Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spears from the Imperium Romanum
I visited the university and had a look at Simon James' report on Dura Europos and at Bishop and Coulston second edition. I did not find anything to back the statement in B&C p. 76 that spear shafts from Augustus to Hadrian were "usually of ash or hazel." Unless its in:

David Marchant "Roman weapons in Great Britain, a case study: spearheads, problems in dating and typology" JRMES 1 (1990) pp. 1–6 {UVic has every volume but 1 and 11]
W.H. Manning. (1985) Catalogue of the Romano-British iron tools, fittings and weapons in the British Museum {UVic has it, I ran out of time}

It did not seem to be in: Ian R. Scott, "Spearheads of the British limes" Roman frontier studies 1979 (BAR, 1980)

In Hoplites: The Classical Greek Battle Experience, John Kinloch Anderson found a passage about wood for spears in lines 127ff of the Cynegeticon of Gettius, a didactic poem on hunting.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spears from the Imperium Romanum - by Sean Manning - 01-22-2022, 02:31 AM