Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accountability
In being a part of Roman Army Talk for the last year, let me start off by saying how much I appreciate this forum and all that I have gained from the resources and the people who have openly shared their experiences, knowledge, concerns and answers to many, many questions I have posted and responded to. There is so much more I could say. I really appreciate all of you!

One of the reasons I have come to RAT is for the construction of 3 Roman Military "Impressions" I am putting together. The resources here are phenomenal and so are the people! Sure we will not always agree on everything... sure there are always new archeological finds and new things coming to light on all levels of discovering the History of the Roman Empire.

We have people here from all walks of life rich and poor, educated and uneducated from all different parts of the world and nationalities... Archeologists, Illustrators, Writers, Historians, Museums, Reenactors, Modelers, Armorers, etc. I am not a part of a group and there are none in my area to gain such a vast amount of information and direction. So, I really depend on each of your areas of expertise on any level you are at.

One of the resources I come here for is the Marketplace. In fact, I will often come here more then once a day just to check and see what has become available. I have purchased and sold items with the aid of the Marketplace. I have purchased items from both private individuals and suppliers or manufacturers. Of course there is the age old saying of "Buyer Beware," and I will say, [b]I have yet to purchase something here from a "Private Individual" that isn't exactly as it has been described or pictured.[/b] I have yet to receive anything from a "Private individual" that arrived damaged or a different size that was posted.

I am sad to say that, that has not been the case with some "manufacturers or suppliers." I know the rules here are that we are not supposed to "Bash" anyone or "Badger" them or talk about a purchase made because of their listing here. However, I am a bit distressed about this policy, not as it is written, but I think that there should be some type of accountability that business transactions between buyers and suppliers/manufacturers who are selling as a business.

If we as "Members" are holding one another accountable in our posts... Which is good... Shouldn't we as "Members" hold accountable suppliers/manufacturers for bad business practices? If a business is allowed to post in the Marketplace (With no type of Better Business Bureau) then how can we help other members avoid these businesses that are apparently scamming our members? We deal with "Spammers" how about the "Scammers?"

I have lost money, time, and finally patience only with certain suppliers/manufacturers. The sad thing is I have seen others that have posted about the same suppliers/manufacturers and been rebuked or had to remove their posts because they shared a bad experience.

Can we not come to some sort of agreement to either hold accountable a supplier/manufacturer by sharing their track record? I have come to trust RAT on every other level accept this one. I view "Private sales" as a classified ad. But when I purchase something from a manufacturer/supplier who has posted here there should be some sort of accountability for them to protect the "Members" who have this same "Trust" in RAT.

Can we not come to some sort of agreement for return policies? I have seen the abuse here of items that are shipped from suppliers that are Smaller sizes then posted. Isn't it ironic that you never see a post that has said "They sent me a bigger size then posted?" I have been told that I have to keep the original shipment... and pay to have another one in the 'Correct" size. Doesn't is seem odd to any of us that this seems all too often to be the case? Shouldn't a business take back their so called "mistake..." and ship the right one? Its that way for every other "Business" i have dealt with in the world. But not with manufacturers of "Roman" products. At least not here. (I know this is not Ebay) However, we should be able to Trust any Manufacturer/supplier who is allowed to have "Free Advertising" here at the expense of the Members.

It would have saved me an entire years worth of frustration, Stress, time, patience and of course money with one manufacturer/supplier and over 6 months with another. But transactions have apparently gone defunct at my expense. I honestly don't want to see this happen to any of our other Members here who have come here with the trust and sincerity that I have had.

I will not post who they are or were. (It is currently against the rules). But what about protecting the interest of other members and the credibility of those who are practicing good businesses? TO me, if a Business is Posting or Advertising on RAT... then isn't that really an "Endorsement" from RAT that they are practicing "Good" business practices?

I expect to take critique for what I am posting... and that is okay... I have a thick skin when it comes to that. But I think it is High Time... to have some type of Accountability in order to list here if you are a manufacturer/supplier.

Does anyone else agree? I am just tired of seeing good honest people being taken advantage of by those who are abusing good business standards and using RAT as one of their main platforms. Where else are you going to advertise Roman stuff among Roman enthusiasts?

Thank you.
Patrick

Messages In This Thread
Accountability - by Patrick - 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Accountability - by Flavivs Aetivs - 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Accountability - by Epictetus - 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Accountability - by Patrick - 05-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Accountability - by Robert Vermaat - 05-07-2013, 04:39 AM
Accountability - by Marcellus - 05-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Accountability - by Patrick - 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Accountability - by Jay - 05-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Accountability - by Robert - 05-07-2013, 01:41 PM