Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uhm, confused to say the least...
Quote:So working brass rehardens it? Is it the same for bronze? I bought a torch too, so I can start some little projects. If the weather ever clears up! :x
Yes, working any metal hardens it.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Cheers Brian! :lol:

Yeah I have battered some metal out on the rig. But as they frown on the unwashed using the power tools, torches, and having our own knives, (which are such a safety hazard, as opposed to the unwashed monkey on the brake, in charge of the sixty tons of metal plumeting to the floor, which you are required to stand under 12 hours a day) I have not had the chance to do much real experimentation!

soon to change tho' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Sorry to butt in your thread again!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Brandon,

A Strilfield is just the updated Newstead Pattern.

Check out Matt Amt's , VI Victrix or Jared's site (Florentius).

It's STILLFRIED actually- it's a site in Austria where a Newstead type set of girth sections were found a few years ago Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:anyone? anyone wanna measure their hinges real quick? It'd be extremely helpful Big Grin

The original hinge I have in my collection is 26mm wide and about 31mm long (one half including the barrel), but there were many different styles that varied in size by a few millimeters in either dimension.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thank you very much, Matt Smile
Brandon Shifflet
Oh and the hinge pin should be 3/32 rod- it's very close to the original.
Erm, I kind of already bought 1/8th; is that too big? It's only 1/32nd off, so I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask...I'd hate to waste the brass I've already bought.
Brandon Shifflet
If you are looking for beeswax, got to a shop where they sell material for self made candles.
could be some new age shop or something like it.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:Erm, I kind of already bought 1/8th; is that too big? It's only 1/32nd off

No, no, no… the authenticity police will be measuring hinge dimensions this year at various checkpoints and recreation events! You cannot use them if they are 1/32nd off!

Just kidding obviously. :wink:
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
It's STILLFRIED actually- it's a site in Austria where a Newstead type set of girth sections were found a few years ago Big Grin [/quote]

How silly do I feel :oops:

Do I regain any credibility if a post piccies of the finished item?

regarding the beeswax; certainly in the UK you can buy small block of beeswax form haberdashers or fruniture care stores/stalls for just a few quid.

With the jewelery saw; I don't know the official line but I mount my blades teeth down to cut on the pull.
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Quote:It's STILLFRIED actually- it's a site in Austria where a Newstead type set of girth sections were found a few years ago Big Grin

How silly do I feel :oops:

Do I regain any credibility if a post piccies of the finished item?"

Heaps! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
OK, gimme a week to complete and I'll oblige.
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix