Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
Quote:Just this soundtrack or do you hate Vangelis' music altogether?
This soundtrack especially; he should have avoided the faux Orff generator. (Poor Carl Orff, what musical crimes have been committed in your name!) And in general, directors ought to avoid putting music to battle scenes altogether. Showing violence is usually sufficient to get the people's attention.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jona wrote:
Quote:And in general, directors ought to avoid putting music to battle scenes altogether. Showing violence is usually sufficient to get the people's attention.

....it seems to have become fashionable ever since the 1944 version of Shakespeare's "Henry V", starring Sir Laurence Olivier. In that film, a number of scenes were set to just a musical soundtrack ( no other sound) including the charge of the French knighta at Agincourt. The music in that case ( and unusually) was very well done, having been composed by the famous composer Sir William Walton....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:I hate Oliver Stone.
I hate Robin Lane Fox.
I hate the movie.

You forgot to hate Colin Farrell Smile
Quote:You forgot to hate Colin Farrell Smile

I hate Colin Farrell and his surfer looking hair!

About Agora, the productor forbidded to contract anybody from Spain, itially spanish craftsmen who worked on Alatriste and Alexander was going to work in Agora, but finally they were discarted.

Iagoba, feel lucky Alejandro didn't choose you to do the movie, because in that production everyone had to pay it's own hotel, house, room, food, etc, etc. So almost everything was made by people contracted in Malta or rented from other movies.
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:the productor forbidded to contract anybody from Spain

Another reason lo love "Spanish cinema" :roll: The'll forgot that when the [Spanish] prizes come, I bet :evil:

Quote:So almost everything was made by people contracted in Malta or rented from other movies.

Seems that most of the legionary stuff was from Rome Confusedhock:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:30ssmfjz Wrote:Just this soundtrack or do you hate Vangelis' music altogether?
This soundtrack especially; he should have avoided the faux Orff generator. (Poor Carl Orff, what musical crimes have been committed in your name!) And in general, directors ought to avoid putting music to battle scenes altogether. Showing violence is usually sufficient to get the people's attention.

I must disagree and offer this clip from Akira Kurosawa's film Ran as argument. How Kurosawa uses music in counter point to the sounds of battle is most effective. I do take your point Jona, and in most cases might well agree. However... In the hands of a master, like Kurosawa, the use of music in a battle scene is nothing short of sublime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpINMj9oXH0

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Zombieland. It was better than I expected. I went because a lady fro my church made the ceramics used in the 'trading post' scene. She provided several copies of each, because of the several 'takes'. My best laughter was at the character of a very funny man, playing himself. The mindless violence and droll humor added to this amusing, non-historical time waster. :roll:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Dead Snow
[url:8zeiot9f]http://www.deadsnow.com/[/url]

"It´s Alive" re-make

Damnatus (Warhammer 40K movie)

Dying God

Bloody Valentine

Was my weekend´s list. Flu helps in working up the film lists...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I would like to ask you, has somebody gone to see any 3d movie? is that a good show? I really would like to see the next James Cameron's movie Avatar in a 3D cinema. Big Grin
Javier Sanchez

I saw Beowulf in 3D ("RealD") and had a good time. Didn't have any eye fatigue or strain.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
I saw bloody valentine in 3d and had a REALLY good time... Wink
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Beowulf and Coraline were both good in 3D, even if I can't get the full benefit of the effect since my unfortunate arrow/eye interface incident.

The trailer for Avatar looked more like a very slick game than a film...I'm not sure that that's a good thing.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:The trailer for Avatar looked more like a very slick game than a film...I'm not sure that that's a good thing.

That is true. it is plenty of very bright colours, so it makes the environment unrealistic for my taste. Anyway on a 3d screen must look really impressive. I feel curiosity about how can it be after 10 years developing that movie.
Javier Sanchez

Ah 3D...

Most of the recent 3D films I have seen are still playing the "Here, have a coke." jokes or the monster/creature/alien/(fill in the blank) slobbers/sneezes/vomits or otherwise spews some liquid at you. It is all very amusing but to what end.

Beowulf quickly fell to this level and with the exception of the Dragon flight (which was impressive looking) the 3D effects added nothing to the story and in no way made it any more meaningful.

Ask yourself how 3D would make Casablanca, or 2001, or Les Enfants duParadis, or the Seven Samurai any better than they already are...

Without a story that is well told all of this is meaningless window dressing.

And speaking of stories...

The report on KCRW (the Public Radio Station in LA) this Monday was that Fox has already spent over $500,000,000.00 on Avatar. That's right, half a Billion. Now Fox has already started denying this number and it may well be exaggerated, but given the long production time and the cost of hardware & software development needed to animate this film there seems little doubt that Avatar will be one of the most expensive films of all time. If the film Final Fantasy The Spirits Within is any indicator then Avatar probably did cost several hundreds of millions of dollars. Final Fantasy cost $137 million to make and total Box Office gross was $85 million -- Avatar seems like a far more ambitious film than Final Fantasy.

Given Hollywood's penchant for creative accounting we may never know the truth, but then in Hollywood truth is a relative term. After all, King Kong was only 12" tall.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:The report on KCRW (the Public Radio Station in LA) this Monday was that Fox has already spent over $500,000,000.00 on Avatar. That's right, half a Billion.

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

it makes me think how many peplums could have been done with this.... :mrgreen: Anyway, toys are ready to be sold, videogame too, so the making money machine will start working soon. I think they will earn quite much of half a billion dollars
Javier Sanchez