Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spears from the Imperium Romanum
There are many great publications of Germanic, British, and Celtic spears. Are there any published spears from the imperium Romanum, especially the eastern half? Or from pre-imperial Italy? My copy of the report from Dura Europos is not with me.

If you want the bibliography for pre-Roman barbaricum:

Germanic: I don't know the best publications of Nydam and Hjortspring

Celtic:
Rapin, Gournay II (my copy is in the post)

British:
Michael Parker Pearson, N. Field (eds.), Fiskerton: Iron Age Timber Causeway with Iron Age and Roman Votive Offerings (2003)

Green, H. Stephen. (1978). "Late Bronze Age wooden hafts from Llyn Fawr and Penwyllt, and a review of the evidence for the selection of wood for tool and weapon handles in Neolithic and Bronze Age Britain and Ireland." Bull. Board Celtic Stud. Vol. 28, pp. 136-141.

Stead, Ian M. (1991) Iron Age Cemeteries in East Yorkshire: Excavations at Burton Fleming, Rudston, Garton-on-the-Wolds, and Kirkburn. English Heritage Archaeological Report, 22 (London: English Heritage in association with British Museum Press) ISBN 1-85074-351-7

Paul R. Sealey, East Anglian Archaeology 118: A Late Iron Age Warrior Burial from Kelvedon, Essex (2007)

Stuart Needham, Christopher Bronk Ramsey, David Coombs, Caroline Cartwright, and Paul Pettitt (1997) "An Independent Chronology for British Bronze Age Metalwork: The Results of the Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Programme," Archaeological Journal, 154:1, pp. 55-107, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00665983.1997.11078784

J. M. Coles, S. V. E. Heal and B. J. Orme, "The Use and Character of Wood in Prehistoric Britain and Ireland" Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society, Volume 44, (December 1978), pp 1 - 45 http://journals.cambridge.org/abstract_S...7X00009968
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Spears from the Imperium Romanum - by Sean Manning - 01-21-2022, 07:59 PM