Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me! about H. Russell Robinson
Hi!I'm glad to find this webpage,which is very very useful for me.
I want to ask a simple question,about how Robinson defined diffierent kind of helmets,such as Coolus C\\E\\G,and so on.
well in my opinion,this classification may be based on diffierent appearances of helmet,or chronological order??
Forgive my poor English,in fact I am a chinese student,and the reason why asking this question is that there is no bookstore selling the book written by Robinson in China.
If it is convenient for you,please show me some basic knowledge of Roman helmet.
Hello,

Some time ago there was an article about Robinson's typology on the main Romanarmy.com website. It is not online any more, but it can be accessed via the Wayback Machine. So you can read the article here.

Kind regards,
Alexandr
Thanks,very thanks!!!
(04-21-2013, 01:32 PM)liuliuliu Wrote: Thanks,very thanks!!!
Robinson's helmet typology is still the only one that treats the entire group of helmet types (although it excludes the late types such as Intercissa & Spangenhelms). It uses a series of criteria, rather than direct comparisons (as does the European system). The main problems with the Robinson system are (a) he had comparatively few helmets to draw on, so some of his conclusions badly need updating, (b) too many of the typologies rely on subjective impressions; we continually get comparisons such as "the neck guard slopes more steeply", and so on.

The late-pattern helmet typology exists (see Vogt, "Spangenhelme", RGZM, K.39) and this uses a similar comparison process to Robinson.

One of the main problems with the Continental system is that direct comparisons are made, e.g. "Weisenau". However, if you have never seen a Weisenau helmet, saying that any particular helmet is of this type is pretty useless.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Sorry Mike. Liuliuliu's last visit was Monday, May 26th, 2014, 02:41 pm.. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(05-06-2020, 05:01 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Sorry Mike. Liuliuliu's last visit was Monday, May 26th, 2014, 02:41 pm.. Sad
Ouch! Sorry - my bad! I should have checked the time stamp details. The poor chap must have thought that we were very rude here not to have replied to his question. 

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.