Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
Quote:King Kong, the original 1933 version. Excellent movie.
<envy>[Image: Envy.gif]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
i bought the box with the orginal version, the son of kong (1933) and mighty Joe Young (1949) in the US (through amazon.com)

A lot of scenes from the recent version are exact copies of the 1933 version (the T-rex vs king kong battle, how king kong defeated the T-rex etc.).

Of all the "old-movies" i have seen, i must admit that this one is perhaps 1 of the best. If you like the modern one, you surely like this one.

see this clip from youtube, the stop-motion is really excellent:
[url:23ubmpfm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqZ-8CPK6g&feature=PlayList&p=E14356C6DF3D5E80&index=14[/url]
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:the stop-motion is really excellent:
[url:2czyw0q3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqZ-8CPK6g&feature=PlayList&p=E14356C6DF3D5E80&index=14[/url]
It's indeed splendid!
Jona Lendering
My website
Splendid, and long before computer-generated graphics. All the animation was done frame-by-frame using models. Now that's a piece of work, man!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The Boat That Rocked: an important movie, because it proves that the impossible can be done. Yes, what no one believed was possible, was within reach of the makers of this movie: take a pirate radio station in 1966, add lots of good music, hire an excellent director and ditto cast, and make a movie that is still unconvincing.

The basic mistake, I think, is the black-and-white portrayal of an übercool crew of lovers of pop music and an incredibly intolerant government. The image of young people bravely fighting for new music expressing real feelings is one of the worst clichés there is, and has already been parodied too often; it is now no longer convincing when somebody summarizes his life's creed by shouting "rock 'n' roll!".

Still, good acting & nice music; I managed to watch the entire movie. My advise: buy the CD.
Jona Lendering
My website
Ghost in a Shell2: Innocence.

The animation is very impressive, the storyline is difficult to follow.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
17 Again. It's meant to be entertaining and, in spite of a "family values" message that would have been more effective if brought more subtle, it does entertain. And yes, Zac Efron is indeed the next Leonardo di Caprio or Brad Pitt.
Jona Lendering
My website
Religulous, which I liked. Nothing new in it, but I think a good spark to make people think more about what´s going on around them. If you want to know what´s really behind a lot of things that stand behind this movie, you should read The God Delusion by R. Dawkins. Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. I was warned that it was anti-American, but the impression it left to me was quite the opposite: I was amazed to see how much the Americans accepted from this crazy foreigner, who really did not deserve so much sympathy. At least, there's less hospitality over here in Holland.
Jona Lendering
My website
Saw Das Boot last night....never fails to impress!!!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Yesterday at the Cinema: X-Men Wolverine

Although the film is on track to pass $87 Million this weekend the showing we attended was only 70% full.

The film itself is OK but nothing special. I am not steeped in X-Men lore so I have no idea if this film was at all faithful to the mythos. Much seemed improbable, but then it is a comic book and on that level it was OK.

As you may have heard the director attached additional footage at the end of the credits, different footage in different theaters. Supposedly this footage will give us important information about the character. No doubt this footage will soon be on the internet (isn't everything?) but for those who want to know, this is what we saw at our showing:

Spoiler Alert

Darth Vader is Luke's father

Oh... wrong spoiler :oops:

Wolverine is sitting in a bar drinking. At first we thought this might be the bar we first see him at in the first X-men film. But no, he asks for another drink - in Japanese. Seems Wolverine understands Japanese. The bartender asks if he is American.

Wolverine: Canadian, I think...
Bartender: Are you drinking to forget?
Wolverine: No, I'm drinking to remember.

That's it. Nothing we did not already know. Except perhaps that he understands Japanese.

As far as trailers:
Transformers -- More of the same only more so
District Nine -- This film is produced by Peter Jackson and looks a lot like Alien Nation only with insect like aliens rather than humanoid ones.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. I was warned that it was Anti-American, but the impression it left to me was quite the opposite: I was amazed to see how much the Americans accepted...

To explain: Americans are anti-American. Our government is mostly made up of two anti-American groups, the Republicans and the Democrats, who in turn are largely made up of lawyers, of course. These two groups have even taken over the local school boards, and you see what they did with that. However, the school boards themselves must live in fear of the real anti-American great evil: used car dealers. Americans can accept anything.

Ralph I.
Shoot 'em Up (2007).

A fun movie. Lots of shooting and people who get killed with a carrot.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

Star Trek. In which we learn that Doctor Spock has some emotions; that you must never blow up the planet of a Romulian; that the first name of Uhura is [no, I am not going to tell you]; that even in the future, deliveries come unexpected; and that, as a child, Captain Kirk loved The Beastie Boys. The beginning is too melodramatic, but once you hear the Beastie Boys' Sabotage, the movie becomes just fine.

And yesterday, my students invited me for Oliver Stone's Alexander. Even after five years, it's still terribly bad.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:[
And yesterday, my students invited me for Oliver Stone's Alexander. Even after five years, it's still terribly bad.

Hey, Hesphestion, thurs Pearsians over the hull, to be sure!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel