Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy looking to build a Roman era kit.
Looks like I may just buy the 300 dollar Hamata then, as long as it wont be too big. There is the custom one on SOTW but it looks expensive so I may as well get one thats cheaper. I know Kult of Athena offers one but it's both galvanized and flat ring wedge riveted, both of which didnt exist in the Roman period. I know Roman maille was 6MM and dome riveted round ring with alternating flat punched rings, while Germanic and Gaulish maille tended to be all riveted or half riveted, half forge welded rings. I know ebay sells some of them too but not sure of the quality. I just would like to know what hamata has the best quality cause I prefer to make single purchases I wont have to replace it in the future.

I have my eye on the DSC Gallic A, which is bronze but tinned. I prefer the look of the tinned bronze to the super shiny polished steel. Don't own it yet but I may just buy myself it, as long as I know it's good quality and period for what I plan to do. It looks to be my size as I have a 24 1/2 inch head with padding added. Without padding my head measures 23 inches across the brow. Usually 24 inch helms are too tight on me with padding.

Belt wise I think I will just make my own after buying a kit to make it with just so I can join whichever group I plan to join. Need a few websites and links to some nearby groups if anyone can help with that.

Messages In This Thread
New guy looking to build a Roman era kit. - by Shawn Sebok - 12-19-2014, 05:09 AM