Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness 1958 with Ingrid Bergman
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:That's the one with Thomas Jane right Jim? I was curious about that movie...
Yeah Matt, that's the one.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
enjoyed watching The Happening recently and watched Day's of Glory the other night about the Algerian troops in the Free French Army during WW2, both are worth watching.

Count Theo/Darren Smile
The last I saw in full was RotS.

Last I saw in fragments(I jumped around in it this morning to catch the gist of it) was Prophecy. Mutated grizzly in Maine? Cool. Wink
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
At the Theatre:

Spike Lee's new film - Miracle At St. Anna

Not a bad film (which is akin to damning with faint praise) but as with many of his films it is a mixed bag.

Lee has an eye for good casting and an ability to elicit strong performances from his cast -- he does so again here. With the exception of the German characters (typical stereotypes) the acting is excellent.

The story...well that's another story.

No new ground is broken here (see the The Black Brigade or A Soldier's Story for example). This is not a landmark film, but rather a standard issue Hollywood WWII film. The opening is strong, giving it a hint of mystery, and there are bits of magic, the kind we have all encountered at some point in our lives and which make the film seem all the more real. However much is ham handed, obvious, and manipulative. Lee, much like Spielberg, seems not to trust his own visual eloquence. He feels the need to announce what we are about to see, show it to us, and then tell us again just in case we missed it. Spielberg did the same thing in Saving Pvt Ryan, and like that film, the conclusion here is obvious.

Both directors have a strong visual sense and style but they need to trust it and to trust us to understand what we see.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Religulous, the documentary, well a comedic documentary on Religion by Bill Maher and the director of BORAT.

Hilarious...and wow...presents an interesting outlook on all religions.

Legion: TBD
we watched Entrapment the other night. it was only the second time i'd seen it.. (first time was when it was new lol) and i still like it. was actually nice to see an entire movie and not see any blood and guts for a change.. :lol:
Saw Amsterdamned and De Lift havent seen them in a long time. one of my favourite movie quotes :
Vermeer: What do you think she meant when she said a huge black monster with giant claws?
Visser: I don't know, but I hope your mother-in-law has an alibi.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
At the theatre:

Oliver Stone's new film "W"

Some amusing bits, but nothing really new if you have been paying any attention at all to events of the last eight years. Even so a great performance by Josh Brolin.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Aliens vs Predator: Requim
Travis A.
Saw V

Did not like the ending :x
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:Saw V

I never liked Saw to begin with. :lol:
Travis A.
Quote:
Libitina:bxhtmb92 Wrote:Saw V

What's not to like? Blood, gore, screaming, entrails... oh. I see :lol:
Kat x

Quote:
Spartan198:3fzj1aea Wrote:
Libitina:3fzj1aea Wrote:Saw V

It's not the content, I just didn't care for the plot.

No offense to anyone that likes the Saw movies. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. :o
Travis A.
Quote:
Libitina:vy278kf6 Wrote:
Spartan198:vy278kf6 Wrote:
Libitina:vy278kf6 Wrote:Saw V

It's not the content, I just didn't care for the plot.

No offense to anyone that likes the Saw movies. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. :o

Totally understand about different tastes.

I liked the end twist the first time round. I rewatched Saw 1 last weekend and obviously lost its impact and some of the acting was more horrific than the deaths :lol: After seeing 5 I expect they'll keep churning them out until they stop making money. On the upside at least some thought has gone into a plot unlike most recent slashers.
Kat x