Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
In fact, since Ben Hur or maybe Cleopatra (50 years ago), I've noticed a tendency to cast folks with English accents as Romans and those with American accents as Jews, Gauls, Barbarians, etc. Even Star Wars seemed to lean toward British Imperials and American rebels. (Of course, there is a precedent. :lol: )

You don't think it's been ethnic profiling? :wink:

I don't either. It just helps the viewer sort the sides.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Hear No Evil, See No Evil

Richard Pryor, Gene Wilder.

Classic.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on Blu-Ray. The alternative universe is seductive, the wit is amusing and the look and style of the film is a pleasure for the eyes - now I can watch in hi-def. All I want for Christmas is Cap. Nemo's SS Nautilus. :lol:
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
Would you settle for that most excellent roadster?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
At the Cinema: Skyline

Oh my ... Many films have been built upon the sturdy foundation laid by H.G. Wells in his still excellent book, The War Of The Worlds. Some films have followed his plans closely while others have veered off into interesting, if not completely satisfying tangents. Skyline follows the general layout of Wells, but I can not recommend this film. The acting is marginal, and the effects, while workman like, are not inspired. It was fun to see the MDR neighborhood, not far from where I lived briefly, become ground zero for the invasion, but that is small recompense for the ending which is not only predictable but laughably so.

It should be noted that the two brothers who made this film on an extremely low budget( by today's standards) where working as FX artists on the Sony Studios alien invasion film, Battlefield Los Angeles, when they broke off to film their own alien invasion film. There was much talk of law suits and counter suits but in the end the tempest past, the wind and furry lost in the blizzard of lukewarm reviews and dismal box office returns.

Wait for this film to show up on cable, then turn the channel and watch something else.

Here is the trailer for Battlefield Los Angeles. The trailer makes it look like War Of The Worlds via Blackhawk Down and it gives me hope, but I have been fooled before so ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORb3zC8z94w

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
It looks good. I like the idea of an alien invasion that has more of a conventional warfare feel to it, unlike War of the Worlds, or even Independance Day.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Hear No Evil, See No Evil / Richard Pryor, Gene Wilder / Classic.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah, my (late) father's favourite movie. Classic slapstick humour. Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Muppet's Christmas Carol. It is the season.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
I really miss the Muppet Show. That was good, clean comedy. With muppets. What's not to like? And the two curmudgeons at the end! It's me!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:In fact, since Ben Hur or maybe Cleopatra (50 years ago), I've noticed a tendency to cast folks with English accents as Romans and those with American accents as Jews, Gauls, Barbarians, etc. Even Star Wars seemed to lean toward British Imperials and American rebels. (Of course, there is a precedent. :lol: )

You don't think it's been ethnic profiling? :wink:

I don't either. It just helps the viewer sort the sides.

Agreed! I've noticed that too...British actors usually play Romans and Americans usually play the parts opposite the Romans. It'll be interesting to see a movie with an American playing a Roman. The last time I saw an American playing a Roman without affecting a British accent, it was in the mini-series A.D., Anno Domini. Excellent, by the way. I remember everyone else was speaking with British accents and then along comes the American actor Jack Warden, who was playing Nerva. Jack Warden's accent sounded so funny, so out of place, I admit it, I laughed. I think I, too, have been taken in by the ethnic profiling prevalent in movies about Rome... and in Star Wars.... :lol:
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Nil illegitimi carborundum...Don\'t let the ba*tards get you down.

Luctor et emergo...I struggle and I arise.
Quote:Muppet's Christmas Carol. It is the season.

Big Grin

Watched it last night followed by White Christmas. :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Watched Despicable Me in hi-def with the kids new PS3 they got for Christmas, hilarious movie! Big Grin

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
That's a great one. Summon the Minions!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:That's a great one. Summon the Minions!

fight fight fight! :lol:

Yes, it's very good. Even for those that don't have kids, don't let that stop you from seeing it!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
What?! Who says that's a kid movie? And even if it were, I'm just a kid stuck in an aging man-body.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.