Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time and place for this shield boss?
(01-31-2023, 05:29 PM)Dan D'Silva Wrote: Thanks Ivor.  The one from Branov is so similar that I could believe the repro is an inexact copy of it specifically.  Several obvious differences, IMO the biggest being that the original looks to me as though it has openings for spines, which if true suggests that it is indeed meant to cover a wooden boss.

The clearest explanation about the date for Glauberg that I can read is Thomas Stöllner's "Between ruling ideology and ancestor worship:  The Mos Maiorum of the early Celtic 'Hero Graves'" (JSTOR). The upshot is that according to Stöllner the burial goods are more characteristic of early La Tene than late Hallstatt.

Interesting to see that the Strettweg riders have long shields with round bosses.  I wonder what those looked like.

Yes I think its quite possible that this type of split boss has a wooden support in battleshields, it would make sense as the two halves would likely not have withstood a blow, in particular because they seem to have a gap bettween them which the spine channel covers.
The illustration for the Branov boss should show this gap but doesn't, this would make it around 14cm wide (assuming the gap is a bit less then the channel) at the grip, which is more them enough for a substantial wooden support and room for the hand, also its been crushed a bit so would be higher then the drawing suggests, perhaps 1-1.5cm more at the center.

Back to the "replica" boss you show, is this one piece? how big is it?...

Glauberg shield boss is there any articles on this?, as I'm getting no results...

"Der eiserne Schildbuckel lag im Zentrum eines ovalen Schildes aus Lindenholz. Vorder- und Rückseite waren mit Rinderleder bezogen und verziert. Das Schild war 110 cm hoch, 70 cm breit."
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time and place for this shield boss? - by Crispianus - 02-01-2023, 11:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Germanic Shield Boss madoc 12 5,845 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Germanic Shield Boss M. Demetrius 24 11,115 11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ghandi
  shield boss Chuck Russell 7 3,687 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Last Post: MeinPanzer