Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few New Medical Instruments
Since it was a nice sunny day, I thought a good workout was needed. I had been thinking of making some new instruments; Big Grin

This is a Scalpel from Stanway forged from a piece of 1900s wrought iron

The next is a Bifurcated sharp hook in the Bristol Museum

This is a Uterine from Hockwood-Cum-Wilton Norfolk.
Tomorrow I hope to make a few more instruments. I hope you like them :grin:
Regards Brennivs :dizzy:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Oh YES!!! Nice one, Tony! Love the iron scalpel! Is that published somewhere with sizes? Looks like a nice thing to make sometime in between, small little things like that are great to do when things do not go well and you need a distraction on a small piece for oneself (well, the wife's medical kit, really). Did you turn the whole hook from a single piece or is the stem inserted like Marco makes them?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks Robert Big Grin Yes the items were published in MINERVA but I just have photo copys of the article the size is aprox 6" or 150mm. The handle on the sharp hook is separate, to use one piece is a waste of material. I could make at least three handles for other instruments other wise the rest are one piece. So today I have been busy;

This is an unusual Forceps from the Ashmoleam Museum a hybrid Staphylagra is has a central plunger that locks the teeth on to body :woot: The pipicture I copied it from was only
2 1/2" long so I hope I have the plunger right.

The next was a simple spatula / probe with a stone mixing pallet

All in all a good productive few days. It took 6 hours to make the forceps :dizzy: : , still lots more instruments out there to make :grin:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Nice work! I applaud you.

I've encountered some similar forceps with locking-rings recently - in a book on the Casa del Chirurgo of Rimini (Ars medica. I ferri del mestiere). Marco recommended that work to me a while ago, and I finally got around to read it. If you read Italian, it might be worth checking it out; if you don't, the article by R. Jackson is also printed in the original English.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Many thanks Caecilius I know of the find from Rimini I am trying to obtain a copy to see what other instruments I can make  Big Grin  ( just do not own a Kindle :-x ).  At the moment I am just expanding the Medical kit in the group, So we can show what other operations that were done with the item rather than just talk about it. However I made a slight mistake on the Uterine, You measure twice than ask the wife. She spotted I made it tooo small :whistle:  Sick see below.

The top one is unfinished and correct size Big Grin  so I will make a probe or something with the short one. Thanks for the replys Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Very nice and interesting work, congrats!
Quote:Many thanks Caecilius I know of the find from Rimini I am trying to obtain a copy to see what other instruments I can make Big Grin ( just do not own a Kindle :-x ).

Do you own an Iphone? I don't have a Kindle myself, but the Kindle application works fine.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Thanks Martin Big Grin. M. Caecilius I dont own a I phone but I found a kindle owner to down load the book Big Grin  :woot: . I have searching the net and found a interesting cork screw implement :-?

Any ideas on what it was used for :?
Today made a small saw with a bone setter on the other end again I used a piece of 1900 wrought iron for the blade,

So back up to the workshop, Thanks for replys so far chears :-)
Regards Brennivs :woot:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Could it be a drill or an auger of some sorts? Interesting piece! And great work on that little saw.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Finally got the pictures to load - great stuff, Tony. They make my blood run cold just looking at them!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks Vindex, I have more nice instruments in mind :evil:  :woot:  OOH Robert sorry forgot to mention PM, yes I hand cut the teeth on the saw I have made at least 4 saws up to now and they are a bit time consuming but it is the only way too do it,

Here is a poor pic of one. I have another project for tomorrow :lol: But I will keep em coming.
Regards Brennivs Confusedilly:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Went to Vindolanda the other day  Smile to see what was on offer for the Hadrians calavry, they have the finds from Newstead, helmet, sword ect some nice pieces. As I was looking found found 2 medical instruments I had not come across  Cool one was a ear instrument shaped like a hearing horn but much smaller for which tonight I have started, the only thing as being in a case I couldn't see the crushed piece which may be a finger hold ?  The other is a probe with a strange crown near the top  Huh 
But ear one first. This is it part finished,

This how I think it was made in, the cup was just soldered on and you could see a seam down the inside of the funnel.

The rim needs to be taken down more and finger hold and finished.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Today again fresh from work decided instead of finishing the ear trumpet, I decided to start a new instrument a Clyster  Cry   or as it will be fully working replica a Enema syringe   Sick   Big Grin  I have wanted to make this instrument for a while and we have the funnel version as well, this always makes people wince  Smile doing the research the instrument is also used for other procedures on the body. So the photo is not the best and still needs to be finished,

Hope you like  Wink
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Finished the syringe and it works a treat, has good suction on the draw and injection ( used water for The test ). The plunger has a leather washer on the end and is lubricated with castor oil. The Clyster also comes in other sizes, for a variety of other applications like ears as we do today, gynaelogical and also the removal of excess fluids ect. There is also a bladder type which has a tube on a skin which can be used for the same purpose  Smile

As you can see the plunger has a good hold on the tube.

Hope to have the others done next week  Wink
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Today I have been working on the strange probe with whisk on the other end ? I have made it from bronze so a bit of fileing involved.

I still wondering what its use is but best guess is the prepare liquid medicine ? 
Also finish the ear trumpet works great, ideal for administering oil before syringeing.

It has been a productive few days  Smile 

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs