Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesars
John,<br>
Indeed, Herod 4, was called Agrippa in Rome and in Josephus. I included him as a member of the dynastic line and ruler of related territories. It seems the NT is the only place Herod 3 is called as such, but to avoid confusion, I kept the line of descent in place. Herod 3's demise is certainly worthy of study; the legend is cinematic in its imagery and his actual malady interesting to speculate upon.<br>
There has been commentary in a variety of threads about "I, Claudius" and its merits. Whatever historical fudging it contains, I still think it remains one of the best novel series; the BBC televsion production rises in my estimation at every viewing in the current post-"Gladiator" environment of visual media. The DVD version also includes the documentary on the Korda/Laughton/Von Sternberg "lost" version from the 1930's. I think the Derek Jacobi et al. version contains some of the best performances of historical characters in existence; John Hurt's Caligula rivals Jay Robinson's (Robe, Demetrius etc.) for dementia; I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite, except to say that Hurt's is still capable of giving me nightmares, though he did have much more material to work with. The role of Herod Agrippa is a major one in the series, though I think his death is only referred to in a letter.<br>
<br>
BTW, I've been engaging in presentations in the last couple of weeks and having had the time for lengthy posts. You filled in much of what I'd have like to have said: Tibi ago Corona Regalis etc.!<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=togaman>Togaman</A> at: 11/3/03 3:26 pm<br></i>