Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spears from the Imperium Romanum
(01-24-2022, 06:25 PM)Sean Manning Wrote:
(01-24-2022, 10:42 AM)Crispianus Wrote: I'm going to have to eat my words non of the modern books have details of spear shafts that I can see, though "Der Thorsberger Moorfund" katalogue, K Raddatz, contains fragments with measurements, which look like mostly ends for the spear heads, but no complete example and no wood identification even though other wood is sometimes identified.
Ivor, I want to make sure I understand.  Are you telling me that the two giant volumes on spears and lances from Ilerup Aadal do not publish the spears, just the spear-heads and lance-points?

And that Klaus Raddatz' Der Thorsberger Moorfund Katalog, Offa-Bücher band 65 1987 does not publish the spears and lances just the heads or points?

And that Andreas Rau with titles like Nydam Mose 1-2: Die personengebundenen Gegenstände. Grabungen 1989-1999 does not publish the spears, just the spear-heads and spear-points?  Because the wood is the interesting sophisticated bit, any apprentice can bang a piece of iron into a socketed spearhead!  And the wood is the rare part, there are hundreds of thousands of surviving spearheads from the ancient world but having the whole spear is much more informative.

I think I really lucked out with East Anglian Archaeology 118!  Which was available and affordable from Oxbow Books when I bought it.

Sadly Yes... as far as I can see there is no spearshaft detail in Illerup vol 1 & 2 though there are occasionally spear shafts in photos of the dig, however there are many complete or near complete spears in drawings of the dig in vol 8 basically a slip file of detailed plans of high class groupings, which takes up four volumes of the series.
The Thorsberg Katalogue is just that a catalogue, items 427-480 are pieces of spear shaft (maximum length about 26cm ish) mostly from the business end but there are a few from the center indicated by nails (Engelhardt), I assume this is all that survived. 
All these volumes have much woodwork but spearshafts definatly take a back seat.

The quality of the actual finds is superb as is the publication... except for this one thing.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spears from the Imperium Romanum - by Crispianus - 01-24-2022, 07:29 PM