Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linen Armor
Greetings,<br>
<br>
I saw the movie "Alexander" this weekend and apart from the soap-opera type feel of the picture, I thought the battle scenes were stunning. But it brought to my mind an age old debate concerning the use of leather armor in antiquity. Bear with me if I seem to ramble.<br>
<br>
It is an accepted premise that leather armor was not used to any extent in the Roman Army since it would not have been proof against the weapons of the day. This I believe to be true. However, would linen armor have been proof against the weapons of the day? I will grant you that I have no experience whatever with linen, layered and glued together, but it seems to me that any good spear would easily penetrate such a defense. Still, we know the Greeks used such armor. Is it a better defense than leather?<br>
<br>
I also know that regular, supple leather would be easily penetrated by a spear or sword, but that rawhide would be more problematic. I'm not suggesting that current thinking on the subject is incorrect, I just got to thinking that if linen was used (as it was), why wasn't leather?<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Vis Superavi Ignarum<hr><br>
<p>Vis Superavi Ignarum!</p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Linen Armor - by Anonymous - 11-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Re: Linen Armor - by Aluscladiusmaximus - 11-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Re: Linen Armor - by Carlton Bach - 11-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Re: Linen Armor - by richard - 11-30-2004, 01:49 AM
Re: Linen, leather Armor and the original "Barney" - by Anonymous - 11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Hollywood loricae - by Carlton Bach - 11-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Re: Hollywood loricae - by Anonymous - 12-01-2004, 04:10 PM