Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurovision Song Contest
So, it's something like American Idol? I truly mean no offence to RATers in Europe, but the context makes it sound much like it. Although if Lordi was on it then that's a redeeming quality in itself Smile
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:So, it's something like American Idol? I truly mean no offence to RATers in Europe, but the context makes it sound much like it. Although if Lordi was on it then that's a redeeming quality in itself

Oh it's miles better than American Idol/X-Factor/Pop Idol and all that rubbish! None of those irritating "I've got a terrible sob-story so I should win" things going on either Big Grin

Lordi were fantastic. I'd heard of them before Eurovision but not only did they have a "gimmick" but the song was actually good too. Cheesy, but good! Even my Dad caught them on TV at the time and went to call me to let me know some of my "friends" were on Eurovision :? Plus I made profit cos I bet on them to win.

In the UK some people even have Eurovision parties with European food, give their votes for who they liked etc. I don't go that far but I do have to write notes on each entry so I remember who they are eg last night I had Russia - whining bloke in white, Poland - fake urgh blaah woman, San Marino - poor mans Muse, Belgium - Campino girl, Andorra - big hair armour dress and Slovenia - lady, strips, chains :lol:
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Watched the first semi final last night. What a strange mix of the bizarre and downright boring!

True,true there was alot of weird stuff.Still we cant judge ,i mean we sent a sock puppet to represent us! Oh the indignity!

ps. sorry bout the above quote im not very computer orientated and cant quote something :oops: :oops:
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Quote:Watched the first semi final last night. What a strange mix of the bizarre and downright boring!

True,true there was alot of weird stuff.Still we cant judge ,i mean we sent a sock puppet to represent us! Oh the indignity!

ps. sorry bout the above quote im not very computer orientated and cant quote something :oops: :oops:

Yes the puppet was... ummm.. different! :lol: I'm still waiting for you guys to enter "My Lovely Horse"..

"My lovely horse I want to hold you so tight, I want to rub my fingers through your tail and... love you all night"

It still makes me crack up when I think of Father Ted going "just play the f**king note" Big Grin

Oh, the quote thing. You can either click on quote on the top right of a post to quote the whole lot or there's a quote option when actually typing a message next to the bold, italic, underlined bit.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Just a question: what would be the Roman equivalent of camp? (Petronius?)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well I always take it very seriously Smile and this year it is over three nights here in Australia (Friday Saturday and Sunday night - some may say that is a tragic way to spend the weekend. I say what better way is there?)! Actually my favourite recently was Wigwam (I still go around singing 'Come on, come on, come on! Love is all over me ...' fantastic stuff. I think they were Norwegian)

The only time I did any gambling in the UK was when I put 5 pounds on 'No Dream Impossible' to win in 2001 - it did dismally but what a great song (I even embarassed myself demanding the CD single of that at the Virgin Megastore in Picadilly Circus) - and all this from a New Zealander.

Ah Eurovision - I think I got hooked with Bucks Fizz in the early 80s - glory days if you ask me.

Now I'm off to listen to the complete operas of Bellini for a course I'm teaching (I kid you not!), next week is Il Pirata and La Straniera.

Isn't it true that Ireland are trying not to win it for a while since to host it means a great financial loss?

And did anyone see the Franco against Cliff Richard conspiracy (to ensure 'Congratulations' did not win in the 60s but a Spanish song imaginatively titled la la la (IIRC) won instead. The politics of Eurovision are actually quite intriguing.

Enough from me.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
thanks Libitina,cant believe i missed that quote symbol :roll: :roll:
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.

Vote Sweden! Smile
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Either France or Turkey should have won that! :evil:

We voted for Azerbaijan too though (the angels and devils), purely for it's hilarity! :lol: :lol:
That guy makes Matthew Bellamy (Muse) sound baritone!
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:Nom d'un chien!...les francais n'aimez pas que l'entree de France est chantez en anglais !! (pardonnez ma francaise tres pauvre)

Plus ca change....mais plus ca meme chose !!! :lol: :lol:

It was a shock to hear the French entry en Anglais. Not surprised it didn't go down well . Good publicity stunt though :lol:
Maybe if the UK sang in French it might make our usually mundane entries sound better. Although next year we could get an immigrant Eastern European to represent Britain- that'd cause a bit of a dilemma.
Friends of Letocetum
jeez did anyone see that brother/sister combo from armenia,i think,god that was totally weird!!At least we all know that the finns will be using a lordi theme for decades to come Big Grin D

I thought Russia's winning entry sounded a bit familiar....

Russia 'Believe'

Wild wild world

I'm not the only one to have noticed this according to comments posted too..
Naughty...naughty!!! :evil:
Friends of Letocetum
The songs on Eurovision ALWAYS sound 'familiar'...... :lol: :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The songs on Eurovision ALWAYS sound 'familiar'...... :lol: :roll:

Not usually such blatant rip offs though, they were originally going to rip off the B side tune called 'my lovely horse', but they heard someone humming it in the lift before they went onstage :wink:
Friends of Letocetum
I happened to be channel hopping when the Russian entry started. First I noticed the violinist didn't seem to be playing the tune that was actually playing. Then the blonde bloke started roller skating in circles while gay-dad dancing.

Confusedhock: Unbelievable. Even Wogan's thinking of packing it in.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!