is a bit unlikely.

Now I don't think Germanics were complete strangers to horse warfare. In the Gallic war, germanic cavalry was really famous. In Late Roman times, we see several elite cavalry units with germanic ethnic names that may have been originally made up of Germanic warriors such as Franks. In 6-7th century Britain, we know of a good-bunch of horse burials with wargear such as the one where was found the Wollaston helmet.

Quote:Thank-you for the response. However I should like to bring up the fact that I don't really think comparing Picts to Britons is a fair comparson. Picts and Britons had two different fighting styles. Picts struck like lightning and then ran away. Britons struck hard, struck fast, and followed up the first attack with more and more charges. Also, the Alans, whom you compare the Bretons too, didn't just swarm their opponents with javelins, once they were out of javelins and the enemy disorderly and confused they charged into the thick of it. Also I know a game isn't a good comparison for tactics and strength, I just meant for apperace. (And I actually have downloaded Arthurian, briliant job by the way) And leather scales or llamelar doesn't change a thing but the materials.

If that was maybe a fact in earlier times, this is probably no longer the same case in 7-9th century Pictland. The Aberlemno stone shows a solid block of infantry facing cavalry, while on flanks the cavalry is deployed. Culturally, Picts were probably culturally nearer from the Britons than any steppic tribe. That is especially true for the Gododdin warriors. We know Pictish warriors fought at Catraeth on the Brittonic side, and in that region it is quite hard to see where Pictland ends and Gododdin starts.

I recommand the reading of The Picts and the Scots at War by Nick Aitchison for anyone who wants a better view of early medieval warfare in Scotland.

Speaking again of the Bretons, we really have a picture of hit-and-run tactics. As for running out of javelins, the poet Ermorld the Black quoted the Breton king Murman in his unrest against the frankish emperor Louis the Pious, Murman saying he had thousands of chariots full of javelins.

Another interesting passage:
"Soon he (Murman) attacks the foe, striking from behind, opening chests, charging here and there, and following the usages of his ancestors, flee to come back again."
Ermold le Noir, Poème sur Louis le Pieux.

And last no least, a friend from my group Letavia told me it is really possible to pick up a fallen javelin from the battlefield on horseback.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Carvettia - 02-18-2010

Quote: I now realise that the "hue of swans" part was poetic license, but perhaps the shagginess of the fur is a better lead.

Two thoughts arise from that then.

EITHER - 1 - the battle took place in winter and the horses were in winter coat (in which case, all of the cavalry horses would have been in the same condition, so why mention it).

OR - 2 - you're looking for a type of horse that has a lot of mane and tail, and hair around the feet ("feather" - known originally as fet-locks, or foot locks). Modern northern breeds with these characteristics to a greater or lesser degree are the Fell, the Dales and the Highland. All of them still can be found in grey (white). The other northern breed however, the extinct Galloway whose blood still flows in the three breeds above, was better known for being bay (brown). None of these are "shaggy" all over in summer coat of course.

And, as i pointed out earlier, these "breeds" did not then exist as "pure" breeds in the modern sense. We are talking about ancestors, just as we are with the soldiers.

Quote:Agraes: And last no least, a friend from my group Letavia told me it is really possible to pick up a fallen javelin from the battlefield on horseback.
Confusedhock: Ok.... Now that is impressive! The Picts a good comparison for thr Britons? I never would have thought. And while that might have been true at the time of Caterath was it true in the late 5th-early 6th centuries ? Also, and I might be wrong about this, don't Picts prefer to go into battle with minimal armour or even clothing? as far as I know the only Romanised parts of Pictish combat were the missile weapons like the crossbow. And what I found interesting is that the Saxons -who are supposed to cream the British cavalry- are so terrified that they will fight hand-to-hand that they run behind their Frankish cousins before the first set of javelins even made contact. Obviously they could fight hand-to-hand if they wanted to but were they feared enough to have superior infantry be terrified of a missile exchange? Also if they fought hand-to-hand would they prefer the sword or the spear?

Carvettia,

Big Grin No matter where we go, no matter how fast we run, the Fell pony always seems to follow us. I'm starting to think that the Cumbrian tradition is right and that Fell ponies were used as the official horse of Sub-Roman British cavalry.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Robert Vermaat - 02-18-2010

Quote:Fell ponies were used as the official horse of Sub-Roman British cavalry.
Assuming that anything even existed that we could call 'official horse of Sub-Roman British cavalry'. Which I think there is no evidence for.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Carvettia - 02-18-2010

Quote:
ArthuroftheBritons:2bhz2bob Wrote:Fell ponies were used as the official horse of Sub-Roman British cavalry.
Assuming that anything even existed that we could call 'official horse of Sub-Roman British cavalry'. Which I think there is no evidence for.

And also assuming that there was a "Fell pony" in those days, which we have no evidence for either way.

My comments were meant as cautionary. I would not insist that Fells or any other "breed" were an official choice (if there was such a thing) because they didn't exist as breeds then, only local types. In fact even my own FP Museum site says "There may or may not have been a settled "stamp" of animal in the area but we can't make sweeping statements on the matter. ... Animals were described by their suitability to various jobs, such as pack work, draught or riding; so they were types rather than breeds." Any of our native breeds' ancestors as mentioned in previous posts would have been well up to the job.

I trust ArthuroftheBritons is merely jesting at my expense!

Quote:Also, and I might be wrong about this, don't Picts prefer to go into battle with minimal armour or even clothing? as far as I know the only Romanised parts of Pictish combat were the missile weapons like the crossbow. And what I found interesting is that the Saxons -who are supposed to cream the British cavalry- are so terrified that they will fight hand-to-hand that they run behind their Frankish cousins before the first set of javelins even made contact. Obviously they could fight hand-to-hand if they wanted to but were they feared enough to have superior infantry be terrified of a missile exchange? Also if they fought hand-to-hand would they prefer the sword or the spear?

We do not have firm evidence for Picts fighting armoured, but it's possible their elite had access to it. I don't think there was a lot of cultural difference between a briton noble from Gododdin and a pictish noble from Fibb or Fortriu.

The Saxons were continental saxons from Old Saxonia, sent by Louis the Germanic to help his brother. It is possible however they simply had not a strong will to fight.

Oh I'm not jesting, and also note I'm starting to think the Cumbrian tradition is right. It's not my own idea. Perhaps it would be better to say that it was a Sub-Roman horse for the Northern Britons. And I'm sorry, I have to stop acting like I know about horses because I don't really have a clue when it comes to horses. And I do know Carvettia is right, that there weren't 'breeds' persay. But for the sake of simplicity let's just call them by their modern name of term them 'proto-' and then whatever the modern breed's name is. Also Vortigern I know it's note good to theorize using legends I'm just as much a silly romantic as everyone else enthusiastic about the legends of this era. :wink:

Agraes,

Hmm... good point. Mercenaries don't tend to have good moral, but you still have to wonder :roll:

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Ron Andrea - 02-19-2010

I missed the connection between the Picts and Britons, other than occupying the same island. I was under the impression that the Picts were a distinctive people (as much as any tribal group could be different from its neighbors) distinguished from both the Briton tribes to their south, who became Romanized under the Empire, and the Dalriada Scots, who began to invade/settle/whatever to their west about AD 600. Is that not true?

Horses widespread in Britain before the Roman invasions (pulling chariots, if nothing else), weren't they?

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Carvettia - 02-19-2010

Quote:I missed the connection between the Picts and Britons, other than occupying the same island. I was under the impression that the Picts were a distinctive people (as much as any tribal group could be different from its neighbors) distinguished from both the Briton tribes to their south, who became Romanized under the Empire, and the Dalriada Scots, who began to invade/settle/whatever to their west about AD 600. Is that not true?

Horses widespread in Britain before the Roman invasions (pulling chariots, if nothing else), weren't they?

Yes. They'd existed in Britain before the last ice age, probably moved south ahead of the glaciation, & were probably on the continent of Europe when the ice melted and the English Channel formed. Part of Robin Bendrey's research (University of Winchester Dept of Archaeology) is into the identification of horse use by studying wear on bones and teeth. Bendrey wrote to me (in answer to a query) last year.: "the [archaeological] evidence at the moment indicates domestic horses were probably introduced in the Late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age ..." and he sent me his chapter of a book then currently in press (Sykes N and O’Connor T (eds.), Extinctions and Invasions: A Social History of British Fauna. Windgather Press.):
Quote:there is a clear difference between the representation of horses at Bronze Age and Iron Age sites (Figure 1; Bendrey, 2007b). In the Bronze Age the horse contributes a relatively small proportion of individual assemblages (typically less than five percent of the horse and cattle bones). ... In the Iron Age, horse is not only present in all but the smallest assemblages, as in the Late Bronze Age, but often makes a more significant contribution to assemblages (Figure 1). This could reflect a mix of phenomena, related to changing attitudes to horses, such as horses being eaten more regularly, access to greater numbers of horses or horses being more commonly deposited as ritual acts. ...it was not a regular part of the diet, and ... the earliest use of the horse was not primarily as a food animal (Bendrey, 2007b). ...By the Late Bronze Age, horses appear to have had a critical impact on human society. They then entered widespread use, harness fittings and chapes were first used and largely complete horse skeletons began to appear in what are interpreted as ritual contexts (Bendrey, 2007b). ...

Quote:Antler cheekpieces, parts of the horse’s harness, first appear in the archaeological record in the Late Bronze Age (Britnell, 1976). The presence of chapes in the early first millennium BC suggests a role for horse riding in warfare (Darvill, 1987). These winged chapes, from the end of sword scabbards, developed so that a sword could be drawn while on horseback (by hooking the chape under the foot) (ibid., 128). The date at which wheeled vehicles came into use in Britain is also uncertain (ibid., 128). Cunliffe (2005, 538-539) states that although vehicles are known from the Hallstatt period on the continent there is no evidence for their use in Britain at this time (the Late Bronze Age) and suggests that the light two-wheeled vehicle was probably introduced to Britain during the La Tène I period in the late fifth or early fourth century BC. Presumably, therefore, functional use of the horse before this, without wheeled vehicles, would have consisted of riding, pulling loads without wheels, or pack-use. It is probably the case that the importance of riding in the Iron Age has previously been under-represented in the literature (e.g. Cunliffe, 2005), largely due to the archaeological visibility of vehicles and vehicle fittings and relative invisibility of riding (Bendrey, 2007c).

So - by the time the Roman legions arrived, the uses of the horse in Britain were already pretty broad.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Agraes - 02-19-2010

Quote:I missed the connection between the Picts and Britons, other than occupying the same island. I was under the impression that the Picts were a distinctive people (as much as any tribal group could be different from its neighbors) distinguished from both the Briton tribes to their south, who became Romanized under the Empire, and the Dalriada Scots, who began to invade/settle/whatever to their west about AD 600. Is that not true?

The interactions between those different groups is not that simple. The tribes of the Novantae, Selgovae, Damnonii and Votadini were not officially weathin the empire, except when the Antonine wall was occupated for a few decades. It seems that they were allied to Rome at some point as some of their leaders have latin names in the geneaologies (Tacitus, Paternus Pesrut, Aeternus, etc.). In the Early Medieval period, they are considered as Britons, not Picts. However as much they were different from their northern neighbours is not clear. We know for exemple of silver necklaces bearing Pictish symbols at Traprain Law in Gododdin.
From a roman point of view, and only really from the 4th century onward (first mention of the Picts in AD 297, before we have several tribes including Caledonians, sometimes labelled Britons by Rome) it may just have been that Britons were part of the empire, or allied to it, and Picts were the hostile barbarians living north of the Firth of Forth. It's a bit reminding of Caesar's dichotomy between Celts and Germans, with Celts living on one side of the Rhine and Germans on the other whereas it was much more complex culturally speaking.

Picts likely spoke a P-celtic language, like Brittonic was. The arguments that they spoke a Q-celtic language or a non-celtic language seem to be ruled out by scholars as far I know. They were called Cruithni in gaelic, which I believe (but I may be wrong) is rendered Pritani in their own language, which is the same that... Britanni... So Picts may just have thought themselves as Britons!

There was no 'scottic' invasion or settlement by AD 600. Western Scotland was heavily influenced by Ireland since the Bronze Age, and gaelic-speaking population was probably living there centuries before the era that interest us. The 'Adventus scottorum' and the legendary foundation of scottish Dal Riada circa 500 AD may just have been a political shift of one gaelic dynasty to another.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Ron Andrea - 02-19-2010

There was no 'scottic' invasion or settlement by AD 600. Western Scotland was heavily influenced by Ireland since the Bronze Age, and gaelic-speaking population was probably living there centuries before the era that interest us. The 'Adventus scottorum' and the legendary foundation of scottish Dal Riada circa 500 AD may just have been a political shift of one gaelic dynasty to another.

Hmm. I've read several sources which claim there was a migration of Irish from the area we now call Ulster to what we now call Scotland circa AD 600. I don't think all call it a conquest or invasion, but they certainly seem to feel a new people group was involved. Leaders and saints are named.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain Cavalry - Agraes - 02-19-2010

Leaders and saints yes. But it is an archaeological non-event and from the available evidence it is much of a picture of continuity we have in western Scotland by that time. That Columba and Fergus Mor of Dal Riata came from Ireland is not a problem, but probably the continuation of a process that started centuries ago.