Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this forum still dedicated to the ROMAN Army???
Forgive me, there just seems to be a lot of un-asked for support for the Parthian empire here.<br>
<br>
Debates are what we encourage here, but puh-lease, this is <strong>ROMAN ARMY TALK</strong>.<br>
<br>
The parthian army didn't stand a chance against the Romans, and that's the bottom line cuz Magnus says so.<br>
<br>
Anyone that thinks differently can present their army on any chosen field of battle, anywhere, anytime, being the highly motivated and disciplined army we are, the legions will march to the call of battle! <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
However, since tha Parthian empire is very rich and we are bur poor milites, we are quite willing to accept a bribe and go away. Please make the bribe a big one or you'll regret it. <p></p><i></i>
<br>
<br>
Gee, thanks John.... <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Hi<br>
are you really upset or just pretending?<br>
<br>
I am extremely dedicated to my old time admiration of the roman army and western culture: i.e. no risk of being sidetracked. And yet I always found the eastern front extremely interesting because it was a trouble theater for 600 years! To understand what went wrong with the roman army and policy you need to know semething about the enemy. I truely believe the roman were superior but still they got their butts kicked and in non trivial ways!<br>
I encourage further discussion on parthians, sassanians as well as germans, goths. And, I was forgetting, the nice celts. It is the best way to understand the romans and their army because the army was not an abstract entity created in an office but it was the result of confronting concrete enemies. But of course you know this all too well.<br>
<br>
Maybe we could open another container ROME'S ENEMIES,<br>
but I actually prefer the present HISTORICAL container as there should be a flow of information and not stagnation due to each staying in his own warm pond.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Apparantly this only discussion allowed here is about Romans<br>
A healthy discussion regarding their enemies is not allowed.<br>
<br>
<br>
i hope that this is a wrong conclusion because else i will leave this place!!!!!<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pelgr003>pelgr003</A> at: 3/14/03 9:17:28 am<br></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Jeroen,<br>
<br>
Just because young Magnus can't play nice right now, and is venting his spleen doesn't mean you should get upset. apparently some of the rest of us enjoy the debates just fine!<br>
as for bribes, we unemployed workers of the world could use the money ( to fund reenactment, if not to pay the rent! ) <p></p><i></i>
well, maybe i was a little bit over the top but i think i made my point. If you don't like a certain thread, don't join in!<br>
<br>
Everyone has the right to his own oppinion. I don't say that mine is the only right one. I have certain ideas about Romans and their enemies. The main reason i joined RAT is that you can discuss your ideas with equalminded persons. In my personal life, i can't do that. Sometimes the discussions can get a bit overheated but i think we all have to respect that some persons have a diffrent oppinion.<br>
<br>
as always, <strong>respect</strong> is the main word.<br>
<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen<br>
<p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Jeroen, I didn't realize I had offended you to such an extent. At what point did I show any <strong>disrespect</strong> to you, to use your word?<br>
<br>
Of course I am not really angry, if you take into account my first 2 statements on this thread then yes, I could see why you would interpret them as being hostile:<br>
<br>
<em>Forgive me, there just seems to be a lot of un-asked for support for the Parthian empire here.<br>
<br>
Debates are what we encourage here, but puh-lease, this is ROMAN ARMY TALK.</em><br>
<br>
The last couple recent threads have seen a lot of support for the Parthian Army, Jeroen, you should know, because you defended the Romans, and bravo for that.<br>
<br>
However, if you took the time to read the entire post, I would hope you could see I was indeed joking around (as goffedo had asked):<br>
<br>
<em>The parthian army didn't stand a chance against the Romans, and that's the bottom line cuz Magnus says so.<br>
<br>
Anyone that thinks differently can present their army on any chosen field of battle, anywhere, anytime, being the highly motivated and disciplined army we are, the legions will march to the call of battle!</em><br>
<br>
"Cuz Magnus says so...." Who am I???? LOL...I would have thought for sure someone would have seen the paralell with Stone Cold Steve Austin...but I guess the WWE isn't so big in Europe perhaps?<br>
<br>
Those two statements were so rediculous, I never contemplated the possibility that someone would take me so seriously. <br>
<br>
As Gaius pointed out, I was simply venting in a fun manner, and if someone doesn't like it, as you said Jeroen, don't join the thread, right?<br>
<br>
To get back to my original point, the whole thread that started this debacle, was the "Parthian vs Roman Military Model" one, in Military History...you guys all know it, because everyone that posted here in OT has been following it and adding to it. I am sorry, but walking into Roman Army Talk and saying the Parthian Army is superior, is like walking into a room full of Canadians, and telling them they suck at hockey. Understand? I have already stated that debates are more than welcome here, heck heated discussions (Remember Dan VS Sander?) are welcome as well. But let's show some support for our boys in the tunics eh?<br>
<br>
<strong>NOW LET'S GO KICK SOME PARTHIAN BUTT!!!!</strong> <br>
<br>
(hope that wasn't too aggressive ) <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tiberiuslantaniusmagnus@romanarmytalk>tiberius lantanius magnus</A> at: 3/14/03 3:58:22 pm<br></i>
Ok guys, if you want to read something REALLY funny, check out the last paragraph on my legion history page...<br>
<br>
[url=http://www.geocities.com/legio_xxx/legiohistory.htm" target="top]www.geocities.com/legio_xxx/legiohistory.htm[/url]<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Now that's rubbing salt in the wound.... <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
magnus,<br>
<br>
sorry for the ranting. Guess i was a little to serious.<br>
Just had a bad day at work....<br>
<br>
i apologize, i was wrong.<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
We are Romans, resistance is futile.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pelgr003>pelgr003</A> at: 3/14/03 4:30:49 pm<br></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I suggest the creation of a new topic called The Office of the Barbarians, like in the Eastern Empire, where the ways and the tactics of Rome's enemies could be discussed instead of being all over the place.. <p></p><i></i>
I don't want to rub more salt in the wound (or do I?), but I think it's been pointed out before that Batavia is present day Djakarta, Indonesia. Batavodurum, which you probably mean, is in present day Nijmegen. The good people in our capital may think the Netherlands begin and end in Amsterdam, but the other 15 million of us tend to disagree. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Nah, it's all good man<br>
<br>
Thanks Jasper... <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Salve,<br>
<br>
If the Canadians suck at hockey they should change the make-up of their hockey team according the Parthian manner: mount them on horses and learn to shoot the puck at the goal as they turn their mounts to gallop away ('Canadian release').<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Parthians? Who are the Parthians? Long lost in the sands of time...<br>
<br>
Give me an army of Sassanids, now that would be something!<br>
<br>
<br>
Arbogast the Frank (aka Vortigern)<br>
'Francus ego cives, Romanus miles in armis'<br>
[url=http://'www.fectio.org.uk" target="top]My website[/url]<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 3/15/03 12:36:06 am<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dedicated scholars Jona Lendering 3 1,407 06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Medieval Army forum? Dagann 4 1,678 12-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Last Post: Dagann
  A Website dedicated to Reconstructions by Reenactors? Anonymous 3 2,005 07-21-2002, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius