Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
My boyfriend and I watched last night on DVD the Western "Appaloosa" which was very good. Though we're both not experts of that time it seemed very accurate to us with the clothing and the hairstyles etc. The storyline was also very good.
Was that the Marlon Brando/John Saxon/Anjanette Comer version, or the new one? I've seen the former several times, but not the latter yet.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A new one from 2008 starring Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris, Renée Zellweger and Jeremy Irons.
Quote:A new one from 2008 starring Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris, Renée Zellweger and Jeremy Irons.

Excellent film!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Last night we were at a loss for a film to watch, so out of our modest library came an old favorite: Life Of Brian.

"Besides, medicine, the aqueducts, viticulture, the roads, sanitation and public order, WHAT have the Romans ever done for us?"

Monty Python -- those guys were way ahead of their time.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
The Gods Must Be Crazy 1 & 2! EPIC...AWESOME...There never was a more in depth look at human behavior-Craig Bellofatto
:twisted:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Finally got to see Centurion on DVD...can see why it didn't stay in the cinemas long...all that running around has made me quite exhausted!

A tad disappointing , I think...roll on Eagle of the Ninth (although I hear there is a delay in production)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Just in case you have not heard, and just in case you might be interested ...

It was just announced today at the Star Wars convention in Orlando Florida (during the interview of George Lucas by John Stewart, yes that John Stewart) that Lucas will release all six Star Wars films on Blu-ray in the Fall of 2011. No price yet but the box set will contain all six episodes and a ton of extras. They will not contain the theatrical versions of the original trilogy. So, for the time being at least, Han does not shoot first.

Here is some info on the release from IO9:

http://io9.com/5612939/star-wars-blu+ra ... -fall-2011

And...
One of the deleted scenes that will be included on the Extras Disc in the box set:

http://tv.gawker.com/5612987/watch-luke ... wars-scene

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Rented: 'The Losers' last night, truly a 'guy film' lots of 'shoot em up' action and some humorous moments as well, it is a bit over the top at times maybe, but still a lot of fun!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
At the Cinema: Scott Pilgram Vs. The World

This was actually pretty funny and much better than I had feared it might be. It is often the case that a film's trailer has the best parts and there is no need to see the actual film. However, in the case of Mr. Pilgram the film actually works. A comedy in a minor key perhaps, but fun none the less. (And on a hot afternoon as we are currently "enjoying" here in LA, two hours in the air conditioned darkness is welcome indeed.)

On Video: Whip It

In some respects this is fairly standard 'coming of age film' and another comedy in a minor key, but it is well done, heartfelt and showcases the obvious talent of Ellen Page. She is now receiving good reviews for her performance in Inception and the talent garnering those well deserved notices is clear to see in Whip It. We can expect to see more of her in the future.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
The Invention of Lying.

I thought it was dreadful! Jennifer Garner's character was obnoxious. But I guess that's how the world would be if we didn't hide our true thoughts in the name of manners, right?

Before Lying I watched Gladiator. I liked the sub-story of Commodus, which I really thought was the main story, but with Maximus being the main character and all, I guess Commodus took a back seat. I also thought Gladiator was very stylized and very Holly-Rome. A grittier take on Rome would have been better.

Netflix suggests that I watch Troy...worth it or not?
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Nil illegitimi carborundum...Don\'t let the ba*tards get you down.

Luctor et emergo...I struggle and I arise.
Quote:The Invention of Lying.

I thought it was dreadful! Jennifer Garner's character was obnoxious. But I guess that's how the world would be if we didn't hide our true thoughts in the name of manners, right?

Before Lying I watched Gladiator. I liked the sub-story of Commodus, which I really thought was the main story, but with Maximus being the main character and all, I guess Commodus took a back seat. I also thought Gladiator was very stylized and very Holly-Rome. A grittier take on Rome would have been better.

Netflix suggests that I watch Troy...worth it or not?

Hm, Troy is a difficult movie to recommend, I liked it and the duel between Achilles and Hector is a very nice piece of fight choreography, but it does not follow Homer and some simply hate the film for that and various other reasons. You will probably have to draw your own conclusions. I know that is not much help, but the opinions of this film are quite varied, as I said, I liked it, but I like anything with swords and spears (typical male :lol: ).

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:I know that is not much help, but the opinions of this film are quite varied, as I said, I liked it, but I like anything with swords and spears (typical male ).

Well, it wouldn't be a very good movie if there weren't swords and spears in it! Big Grin lol:
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Nil illegitimi carborundum...Don\'t let the ba*tards get you down.

Luctor et emergo...I struggle and I arise.
Quote:
Dithrambus:adffsa9a Wrote:I know that is not much help, but the opinions of this film are quite varied, as I said, I liked it, but I like anything with swords and spears (typical male ).

Well, it wouldn't be a very good movie if there weren't swords and spears in it! Big Grin lol:

I had the same notion concerning Brad Pitt as Achilles, he is actually very convincing (IMO) and possibly the best of the characters in the film.

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
I recommend Troy. It is one of the few movies I can watch repeatedly. Unsure about accuracy but well written and well acted.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb