Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for help and critique – Polybius Bk6
(11-18-2020, 01:49 AM)Steven James Wrote:
Mark wrote:
Following the election of the 2x Consuls for the year, the censor for the military levy first selects 24x Military Tribunes. The first 14x must have completed at least 5 years prior servic; and the next 10x have completed at least 10 years (I must admit I am somewhat puzzled why it's not either 12+12 or 16+8 as that would seem more logical to me).

So here we find this “numerical mystical linkage” in the works of Polybius, which shows that Polybius is on my side. So how do you explain this away Mark? Coincidence perhaps? I'm calling this check mate.

"Check Mate" Big Grin  - in what possible way?

Does Polybius mention anything about numerical ratios in his description of the organisation of the Roman Army?  Does anyone else?  In this re-interpretation, deducing somewhat different numbers to previous researchers descriptions; I see a singular structure designed for a specific tactical requirement and one, moreover, that lasts with only minor tweaks from this time until, quite possibly, Vegetius tries to reinvent it from a simple desire to uplift it to greater numbers!

No, the 14 + 10 wasn't entirely logical, until I stepped back and wondered why.  Then I realised I actually had the real-life experience myself that could be applied that made a simple answer the most likely one.  That this is simply the result of managing a hierarchical and experiential military structure!

24x Tribunes are required for 4x Legions - which is 6x each; for completely obvious reasons given the 60 sub-units they have to direct.  The need is to both grow and manage the experience you need, which would lead, indeed, to a simple requirement for 12x Senior and the 12x Junior to eventually replace them.  However, there will be 'wastage', at the very least through death (on or off the battlefield) and possibly long-term of temporary illness or injury.  The number of Juniors is therefore increased to 14x and thus the number of Seniors subsequently decreased to 10x.  That should certainly be a sufficient ratio (numbers of 'spare' Juniors) given the even larger pool of Decurions and Centurions from which to draw replacements for additional Juniors lost.

.....And with the 'King' having once escaped the imagined bonds - I'd really appreciate if anyone else would like to chime in with a 'that's not an unreasonable reinterpretation' - or a 'nope, it's wrong for this reason.....'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Request for help and critique – Polybius Bk6 - by Mark Hygate - 11-21-2020, 05:04 PM