Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appropriate helmet for Late Roman Limitanei?
Dear Sirs at RAT, I would like to purchase a helmet for the purpose of an impression of a well equipped member of the limitanei. I usually think of the limitanei as being generally armorless or supplied with inferior/worn out/simply old equipment. Are there some suggestions you gentlemen can make?

John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
(when I saw the avatar, I immediately thought of Caius Fabius, who uses the same one)
It wouldn't be required that you have a helmet, afaik. But if you had one, I think you are on the right track about it not being the latest/greatest.

Check with some of the later Roman grouos, like Fectio, Comitatus, or similar. They usually have good advice.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hard to get much cheaper and more basic a late helmet than a simple banded one.

[attachment=892]HMS25.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks for the advice from both of you. I'll look for a simple banded/spangenhelm helmet.

RAT is always interesting and helpful.

John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Quote:Dear Sirs at RAT, I would like to purchase a helmet for the purpose of an impression of a well equipped member of the limitanei. I usually think of the limitanei as being generally armorless or supplied with inferior/worn out/simply old equipment. Are there some suggestions you gentlemen can make?
Matt suggested a nice one, though a simple Intercisa helmet or a spangenhelm will also do just fine. Your limataneus might have armour, but he's more likely to have just a shield. The comitatenses had better pay and first dibs on stuff, but the limitanei were not left without anything. They could and did fight well, and when needed, could enter the field army as pseudocomitatenses.
[attachment=894]intercisa1ds.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=895]2145_1_lg.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:pseudocomitatenses
Now THAT'S a word! :grin:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm not vouching for anything, but this was conveniently posted today:

http://romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?func=v...&id=288563
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Robert,

I'm not familiar with the second helmet that you posted a photo of, could you tell me what collection it is in?

Thanks very much,

Lucianus

-L.E. Pearson
L.E. Pearson
Quote:[attachment=895]2145_1_lg.jpg[/attachment]

Robert
What's the date on this bad boy please?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
It was auctioned by Hermann Historica in 2006 with the following description:-

Quote:Central and Eastern Europe, 5th - 6th century A.D.

Bronze, calotte-shaped, segmented helmet with riveted silver plates. The pierced forehead band and the two straps of embossed bronze plate pinned with flat bronze rivets. The vertical segments are ridged. There are remnants of the former iron mail neck curtain. Silver segments of very thin high quality silver sheeting are fastened to the bands with large knobbed rivets. Only rusted remnants of the iron reinforcements for the silver have been preserved in the interior (originally the iron plates extended beyond the bronze forehead band and were bent back over the outside.) There are remnants of zigzag decoration on two silver plates (left front and right rear). A longish nasal of massive and equally high quality silver. There was a wave shaped decorative iron plate above the nasal, detectable from traces of oxidation. No indication of cheekpieces or of interior lining. Height 23.5 cm. Weight 705 grams.
Very good state of preservation with numerous pieces showing loss by rust and oxidation. The former small holes in the silver plates have been inconspicuously filled with a silver/resin mixture. Essentially, it has only been cleaned and properly protected from further corrosion.
Helmets from the fringes of the Roman Empire, the so-called Barbaricum, are extremely rare, as only the highest level of barbarian nobility possessed them. This light and expensive version corresponds to the helmet of a high dignitary, not a battle helmet.
Spangenhelms appeared mostly between the 5th and late 6th centuries A.D. widely distributed between the Rhine and the western fringes of the Eurasian steppe region.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Don't forget the Burgh Castle helmet! :wink:
Quote:It was auctioned by Hermann Historica in 2006 with the following description:-
Quote:Central and Eastern Europe, 5th - 6th century A.D.
Thanks Matt for taking care of that one. I was away from the forum for a few days.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Helmet Deurne-Berkasovo Variant II markusaurelius 15 5,398 07-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Where have those late roman helmet pics gone?? richard robinson 6 2,531 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Helmet lining for late roman helmets Virilis 11 4,549 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs