Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
On cable TV: The Lovely Bones

I liked the lead actress, but overall I was not impressed by this film in any regard. (I'm told the book is much better.)

The main problem, I believe, is the portrayal of the afterlife. How do you describe the indescribable?

Perhaps Eastwood will do better with his new film, Hereafter.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
The Red Baron. This film is dead on accurate history. On three things. There was a WW I. There was a von Richthoffen. Airplanes have a thing on front that goes round and round. All the rest of this mess is forgetable. I want my money back.

Ralph
the non-red non-baron
I have finally seen "Red Cliff" (albiet the shortened version). Life is good. Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:I have finally seen "Red Cliff" (albiet the shortened version). Life is good

that's a nice one.

Saw "The Fabulous World of Jules Verne" (or Vynález zkázy by Karel Zeman from 1958)

A very weird but very impressive movie. It reminded me of the animation of Terry Gilliam in Monty Python - only much much better. The movie is a weird combo of stop-motion, real actors, papercut animation, 3d animation etc. The enitre film looks like a moving 19th century steel-engraved picture. The story itself is based upon 3 books of Jules Verne. Difficult to get on DVD but well worth the effort for those interested. Highly Recommended!!

A clip from Youtube:
[url:1sqfq1qp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAQ5CY9kyR4[/url]
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
AGORA directed by Alejandro Amenábar (2009) and starring Rachel Weisz and Max Minghella. Notwithstanding historical inaccuracies (not least the soldiers' armour) it was a moving story of the rational philosopher Hypatia set against the rising militancy of the Christians in Alexandria and the waning grip of the pagan and Jewish communities. I recommend it highly to those interested in thoughtful epics.

[attachment=0:1ynx6eev]<!-- ia0 51xcx+4gH7L._SS400_.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1ynx6eev]
Lindsay Powell
[url:1j6646pm]http://www.Lindsay-Powell.com[/url] website
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
Thanks Lindsay - want to see Agora but I don't think it has hit the cinemas here yet.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Vindex, I believe AGORA has come and gone already: it is already on PAL DVD across Europe, including UK. One to rent from Blockbuster?
Lindsay Powell
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
Yes, Agora is already available on DVD & Blu-ray. I suspect you will be able to see it on cable via On-Demand very soon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ra&x=0&y=0

Interestingly, the US DVD release is Agora whereas the European DVD & Blu-ray is titled "The Mists of Time."

No US Blu-ray yet.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
@Narukami, all the European and US editions are called AGORA, but their sub-titles - if indeed they have them - vary: it comes down to the marketing departments of the local distributors to make the determination. The Mists of Time seems to be attached to the Spanish version on Amazon.co.uk though that name does not appear on the cover art - so it could just be a data entry error. In Germany the cover states AGORA - Die Säulen des Himmels (Columns of the Heavens). In UK and France I do not see a sub-title on the cover. For the DVD/Blu-Ray release schedule see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/releaseinfo

As a historical backgrounder to the story see http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/charl ... l-classics
Lindsay Powell
@Lindsay_Powell twitter
@Vindex - very sorry to hear about your dog. Was it old age, or an illness/other? (asks the vet)

@others - I'd been attracted to Agora initially, and then put off by some of the reviews I'd read. Now I will go back to it because of your recommendations. Thanks.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
[Image: immer_nie_am_meer_250.jpg]

Immer nie am Meer - a strange Austrian Film about three guys, who are trapped in a car after an accident. :twisted:
--- Marcus F. ---
I watched "Dear John" yesterday. I thought it would be a cheesy romance involving an American soldier in the Iraq war and his stateside girlfriend, but it actually turned out to have a compelling plot and a couple of good story lines. And Channing Tatum in an Army uniform is always a good thing. Lucky for me, he's in "The Eagle" movie, to be released in February 2011. Channing Tatum as a Roman soldier! :wink:
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Nil illegitimi carborundum...Don\'t let the ba*tards get you down.

Luctor et emergo...I struggle and I arise.
I have bought and watched the "Original International Version" of "Red Cliff". 288 minutes of goodness. Big Grin It explains alot more and key scenes aren't cut out; for example the Repeating Crossbows.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:Channing Tatum in an Army uniform is always a good thing. Lucky for me, he's in "The Eagle" movie, to be released in February 2011. Channing Tatum as a Roman soldier! :wink:

But is he any good as an actor? One of the main concerns I've read about this eagerly awaited film is that he's not that convincing (in general). I sincerely hope that this is incorrect, as I'm already champing at the bit for this movie.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:
bellatrix:105si48b Wrote:Channing Tatum in an Army uniform is always a good thing. Lucky for me, he's in "The Eagle" movie, to be released in February 2011. Channing Tatum as a Roman soldier! :wink:

But is he any good as an actor? One of the main concerns I've read about this eagerly awaited film is that he's not that convincing (in general). I sincerely hope that this is incorrect, as I'm already champing at the bit for this movie.

All joking about his looks aside, I do think he's a good actor. He's been very convincing in his other roles. I think what might throw people off is his accent...he's originally from Alabama, but to me he has a northern-sounding accent. So maybe if he delivered his lines in a more classical way, devoid of his current accent, he might be taken more seriously. I'm curious to see how he handles the role of Marcus!

I think people are used to seeing classically-trained actors in movies about Rome, so an American actor with no classical training in this role might be a bit of a stretch for some viewers. Either way, I am so excited about this movie!
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Nil illegitimi carborundum...Don\'t let the ba*tards get you down.

Luctor et emergo...I struggle and I arise.