Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Varus Headquarters found at last ?
He was a homeless person by that time , courtesy of messer Scipio.
But I think he had headed for warmer climes........ :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
But apparently he was not very salty. Smile
Sallustius Metellius
(Tim Riordan)
Jasper and I visited Barkhausen; not much news to add to what has already been said - my story's here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:... the site is definitely a marching camp (although the site was used quite frequently !) ...
I'd prefer to see evidence of defensive ditches, but if the four pits ("Vier flache, längliche Gruben enthielten verziegelten Lehm und Holzkohlestückchen, die gerade zu Radiocarbon Untersuchungen in Erlangen sind.") turn out to be Roman field ovens, then the identification is secure. (Either that, or a meet-the-neighbours barbecue site?) Of course, we don't know what size the (likely) camp was, so we may be premature in heralding "Varus' summer camp". Interesting times in Germany. Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Update ..... after some more "rowing back" they seemed to have gained a Förderverein/
Supporters club and a website in this process ...... :wink:
http://www.roemerlager-porta.de/
[In German/In Tschörmän -- vat du yu zink ?!] :mrgreen:

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
So, they now have found 23 Roman ovens. That is quite spectacular. When Jasper and I visited the place, they had found ovens, but were uncertain about the date; there was one Roman fibula, now they have an iron age settlement, several Roman military finds, and coins. I wish they told us the dates of the coins.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
The 23 ovens in the area they are axcavating suggests a very high concentration! Are they all in the same context does anyone know? I read the reports as best I could (my German isn't very good and I HATE Google translate)

And by ovens...what exactly do they mean? Is the same German word used or are their subtleties of translation I'm missing? Baking ovens, smelting "ovens"...

HELP!!! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi Vindex,
"Feldbackofen" = military(field)bakery

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
I think the answer to this is 'No', but does anyone know the Roman names for Anreppen or Minden?

Failing that, does anyone have any idea what the word Minden means in German?

Thanks.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headquarters locations. Lothia 2 756 12-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Lothia