Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turned Aspis Project in Progress
As far as I can tell, the serious information on Greek shields is mostly published in Greek and German, such as the PhD thesis summarized in Hoplites at War. The one exception is Philip Henry Blyth's report on the shield in the Museo Gregoriano Etruscano:

Blyth "The Structure of a Hoplite Shield in the Museo Gregoriano Etruscano" p. 12: "Where the original surface of the timber can be seen, it is mostly smooth, but at one point (near the left hand end of the largest fragment in fig. 3) there are circumferential scratches along the inside wall of the bowl. These would be consistent with the use of a lathe, as is suggested by the comic compound in Aristophanes τορνευτο λυρασπιδο πηγός. Alternatively, perhaps, the shield could have been formed by a rotating tool, pivoting at the centre." On the next page he says that there are marks consistent with turning on a shield cover from Olympia.

But I don't know if anyone who practices ancient woodworking techniques has looked closely at the surviving shields, and trained eyes are important. People in the ancient Aegean worked wood very differently than is common in rich countries today.

If you want the full citation to Blyth's article, check publications by Peter Krentz; the Vatican Museum has it in their web shop.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - by Chris B - 05-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - by Kineas - 06-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - by Kineas - 06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
turned aspis - by The Spinner - 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
print - by The Spinner - 06-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Turned Aspis project - by Paullus Scipio - 06-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Re: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - by Magnus - 03-12-2009, 02:27 AM
RE: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - by Feinman - 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM
RE: Turned Aspis Project in Progress - by Sean Manning - 08-15-2017, 09:49 AM