Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
More than a few, I'd say. The dead giveaway was your email address (which I peeked at when you didn't give your first name, as you should've!)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Welcome all newcomers to the Legions!

Make yourself at home with your fellow milites and tell us a little bit about yourself, such as...

- where are you from?
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
- why are you here?
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

I've been a lurker for a few months now, and posted a couple of times in other areas of the board, but I just found this tonight so I thought I would throw something out.

I am from Gladstone, Missouri (near Kansas City) in the USA. I've been interested in Rome since I was a child. I found an old schoolbook about King Arthur at my grandparent's house ([i]King Arthur and His Knights[i], by Maude Radford Warren, copyright 1905 -- I still have it on my shelf). One of the tales is "How King Arthur Fought Rome," in which the Roman Emperor demands tribute from King Arthur, and King Arthur beats the snot out of him for his trouble. The story itself was not particularly memorable, but it set my imagination on fire, and I went to the local library and checked out everything they had (in both the kids and adults sections) on the Roman Empire. I was hooked and it has become a lifelong interest (though I am also interested in military history in general).

I found out about the forum when I subscribed to Ancient Warfare (which I love, thanks Jasper!). I am here to find other people who are as interested in the ancient world as I am. I am more than a casual hobbyist, less than a professional researcher or academic. I think that makes me obsessed. Big Grin My day job is in software development for a financial services firm. I love computer programming almost as much as I enjoy studying military history -- *almost*. I essentially work for the purpose of making enough money to continue to build my library. I have already made several purchases based on recommendations from this forum (thank you!), and have a list as long as my arm of future acquisitions. I am very interested in hearing of academic journals that other members feel are a good investment for the serious learner.
Matthew Copple
[email protected]
Hi there, another new recruit !

I live in a little town near Eindhoven in the Netherlands. I have been interested in history in general since my schooldays, which seems like centuries ago, and in Roman history since my first visit of Roma three years ago. Since then I have visited some other historical Roman sites like Trier and Verona. With great interest and pleasure I have read the outstanding work of Adrian Goldsworthy (Caesar, The Fall of Rome and Carthage) and recently I purchased a copy of Bernard van Baelen's work on the Roman Army. I plan to purchase his work on the Roman Navy as well.
As far as Dutch Roman history concerns I am intrigued by the controversies surrounding the importance of the Roman presence in this part of the Empire. Hope to learn a lot about that here on the forum. Also hope to get some tips on academic journals (I already know about the Journal of Roman Archeology and the Journal of Roman Military Equipment).
I don't do re-enacting, I am a lifetime student (always hungry for knowledge) and work in neonatal intensive care.
Concerning my nickname: The Temple dedicated to all Gods in Roma, The Pantheon, is to my opinion one of the most beautiful examples of Roman architecture. I can spend hours and hours drinking espresso or grappa on the terrace of Night & Day on the piazza della Rotonda looking at Hadrianus' master piece (and the Roman females !!;-) ). Marcus Agrippa must have been one happy dude having his name placed on the temple !

Cheers !

CJ
Christ-jan
Welkom op het forum C.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:recently I purchased a copy of Bernard van Baelen's work on the Roman Army. I plan to purchase his work on the Roman Navy as well.

Ah, you mean Bernard Van Daele? That's the centurion of our legion (see link in signature). His books are very informative, and give a good global sketch of the Roman army - and that in Dutch. 8-) Tongue

Welcome!
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Ah, you mean Bernard Van Daele? That's the centurion of our legion (see link in signature). His books are very informative, and give a good global sketch of the Roman army - and that in Dutch. 8-) Tongue Welcome!

You are right. Slip of the keyboard, sorry for that.
Christ-jan
Welcome C. have lot of fun onthis forum.Have you read jona lenderings work "de grenzen van het rijk" sorry if it is'nt correct, I gave it to colleage for reading. but it is very nice reading.
Vale
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I live in Grangemouth in Central Scotland, although am originally from Dunblane. I have huuuuge interest in history and am another re-enactor, although I mostly do the muddyevil period.
I have a great interest in the Roman army and have been very tempted to join one of the re-enactment groups - the Antonine guard are closest to me and I may well be joining them somtime soon, just as soon as I can get the time! Am also a wargamer and have to admit that the nice Roman figures that Warlord games have are looking far too tempting right now....!
Quote: muddyevil period.
:lol: :lol:

Welcome!
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Welcome C. have lot of fun onthis forum.Have you read jona lenderings work "de grenzen van het rijk" sorry if it is'nt correct, I gave it to colleage for reading. but it is very nice reading.
Vale

Thanx for the suggestion!
I think you refer to "De Rand van het Rijk. De Romeinen en de Lage Landen", by Lendering & Bosman? Well, I haven't read it yet, I only have a small collection of books since I started to collect books on Roman history only 2 years ago. The title sure sounds promising! So this one will be the next, together with van Daele's work on the Roman navy.Smile

CJ
Christ-jan
Hello everyone, just joined the forum and looking forward to participating in the conversations and learning. I am currently an outdoors shop owner in Luray Virginia. I am retired from the Marine Corps, 24 years. The only type of re-enactment experience is that I am a fencer.
Salvete,

My name is Quintus Claudius Britanicus (Ryan) and I'm from Tigard, Oregon, U.S.A. While I've always been interested in medieval and ancient history, I'd never given much thought to where it might take me. As it happens, an old Marine buddy of mine is part of a re-enactment group (Legio II AVGVSTA) and got me interested in Roman history, specifically 100 B.C. - 200 A.D. When I'd left, they were trying to get an SCA combat wing off the ground. After doing four years in the Marine Corps (Semper Fidelis to you, Gary), I'm back home and picking up where I'd left off, slowly starting to acquire and fabricate my kit, as learn the in's and out's of our unit, it's history, and re-enacting in general. They suggested that I start posting here, as it's a veritable goldmine of information!

I'm currently in school, having switched my area of study from theater and acting to micro-electronics and solar-cell manufacturing at the advice of all my acting teachers - "Having an acting degree is good, but having a roof over your head and food on the table is much better..." I get acting roles when I can, and in the meantime it's study, study, study as I slowly build my kit. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this site.

Best regards,

-Quintus Cladius Britanicus,
Legionaire, LEGIIAVG
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
Salve everyone,

My real name is Fabian Behrens and I'm 25 years of age. I'm from Bamberg, Germany and I'm studying to be a teacher for the subjects of German and history at the University of Bamberg. Before I started my studies I spent two years in the German Army and became a reserve officer in the infantry. In my free time I am a swimm coach and I swimm myself (more or less professional). other Sports I occasionally do are skiing, biking, running and sword fighting (longsword after Lichtenauer and long knive).
My interest in the roman army goest back to a my kindergarden age when I got a book with acient storyies about Caesars' life and other stories about several roman battles.

This interest became more solid as I started to do Live Role Playing.

[I know what Reenactors like you think about live roleplay and I have to admit you are generaly right! So I hope you will see this as a humble try to improve for me.]

I asked myself what cind of role I'd like to play and the answer was instantly a roman legionary. I started research about the equipment and builded a lorica segm,entata after the patterns described at the homepage of the XX.Legion.

After some time I met more and more people who shared that intrest and I becam a member of the X.Legion (Larp group). We try to get to reenactment kit standards to do "reenlarpment". This still is a long way and I wanted to learn from the professionals like you. That's one reason why I'm here.
I hope to piss noone off, doing live role play.

The other reason to be here is also to look into roman reenactment and mybe get in contact with english / german reenactors and try reenacting.

I am happy for every advice you can give me.

my next projects are to build another lorica segmentata (combrdge type B)some new tunics and a propper balthaeus / cingulum.

If someone knows a dicussiun about one of these topics please post a reply and a link to it.

Thank you and Vale,

Ursus.
Salve, I'm Matt from Toledo, Ohio. I am currently a senior at the University of Toledo, majoring in history, and planning to become a Professor of History. Rome has always been a passion of mine, coming from an strong Italian family. I am just getting into re-enactment, I hope to become an active member of this forum!
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Salvete Amici,

My real name is Brandon Barnes, I live in northern southern CA (If that makes sense). I have been involved in reenactment since late in 2007 previously with LEG VI VIC, now with a new unit to Southern CA, COHORS I PRAETORIA.

My interest in all things started when I was about 12, when I really became aware of my Italian heritage and wanted to learn more, my research just shifted towards Ancient Rome, and then came a natural progression to reenactment.

I started my reenactment "career" much the same as I'm sure so many other have, some what misguided. But I quickly found my feet in LEG VI and went form a Tiro Legionary to the units Tesserarius in my first year in the group.

But my passion was to always portray a senior level officer and have been slowly gathering equipment for that impression over the years, and just when I got my kit together to play the Tribune for the VI, I left unit. (Kind of funny that)

So now I am with a unit that is just a year old now, and all of involved are working feverishly to improve our encampement and impressions and working towards making a name for ourselves.

So some of you already know, from various events out on the west coast as well as the last three years at Castra Lafe. I look forward to meeting the rest of you and exchanging ideas and thoughts in the future.

Valete
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org