Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE COUNT OF THE SAXON SHORE
Most of the Colchester reports are available online, I've highlighted the CAR reports here which contain the military finds.

On Walton Castle there is a blog here showing the proposed extent of the fortifications, there has been quite a lot written about this by local arch societys as far as I can remember...

I've visited all the sites along this area of coast on frequent occasions although this was many years ago now, and they are well situated, as you can see for many miles covering the entire extent of the waterways in the region, plus theres no way in roman times to travel along this part of the coast without a boat, with any speed...

EG: from Colchester to Bradwell/Athona is about 35 miles (from memory) by a very circuitous route.

You could say without the forts the area is indefensible.

Theres also "City of Victory" by P. Crummy 1997 which I would recommend it includes the highlights and many artists reconstructions of the town.

My signature refers to Athona (Othona), specifically "St Peters on the Wall" a 6th/7th century Anglo Saxon church built on the foundations of the inland wall of the fort, from an article on the Saxon Shore forts ...

"On the Castra of Littus Saxonicum, and particularly the castrum of Othona" by Thomas lewin 1867 Archaeologia.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
THE COUNT OF THE SAXON SHORE - by Lothia - 12-29-2023, 01:20 AM
RE: THE COUNT OF THE SAXON SHORE - by Lothia - 01-15-2024, 11:01 PM
RE: THE COUNT OF THE SAXON SHORE - by Crispianus - 01-21-2024, 01:43 AM
RE: THE COUNT OF THE SAXON SHORE - by Nathan Ross - 01-21-2024, 10:53 AM
RE: THE COUNT OF THE SAXON SHORE - by Crispianus - 02-01-2024, 09:30 AM
RE: THE COUNT OF THE SAXON SHORE - by Crispianus - 02-02-2024, 09:30 AM