Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What If?..
Our modern society is arguably just as bloodthirsty in its choice of entertainment as the Romans........you will see more killing, blood and gore ( and often in slow-motion and close-up!! ) in the average Action Movie, than a Roman saw in an afternoon at the Coloseum....... Confusedhock:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Our modern society is arguably just as bloodthirsty in its choice of entertainment as the Romans........you will see more killing, blood and gore ( and often in slow-motion and close-up!! ) in the average Action Movie, than a Roman saw in an afternoon at the Coloseum....... Confusedhock:

Well said!
And then there's the Ultimate Fighting Championship...admittedly, not the free for all, semi-pankration it was in the 90s but still pretty brutal. And people eat it up.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:What if Rome was still around, or Alexander conquered ancient china, even the warld?

If Rome was still around, I'd be a legionaire. Simple as that.

Sometimes I think I was born a few centuries too late.
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Quote:
DanM:4q8ale7u Wrote:What if Rome was still around, or Alexander conquered ancient china, even the warld?

Or two millenia Big Grin
Quote:
DanM:2i9jhn6p Wrote:What if Rome was still around, or Alexander conquered ancient china, even the warld?

Or two millenia Big Grin

Not that many years ago, I could simply have gone off to sea. Only requirement was the willingness to do some hard work. Now you need an education, and with laws being what they are here in Norway, it's cheaper to hire a foreign sailor than hire a Norwegian. :/ Oh well...
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Quote:Our modern society is arguably just as bloodthirsty in its choice of entertainment as the Romans........you will see more killing, blood and gore ( and often in slow-motion and close-up!! ) in the average Action Movie, than a Roman saw in an afternoon at the Coloseum....... Confusedhock:

I don't know if that's exactly true.. Most people like to watch that shit because they can decieve themselves by saying it's all fake. If confronted with the real deal most shy away instead of calling for more. I guess life today is not that hard or cheap as it was back then.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Personally, I do not think we have changed in that regard. Beneath the veneer and façade of modern society, I believe that most are just as likely to commit, or observe violence as our ancestors. Without modern constraints and law enforcement I believe many of us would be more violent in daily life than we are.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote: I guess life today is not that hard or cheap as it was back then.

Try living on a sink estate in the UK for a couple of years, you may change your views about that. Sad
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:2y9yt7ja Wrote:I guess life today is not that hard or cheap as it was back then.
Try living on a sink estate in the UK for a couple of years, you may change your views about that. Sad

Debt slavery? Slavery, period? Child mortality of 70%? Can a landlord have you flogged to death? Can just about any desease kill you? Are there barbarians just waiting to raid your town?
No doubt estates are rough, but not like it was during the industrial revolution, let alone how it was during Roman times, no.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: Are there barbarians just waiting to raid your town?

We call them "chavs".
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:13s1113k Wrote:Are there barbarians just waiting to raid your town?

We call them "chavs".

Damnit! I thought the exact same thing when I read that!
Quote:
Libitina:1yzh00ie Wrote:
Vortigern Studies:1yzh00ie Wrote:Are there barbarians just waiting to raid your town?

We call them "chavs".

Damnit! I thought the exact same thing when I read that!

Ah, great minds and all that Big Grin
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:
Memmia:vushzs6b Wrote:
Vortigern Studies:vushzs6b Wrote:I guess life today is not that hard or cheap as it was back then.

Debt slavery? Slavery, period? Child mortality of 70%? Can a landlord have you flogged to death? Can just about any desease kill you? Are there barbarians just waiting to raid your town?
No doubt estates are rough, but not like it was during the industrial revolution, let alone how it was during Roman times, no.

No, today we just have:

Kids gunned down over petty matters, a friend of mine was gunned down years ago over owing someone a pittance, I'll never accept that as long as I live. We all know of many other tragic incidents on the news. Where we see how cheap life can be.
A severe drug and drink problem- kids as young as 6 in casualty through intoxication. Thousands unable to work due to drink or drug related illness.
Up to 70% of kids on estates with a very bleak future, many destined to end up in jail, become prostitutes or end up dead.
Kids aged as young as 5 years old committing suicide or being anorexic due to low self esteem.
Pets stolen as bait for dog fighters- bloodsport is still alive and well- (we got the *******who stole our dog though).
Single mothers aged 13 or even younger.
Scores of people, and more recently newborn babies dying of superbugs in hospital.
AIDS
Mass genocide of civilians with the help of sophisticated weapons- in Europe too, not just Third World countries.
Scores of young girls in Europe forced into prostitution.
Obesity and heart disease on a mass scale- malnutrition on the flip side.
As for barbarians, well apart from those within who make it so that most of us in the UK are too scared to leave our homes at night, for very real reasons, not just moral panic, there are also the threats and incidents of terrorism.
I could go on.....

In fact, I bet a Roman, if shown the future, would shudder. Just as we shudder at their ills.

Maybe the only thing that has changed is our perceptions of certain things. Romans would probably be numbed to and accept certain things that we would find abhorrant, and vice versa.

A case of same drink, different shaped bottle

Or maybe I have just had a more horrible life than most on here :wink:
I'll leave it now before it turns political. :wink: Big Grin
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Good grief Jo! - Move house mate!