Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies?
JRMES?
Are they still being published,
What about finding back issues?
David Brown / Oxbow has not answered queries.
the JRMES site does not seem to answer emails...

When is the next one due? Do RAT members get a discount?
Why is JRMES #9 so hard to find?

inquiring minds are interested..... Smile
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:JRMES?
Are they still being published,

It is currently undergoing negotiations about change of ownership.

Quote:What about finding back issues?

If it's not listed by Oxbow, it is out of print. Try abebooks.

Quote:David Brown / Oxbow has not answered queries.

Not the fault of JRMES; Oxbow get sent the books and distributing them is up to them, not JRMES.

Quote:the JRMES site does not seem to answer emails...

The JRMES website has not received any emails - I know, they are redirected to my email account! If you have a spam blacklisted email address, they may have been slammed into the vaults of pobox and sprayed with a cocktail of detoxifying anti-spam chemicals before being recycled as eco-friendly daisy-chains and small cuddly animals.

Quote:When is the next one due?

See above. It's all typeset.

Quote:Do RAT members get a discount?

You already get one in the form of the money the present publisher has poured into it over the years. It was kept as cheap as possible whereas most academic periodicals have a huge mark-up slapped on them.

Quote:Why is JRMES #9 so hard to find?

Tricky... this one sounds philosophical... perhaps 9 has some sacred significance somewhere? Best guess would be I only printed 300 and all 300 have sold out ;-) Again; try abebooks.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
At some point I hope the licensing can be worked out for the eternal quest for on the spot/on demand printing. While I've visited the Espresso printer at the World Bank bookstore, has anyone seen the one at the NY Public Library?

[url:5lfpf5qm]http://www.ondemandbooks.com/[/url]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:At some point I hope the licensing can be worked out for the eternal quest for on the spot/on demand printing. While I've visited the Espresso printer at the World Bank bookstore, has anyone seen the one at the NY Public Library?

There are still quality issues with POD books - I have yet to see anything that matches the average equivalent slightly up-market tome. POD is well equipped to churn out mass-market paperbacks since IIRC it uses perfect or burst binding, but academic journals and most proper books use sewn signatures (libraries certainly prefer them as they are easier to rebind; when I worked in a library we used to curse perfect-bound stuff which, once the glue goes, shows a tendency to project pages all over the place at exactly the wrong moment and there is no easy alternative way to re-bind it).

Also the unit price of something like JRMES would increase if produced by POD and there are enough moans about it as it is. We are still a long way from POD equalling 'conventional' printing.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I can visit the Espresso folks at the World Bank and get them to print off a reference version to compare with a known print example: I could send that to you for evaluation. Do you know of a publication that has both?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20th Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC XX) in Cologne Eleatic Guest 0 992 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies vol 11 Thomas Aagaard 4 3,813 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Julian Parthicus
  Catalogue of Military Equipment from Pompeji jho 1 2,002 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs