Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. If you haven't seen the earlier installments, don't go. And to be honest, the actors are becoming too old and Rowling's world has no surprises left. Alan Rickman remains the one who makes the movie worthwile, but otherwise, I may be forgiven if I conclude that the magic is gone.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
also saw "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" - good movie.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
State of Play. Popcorn amusement: nothing shocking and nothing that makes you rethink your own beliefs - fine entertainment, nothing more or less. Very good acting, interesting story, plausible twists in the story line, but the conspiracy our journalists have to uncover is a bit over the top. Nevertheless worth a visit.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:... but otherwise, I may be forgiven if I conclude that the magic is gone.
You are forgiven, Jona. I quite agree with your analysis.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Also watched "Harry Potter" and liked it. :mrgreen:
Quote:
Jona Lendering:3ayoezzx Wrote:... but otherwise, I may be forgiven if I conclude that the magic is gone.
You are forgiven, Jona. I quite agree with your analysis.

I gave up on Harry Potter with the very first film when they cheated.

Cheated?

As you may remember,the various houses are engaged in a fierce competition to determine who will be the #1 house. Harry and his housemates forego much of the competition in order to battle and defeat the story's main villain (the name of which escapes me) and in so doing they lose the competition.

However... Deus ex Machina the Headmaster changes the rules, awards Harry and his house "bonus" points and they win.

Bah!

Harry and his mates should have lost, and the headmaster said to them that sometimes one must sacrifice the superficial for the greater good and take solace in the fact that sacrifice is often the only reward true leaders ever receive. For their sacrifice they have his thanks.

I know, I know. That was not the story JK was telling. Even so, I think she missed an opportunity.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
[url:1izu52vi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzpD6OogahQ[/url]

I´m Harry Potter, school is for loosers, I´m totally awesome... :mrgreen:

Well, after having read the books (I probably owe JKR 10% of all my english vocabulary, only after Aeroplane Monthly) no surprise at all. At least it´s the better film made yet. I still wonder what would have happened if Terry Gilliam had directed the first movie. Probably the invasion of England by inteligent giant lizards :roll:

PS: But they cheat twice, one to tie and another to win and make it appear as good earned, [Image: gryffindor.gif] stinks :roll:
And after the time shift of the third book/movie...who does bother? :|
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. If you haven't seen the earlier installments, don't go. And to be honest, the actors are becoming too old and Rowling's world has no surprises left. Alan Rickman remains the one who makes the movie worthwile, but otherwise, I may be forgiven if I conclude that the magic is gone.
Well, I'd say that if you've read the books, don't go but wait until it's on tv. It's not that Rowling's world has no surprises left, but the movie fails to show them. The book was simply too long and the unfolding plot too intricate. About 70% of the plot does not even make it to the screen, and the parts that do are sometimes twisted. I mean, Dumbledore is killed and a fierce battle follows - only it doesn't! Just harry hiding under the stairs. :evil:
It seems to be about the teenies getting in and out of love, with some wizardry inbetween. Those who'd want to see the battle between good and evil will be disappointed. Voldemort never makes an appearance, his dark forces who start killing normal people seem occcupied by pestering harry only, and the best scene in the book (Britain's PM being confronted by the wizards 'due to the extreme emergency') is never shown either.

I can only imagine that Rowling let her control of the production slip because she's tired of the whole thing. :evil:
As part X in the series I'd say it's not that bad.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I can only imagine that Rowling let her control of the production slip because she's tired of the whole thing.
That's a very grown-up people thing to say. What did the Pseudo-Comitatenses Fectienses Juniores think of it?
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:1rbfhh9u Wrote:I can only imagine that Rowling let her control of the production slip because she's tired of the whole thing.
That's a very grown-up people thing to say. What did the Pseudo-Comitatenses Fectienses Juniores think of it?

So far, the Iuniores have yet to see their first Harry Potter movie - my wife and I keep this stricktly too ourselves. Big Grin
We once had the pleasure (I think it was the third movie) to watch it in a medium large movie theatre (Vlissingen) with the entire theatre to ourselves. Brilliant.

We took the kids to Suske & Wiske though. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
At the Cinema: District 9

I enjoyed this film. Alien Nation meets The Fly meets Franz Kafka meets Black Like Me (without James Whitmore).

We are never certain exactly why the aliens came to Earth, but that is just as well for it helps to set up the sequel which is bound to follow if this has a decent run at the theatres and on Home Video (which it probably will).

It was good to see faces and hear voices outside of the Hollywood mainstream for a change.

Along with Moon, this is one of the more interesting and entertaining Sci-Fi films I have seen this year.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Men Who Hate Women (Män som hatar kvinnor). A strange movie with a ridiculous plot and implausible vilains; yet, good acting, a sympathetic hero and ditto heroine, great suspense, and some raw scenes that were better than usual Hollywood violence. Even though I could predict several twists, I bit all my nails.

Still, I do not know whether to recommend it; the 7.6/10 at IMDB is, in my view, a bit overrated.
Jona Lendering
My website
I just watched Dead Man again, probably the 5th or 6th time I've seen it. A very good movie, and since I don't want to spoil the plot I'll just say that it's definitely worth renting.
Public Enemies. It is beautiful, but you can not sympathize with the hero (a bank robber), nor understand his love affair. John Depp does his best, the sets are splendid, but somehow I continued to have the feeling I was watching a movie. I have seen better movies.
Jona Lendering
My website
Johnny Handsome. Sort of The Elephant Man seeks revenge on his criminal buddies. Interesting, and a little saddening, knowing that the underlying premise is more often true than not: Criminals rarely are reformed by the system.

Morgan Freeman gives a good performance, as usual.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.