Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian's Wall in 198AD
Hi, 

This is my first time posting and I'm sure this is really basic stuff to a lot of you, but I'd really like some advice on military organisation along Hadrian's Wall in 198AD when they started to rebuild after the Caledonian attacks. 

My understanding is that most troops along the wall were auxiliaries, but considering all the rebuilding, was there a Legion in the north at that time and, if so, does anyone know which one? Also were there still tribunes in the legions, or had the army already been reorganised? 

I'd be really grateful for any advice!

Thanks,

Jenni
(09-09-2017, 03:31 PM)JenniFletcher Wrote: I'd really like some advice on military organisation along Hadrian's Wall in 198AD

Hi Jenni

As far as we can tell, the organisation of the army on the wall remained fairly stable throughout the second century and into the third (aside from the disappearance of IX Hispana at some early point!)

Your best quick reference is probably this one: roman-britain.co.uk

If you look under the 'Military' bar you'll find info on all the various units and forts, most of it very detailed and (as far as I know) quite up to date.

(09-09-2017, 03:31 PM)JenniFletcher Wrote: was there a Legion in the north at that time and, if so, does anyone know which one?

Legion VI Victrix was based at York (Eboracum) throughout the second century, and on until some time in the fourth. Detachments of other legions appear in inscriptions, particularly at Corbridge and Carlisle, which probably had legionary garrisons for some or most of the period. II Augusta and XX Valeria Victrix are attested at both sites, I think.

(09-09-2017, 03:31 PM)JenniFletcher Wrote: were there still tribunes in the legions, or had the army already been reorganised?

Yes - five equestrian (angusticlave) tribunes and one senatorial (laticlave) tribune. The legion tribunes only seem to have disappeared in the later third century, when the old equestrian military cursus was phased out - but the timing and structure of this change remains pretty obscure, and it's quite possible that tribunes (perhaps no longer from the equestrian order, although even centurions seem to have gained this status after Severus!) remained in the older legions based on the frontiers for much longer.
Nathan Ross
Thank you - that's really helpful. I was writing a book set in 305AD, but the Diocletian military reforms threw me, and this period is actually better for what I'm doing. I just didn't want to make any obvious mistakes. Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,254 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,565 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall mcbishop 14 3,693 03-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Last Post: mcbishop