RomanArmyTalk
Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Allies & Enemies of Rome (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) (/showthread.php?tid=6780)

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - ArthuroftheBritons - 10-05-2010

Well speaking of spear tips I have found out that a spear found in the Yorkshire area has been accurately dated to the sixth century. This spearhead was similar to the "Four Crosses" one except it was a little shorter, wider, and weighed a lot more. What do you think was its use?

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Astiryu1 - 10-05-2010

Quote: This spearhead was similar to the "Four Crosses" one except it was a little shorter, wider, and weighed a lot more. What do you think was its use?

I would guess at putting it on the end of a shaft and stabbing things! :lol: :wink:

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Medicus matt - 10-06-2010

Quote:Yes, god forbid anyone should have to be forced to read (because reading every post here is compulsory) anything other than the minutia of Sub-Roman spear tips and breast plates. Big Grin

Breast plates? Really? I must have missed that one after I dozed off. :wink:

Quote:Well speaking of spear tips I have found out that a spear found in the Yorkshire area has been accurately dated to the sixth century. This spearhead was similar to the "Four Crosses" one except it was a little shorter, wider, and weighed a lot more. What do you think was its use?

Find site? Yorkshire's a big county. The eastern half, the old kingdom of Deira, was under Germanic rule by the mid 6th century whilst the western half (Elmet) remained in British hands until the early 7th. The last 'British' king of Elmet was apparently called Ceretic/Ceredig..which sounds a bit like Cerdic.

Which is nice. :wink:

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Alanus - 10-06-2010

Quote:
ArthuroftheBritons:1q5a2b6h Wrote:The eastern half, the old kingdom of Deira, was under Germanic rule by the mid 6th century whilst the western half (Elmet) remained in British hands until the early 7th. The last 'British' king of Elmet was apparently called Ceretic/Ceredig..which sounds a bit like Cerdic.

Which is nice. :wink:

How strange! It's like deja vous all over again! Does this aid my proposal that at least one Cerdic was a Briton? :wink:

But you never know. I had an uncle named Cedric (gospel truth). He was French-Canadian. Confusedhock:

Quote:But you never know. I had an uncle named Cedric

Ahh, Cedric; the famous 19th century misprint. :wink:

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - ArthuroftheBritons - 10-06-2010

It was found in the Elmet area Matt. Hope that helps Smile What do you think it's specific use was?

Quote:It was found in the Elmet area Matt. Hope that helps Smile What do you think it's specific use was?

Killing people I should think.
End the end of a long stick.

Again, Elmet was quite big. Find site, citation, find report, evidence....anything?

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Alanus - 10-06-2010

Back to Matt and Nick,

Quote:Ahh, Cedric; the famous 19th century misprint. :wink:

Exactly! Probably by Victorians like Rhyes or Rees, who couldn't decide how to spell their own names. 8)

I agee with Matt. Probably meant to impale humans or rapacious snakes. Fairly effective in Ireland.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - ArthuroftheBritons - 10-07-2010

Oops, sorry, it's from Binchester, up by Hadrian's Wall. I'd confused the Roman name with a different site :oops: . And what I want to know is what kind of spear you think it is.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Matthew Amt - 10-07-2010

Well, they didn't really have *consistent* distinctive names for weapons, did they? "Spear" could be differentiated from "javelin", but a Latin word like "lancea" could mean either! Compounded by the fact that we tend to use "lance" to use a horseman's weapon that is distinct (in some nebulous way) from an infantry spear. SO, assuming you are referring to the "Four Crosses" weapon that had a socket and a long iron shank, it all kinda depends on whether the thing was too heavy to throw. In which case, it's a spear. But if it can be thrown, then it could go either way! If it's barbed, I'd tend to think angon or gaesum, if that helps.

Matthew

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Medicus matt - 10-08-2010

Quote:Oops, sorry, it's from Binchester, up by Hadrian's Wall. I'd confused the Roman name with a different site :oops: . And what I want to know is what kind of spear you think it is.

Binchester? So not Yorkshire then?

Without a picture of the spear, how's anyone supposed to be able to answer your question? Is it a recent discovery (ie from the 2009 excavation) or from one of the many other excavations that have taken place there over the last century or so?

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - ArthuroftheBritons - 10-16-2010

Don't know when it was from, just know that it was like the Four Crosses spearhed but a bit shorter, heavier, and wider. And by what kind of spear I mean things like a heavy thrusting spear, or such specifics as if it was a cavalry weapon. I thought that the extra weight would make it a great cavalry weapon.

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - Vindex - 10-16-2010

Quote:Don't know when it was from, just know that it was like the Four Crosses spearhed but a bit shorter, heavier, and wider. And by what kind of spear I mean things like a heavy thrusting spear, or such specifics as if it was a cavalry weapon. I thought that the extra weight would make it a great cavalry weapon.

This is an interesting comment - without taking you off topic, may I just enquire why you think the extra weight would make it a great cavalry weapon? Are you considering the extra weight behind the "thrust" of a horse or something else?

My reason for asking is that extra weight means more balance required for horse and rider so I tend to favour slightly lighter weapons for manouerability, but with the same "thrust" and impact coming from the momentum of the horse.

PM me a reply if you would prefer not to clutter up the thread. Ta!

Moi

Re: Sub-Roman Britain (Cavalry etc) - WorkMonkey1 - 10-16-2010

Quote:My reason for asking is that extra weight means more balance required for horse and rider so I tend to favour slightly lighter weapons for manouerability, but with the same "thrust" and impact coming from the momentum of the horse.

Horsemen stab down at their opponants though, a heavier spear head will give you a more powerful downwards thrust, the infantry man wants a lighter spear head because he's trying to hold the thing over his head in a formation for a long period of time, the cavalry man has the advantage of being able to engage, thrust, and disengage.