Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who makes Artillery ??
How is the weight so far? Pretty heavy?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Not that much, actually (the full sized scorpio is a beast, however!). I have to weigh this machine once the woodwork is completed, and then the finished weight when I have it fully completed. It is very handy too…really well balanced. The additional weight from the various frame components will be offset by the belly rest, trigger, etc.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Len Morgan http://www.romanarmy.net/fabrica.htm

Tom Feeley at romanarmy365

Also Alan Wilkins, he's probably the most informed and researched expert on Greek and Roman artillery.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
I'm interested in the kind of trigger/latch you use. Any pictures appreciated.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
If you have seen some of the various reconstructed seige engines floating around, it is pretty universal how people are making the trigger assemblies. Basically, a metal pawl that hooks into the bow string, with a trigger that you pull back to releast the pawl up, thereby firing the machine. I don't expect to try pioneering a new kind of trigger assembly. I think these ideas date back to Schramm's (spelling?) work, perhaps.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Quote:... the wood framed manuballista / scorpio minor (still not sure what to call the thing).
What you have there, frater -- and very nice it is, too! -- is a Hellenistic-style catapulta. Livy would've called it a scorpio, probably. (Definitely not a ballista of any description -- different construction.)
This is the machine that Sulla would've used at Piraeus in 87 BC and Pompey at Jerusalem in 63 BC. Very nice!

The distinctive features are the twin inner stanchions which grip the stock. The later Roman-style catapulta that Caesar would've used (as described by Vitruvius) had a single, solid "middle" stanchion.

By the way, what diameter of spring-hole are you using?

I'm green with envy. (We really need more emoticons, Jasper! :mrgreen: )
(I am what we call in Scotland "handless", which means that my woodworking skills are non-existent.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
George Metz from Leg XXIV has a pretty neat trigger on his Engine O' Terror, I believe you can find pictures of it on his website. ( www.legionxxiv.org )
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Salve, or how is it said in roman way and greetings from Finland!

I joined this forum just yesterday and this is my opening message. First I would like to ask about what do the actual re-enactors think of my small catapulta( I don't know how to put pictures in but I'll try)

[url:2npjxyky]http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_1021/[/url]
[Image: 008666.jpg]

I am also working on a manuballista and a larger scorpion-style(Vitruvian) arrow shooter, about 70% finished. Notice that I am only 18 years of age but I have still made many working artillery pieces(this one can shoot up to150 meters, not very powerful). Would a real roman re-enactment group be glad if they could have my artillery pieces as a part of their group if I was a member (although I don't know any re-enactment groups from Finland and I think there aren't any)?
Juuso Laasonen
Quote:George Metz from Leg XXIV ... ( www.legionxxiv.org )
Fascinating web site. Thanks for the link, Andy.

(The trigger is on this page -- and scroll down.)

Quote:what do the actual re-enactors think of my small catapulta
I'm always impressed by anyone with woodworking skills! Smile
Quote:
AuxArcher:3mf44dza Wrote:... the wood framed manuballista / scorpio minor (still not sure what to call the thing).
What you have there, frater -- and very nice it is, too! -- is a Hellenistic-style catapulta. Livy would've called it a scorpio, probably. (Definitely not a ballista of any description -- different construction.)
This is the machine that Sulla would've used at Piraeus in 87 BC and Pompey at Jerusalem in 63 BC. Very nice!

The distinctive features are the twin inner stanchions which grip the stock. The later Roman-style catapulta that Caesar would've used (as described by Vitruvius) had a single, solid "middle" stanchion.

By the way, what diameter of spring-hole are you using?

I'm green with envy. (We really need more emoticons, Jasper! :mrgreen: )
(I am what we call in Scotland "handless", which means that my woodworking skills are non-existent.)

Thanks so much, DB! Your words are appreciated. And your book on Greek and Roman artillary is a prime source for me as I continue this madness.

The holes are 1 3/8". That was the closest forstner bit to the size of the hole I wanted. I will probably enlarge the holes a bit more as I fit in the yet-to-be-cast washers.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Quote:Salve, or how is it said in roman way and greetings from Finland!

I joined this forum just yesterday and this is my opening message. First I would like to ask about what do the actual re-enactors think of my small catapulta( I don't know how to put pictures in but I'll try)

[Image: malli_1021]
[Image: 008666.jpg]

I am also working on a manuballista and a larger scorpion-style(Vitruvian) arrow shooter, about 70% finished. Notice that I am only 18 years of age but I have still made many working artillery pieces(this one can shoot up to150 meters, not very powerful). Would a real roman re-enactment group be glad if they could have my artillery pieces as a part of their group if I was a member (although I don't know any re-enactment groups from Finland and I think there aren't any)?

You're doing a great job on your scorpion there. And maybe you should start a Roman group there in Finland. That is a country I have always wanted to visit, by the way.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Quote:George Metz from Leg XXIV has a pretty neat trigger on his Engine O' Terror, I believe you can find pictures of it on his website. ( www.legionxxiv.org )

George kindly mailed me his trigger and ratchet plans, and thus, that is what I am using as a point of departure for my own trigger assembly. The metalwork is the hardest part for me. But, where there is a will, as they say. Smile
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Quote: I joined this forum just yesterday and this is my opening message.
Hallo Juuso,
Welcome to RAT. Could you please add your real name to your signature= it´s a forum rule.

Quote: First I would like to ask about what do the actual re-enactors think of my small catapulta( I don't know how to put pictures in but I'll try)
I think it looks great!!!! Confusedhock:
(I altered your link a bit / you treated it as an image instead of a url [url][/url])

Quote: Would a real roman re-enactment group be glad if they could have my artillery pieces as a part of their group if I was a member (although I don't know any re-enactment groups from Finland and I think there aren't any)?
We would love to own a good piece of artillery!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:George kindly mailed me his trigger and ratchet plans
That's the kind of info I'll need when I make one.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:... your book on Greek and Roman artillary is a prime source for me as I continue this madness.

Glad it's proving useful!

Quote:The holes are 1 3/8". That was the closest forstner bit to the size of the hole I wanted. I will probably enlarge the holes a bit more as I fit in the yet-to-be-cast washers.
Aha -- so it's just a baby! I didn't notice the pen in your photo, giving an idea of scale.

As it's roughly the size of the Xanten machine (which has a Vitruvian solid "middle" stanchion, of course), I'll be interested to hear exactly how portable it is!
I have my suspicions that you'd need a back and shoulders like a barn door to effectively wield the Xanten catapult. Much more comfortable on a stand. :wink:

(The small machine from Ephyra would've been built like yours, only a bit smaller: 1¼" spring-holes. It probably was for hand-held use.)