Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Sneak Peek at the Dioskouri Corinthian
You didn´t bash Manning and I never said you did. Dioskouri did, as I said:

Quote:in order to work backwards to find the weight of a 'live' Corinthian in the 5th century you need to make one exactly like they did.

Done

Quote:As I am not just a maker with a bias, but as an enthusiastic living Historian, I am disappointed to see such a huge disparity
between the helmets. The artifact based helmet didn't seem too different to me, just more graceful and detailed. Once it was next to
another helmet its proportions and shape really got set off on how 'different' the real ones are compared to popular makes of helmets
today. The differences are more than a little noticeable and I honestly didn't think the contrast would be as great as it is.

Quote: I really have not in 30 years ever seen a helmet like this. I never could find one that wasn't a bad
prop or a joke......so I decided I would make one and it would be accurate, perfect and beautiful. Its exactly like owning an
original one except not as fragile. I tried to make it as exact as I could and I hope you all feel that way a well. Its the only
helmet today made like theirs were.

As for what you said:

Quote:Somehow, the "logic" escapes me as to how this method is more accurate than one that produces a solid, one piece, seamless helmet (like the ancient ones are).

I did not mean that. I meant that it is also "wrong", whereas in the outcome the manning is closer to the original in certain aspects. Sorry for being not clear enough. Basically it depends on the criteria one judges it by.

Quote:One wonders if you might have connections with the afore mentioned armorer, prompting such an unprovoked, vigorous defense(?).

No none at all. In fact I also critizised Manning helmets on this very board for being welded together from several pieces some time ago, when an other board member stated that they were like the originals.

Quote:In any case, I cannot reconcile in my mind how any helmet that is stamped and welded is held as superior (in any way) in integrity to a solid, one piece (like the originals are), or deemed more authentic.

I don´t hold it superior. Basically it really depends on the criteria. I think both are not very authentic under certain aspects.
To compare the form of both is a bit weird, since the Manning helmet shown in the pics above is based on a different original than the Dioskouri helmet. Manning also has helmets that are of a similar type as the Dioskouri helmet, so one of those should have been chosen for a comparison, to start with, I think. I also think that the Dioskouri helmet looks really great, as I said above, but I don´t see Dioskouri´s claim of complete authenticity in regard of production method and outcome to be correct, and that is so for the reasons I stated above.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
First Sneak Peek at the Dioskouri Corinthian - by caiusbeerquitius - 10-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Kopis From Dioskouri katsika 54 14,138 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Daniel S.
  dioskouri KrimzonKnight 1 2,019 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: katsika