Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forging Mainz Gladius
I have a request from a friend for several Mainz pattern gladii.

I'm a smith in N. Central Illinois, USA, and my personal interest is more in historical methods: my friend wants the gladius, I want to figure out how it was done.

I have, of course, been doing some digging and research and experiencing the frustrations of the few photographs of surviving samples and the like. (Why do they all insist on only photographing the *flat* of the blade?)

My goals are twofold: 1) come up with a reasonable idea of "authentic technique" and 2) reach a point where when another friend runs his bloom smelter I might go from bloom to blade. (Yes, I'm after "braggin' rights".)

What's holding me up at present is some confusion over cross section and longitudinal taper of the blade. From the  flats I can't tell what the cross section should be or if the blade tapers over the full length or just in the last few inches to the point. The two things, together, determine a great deal as to how hammers were plied and how I will. 

I note that there is one secondary source which I'm trying to track which indicates a lenticular cross-section. I note further that all the reproductions I have seen have a diamond cross section and seem to taper only in the last 4 inches or so to the point.

I would rather not accept what others have done without some connection to a primary or very reliable secondary source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Forging Mainz Gladius - by Timothy Park - 04-02-2016, 11:04 PM
RE: Forging Mainz Gladius - by Jim Bertagnolli - 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius from Mainz Rado 52 14,098 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Rado
  Mainz Type Gladius XorX 16 7,467 04-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Timothy Park
  Mainz gladius munazio planco 3 1,589 07-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Hephaest1on