Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Hello, Mattia! Welcome to RAT.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Welcome! It sounds like you are busy .....
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Welcome to RAT, Mattia
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hello all.

I'm new to RAT. I've always been interested in Roman military history and recently found this site. I'll probably lurk more than post, but I'm glad to have stumbled across this website. It's been 20+ years since college, but I'd say that's where my casual interest was really transformed by some great professors. While my BA is in history, I went on to another discipline for my graduate education, but I've always maintained the interest in Roman military history.

Cheers

Tony
Welcome Tony!
Hello everyone,

I am Tom, although my username is Scipi (which in itself is a nickname my friends started calling me about a year back). I'm from Maryland, in the US.

I don't know exactly when I started gaining interest in Rome, but I know it was a smoldering interest fueled by some of the games and movies set in the period. Though it was recently kindled into a passion a few years back when I became exposed to the Punic Wars and the Roman Republican Era.

I've recently been looking more and more into reenacting and so while researching equipment and information on unit types I wish to recreate, I find myself here time and time again. So I figured it was high time I made an account and join the community here.

Like I mentioned above, I hope to get into reenacting. Although, I've only just begun in this venture and nothing I have constructed would I consider historically accurate enough for the purpose. Save for a half completed Aspis shield. Tongue
Beyond that, due to my strong interest in the period I am strongly considering minoring in either Archaeology or History. (The only reason I haven't made a decision on this yet, is because it's an odd combination with my being a Computer Science major, with Mathematics as a potential dual major.)
Salve Tom! There is a long standing reenactment group. Legio XX in the DC area, led by Matt Amt. Our next event is the Virginia Junior Classical League convention in Richmond the weekend before Thanksgiving. Though we just had our last fabrica befor VJCL, we do have them periodically.

Oh, and like every reenactment group bar none, we have spare kit to loan.

Richmond is expenses paid, btw, unusual for reenactments.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Legio XX is a great bunch, and they often hang out with Legio IX Hispana.

I'm sure Matt Amt can help you with that Republican impression 8+)
Greetings All,

I am an undergraduate at LSU completing my degree in History, and then hopefully moving on to graduate studies in Library Sciences/Archivist. I am primarily interested in the Germanic Iron Age and Medieval period, but I have found my interest in Rome growing more recently. I've done some reenacting, primarily Viking/Norman, but I really don't have time for it these days. I am primarily a collector, specifically of custom swords. I love seeing good reproductions of historical artifacts, which is the main reason I am here.
Hi all,

I am Marc from the Netherlands and this summer me and some friends a planning to join a Roman reenactment group. I already have some reenactment experience from ww2 but i am a total noob at Roman reenactment. I joinend this forum to extend my knowledge about the Roman army/life.

Cheers!
Marc Beermann
Welcome to the board. I messaged you.
Hi guys i have been on here for a while but never realized we had this topic. Lol. But im here as a learner and hope to get some enlightenment from our combined knowledge and wisdom. I am from vandalia ohio usa. I have seen 33 countries and have been in the us army. Now i do medieval reenacting and some elizabethan times stuff too. I have been into history from greece and rome for a long time. Thanks mostly to my dad, may he rest in peace. But i am looking forward to new friends and sharing what i know of the world.
welcome all, and Marc hope 2 c u 2 soon .
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:I am Marc from the Netherlands and this summer me and some friends a planning to join a Roman reenactment group. I already have some reenactment experience from ww2 but i am a total noob at Roman reenactment. I joinend this forum to extend my knowledge about the Roman army/life.
Welkom!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello everybody,

I will be joining the legion at Deva soon as a Recruit, and hope to learn and understand what we know about life as a Roman soldier. And what better way to start than on this forum.

Thanks
Kieran