Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The army of roman republic, by M.Dobson
I previously (in the late 2006) signalled this book before his exit: now has been published.

I still reading him so I want wait to express my opinions, but, a part from the personel ideas about the theories present in the book, i think it is a good book for each people interested to II B.C. roman army.

Re-examing the Numantia excavations the author proposes an alternative view of the planning of roman camps here and the dating of Lager V respect Schulten ideas (in reality it is not the first as he reports). In short, he see in the camps the existence in the late II c. BC of first cohortal organisation, in parallel with the continous use the manipular organisation.

Many beautiful chapters and images over the Numantia's excavations and the examen of Lagers (only this is worth the book cost) and two chapter about theoretically description of II century roman army and camps organisation.

Here the link:
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/47046
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi

Messages In This Thread
The army of roman republic, by M.Dobson - by Mitra - 05-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Re: The army of roman republic, by M.Dobson - by Ross Cowan - 05-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Re: The army of roman republic, by M.Dobson - by Ross Cowan - 05-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Re: The army of roman republic, by M.Dobson - by Ross Cowan - 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Re: The army of roman republic, by M.Dobson - by Ross Cowan - 07-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ad Vallum: Papers on the Roman Army and Frontiers in Celebration of Dr Brian Dobson Renatus 0 1,493 08-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  New book: The Army of the Roman Republic Mitra 4 1,470 08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Mitra